( search forums )
Autoupdate/notification
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Snipedmyself
October 19, 2005, 6:13 am
when you open soldat everything is normal but in your exit window, where you change profiles you can get a message from michal/programmers notifying you of updates and changes to download. maybe you could download them from the screen right there too. you can also turn this off in the config.exe

This would keep alot of people in the know, this especially helps for very lazy people that would rather fall into obsoleteness than go all the way to a site to update. And say if there was a lobby problem this would spare a few hundred threads here.

xtishereb
October 19, 2005, 9:22 pm
That'd be great. It's perfect for people who like integration. It shouldn't be turned off, but instead should be a "check for updates" button that you can press on the exit/profiles page.

zyxstand
October 19, 2005, 9:32 pm
yeah, or a box that's in the profile page that says "NEW VERSION OF SOLDAT AVAILABLE - DOWNLOAD HERE" and you can just click it and it'll exit soldat and download the new version - or maybe download the patch automatically and copmletely self-install itself or something...good idea

Deleted User
October 20, 2005, 3:37 am
Not an auto download..cause what if people want to keep an old version,and it wipes over it?
This has been suggested before,and I still want it,just a little alert that says NEW VERSION
Instead of having to goto the website,or get on and find out you cant join a game.

Deleted User
October 20, 2005, 6:13 am
dont you have to have a central server for all the other computers to get the notice from, like the reason why the nicknames cant be saved and crap

Keron Cyst
October 20, 2005, 6:45 pm
I don't know why I didn't think of this. Full support!

a-4-year-old
October 20, 2005, 9:57 pm
i love the "check for updates thing" mabe it could be for only registered ppl because they are sooo much better than us poor people who can't support it yet.

Vijchtidoodah
October 20, 2005, 11:21 pm
It would be nice. This way, Michal could also add little updates to, say...deter hackers whenever he wants.

For now, Enesce made a nice little program that notifies you of updates here.

Taal, Enesce (that handy little guy) also made a nickname registration program that works on cooperating servers (U13, among others). You can get that here.

Snipedmyself
October 21, 2005, 8:04 am
quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-oldi love the "check for updates thing" mabe it could be for only registered ppl because they are sooo much better than us poor people who can't support it yet.

You're fine. :}- Or if this is considered- when you are unregistered you must go to the web site, if you are registered you get a fast download with out even leaving soldat. the reason this might be used is because what taal says.

quote:Originally posted by taaldont you have to have a central server for all the other computers to get the notice from, like the reason why the nicknames cant be saved and crap
Yes, that's why what a 4 year old said, then changed by me uptop is what i'm thinking. and, this wouldn't be so bad a server it would contain something like a .txt file that soldat downloads when you start the first time that day/every hour or so you're in the menu. the txt would say "No updates today. Enjoy Soldat." or "Updates coming on dd-mm-yy [Details]" details, another file telling you more. we want to keep it simple, dont wanna bog up the display. the server would have the things to put in the update box and the update files(maybe).

I hate to contradict myself but the box could be used for advertising also. I dont wanna see "Do you suffer from heartburn ever? click here for a NOT spam/virus combo" "My life was terrible, i was depressed, sad, suicidal and about to lose my job. Until i did it, i finally did it my life is back on track and life is perfect once again. (Learn more about Botox Cosmetic)"
I mean i want soldat shirts on sale again! now that i have money :)