( search forums )
CTF_Xenonia 1.1 by Boxo - Updated, Re-DL!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Quality Maps
Boxo
October 19, 2005, 9:13 pm
[IMAGE]

Ok, I finished my fourth map in the series of non-symmetric CTF maps named after gases :P. I think Xenonia turned out pretty nice. I haven't tested it estensively, but it's pretty balanced from my experience. Any constructive criticism in very welcome. Thanks to SoldatPage for the hosting. The texture is Soap's, so props to him too.

* Not waypointed. if you waypoint it, PM me the link and i'll update.
* Smallish map, good for 2v2-3v3

EDIT:
Updated the map to 1.1. New features:

* waypointed (nice job, Keron Cyst)
* fixed shading
* an exploitable bug removed
* one bravo spawnpoint added

Pls redownload the map.
1.1 is offline for now, until i manage to fix thewaypoints :/. Dl the old version:

Download: http://mr.netpub.org/map.php?id=112

DePhille
October 19, 2005, 9:40 pm
The upper-left corner of the map is a very good example of what and how shading looks like. The Borders of the map give it a look of a dungeon. I hope the background won't lag on slower machines because it really gives the map it's personality , along with the broken bridges and the pit in the centre :).

Grtz , DePhille

Deleted User
October 19, 2005, 10:01 pm
i like teh..

the layout is well made and the map aint bad either:p

Deleted User
October 19, 2005, 11:22 pm
i will waypoint!!! :P :D

Hoodlum
October 20, 2005, 12:31 am
Pretty nice but whats with everyone and big drops nowadays?

Cookie.
October 20, 2005, 12:42 am
First thing I thought when I saw this was literally "oooooooo pretttty"
:D

Not sure how balanced it would be though, whether Red's side lack of obstacles would help them or blue

Deleted User
October 20, 2005, 1:15 am
EDIT:in testing...

wow, this ones pretty hard to waypoint :D
the mid"arena area" and the lower area under red base are jacked :P

Silent Soldier
October 20, 2005, 6:23 am
It's very pretty, but when I played it in my own server, it seems that the map is a bit too hard for Aplha, it hasn't got cover.

grand_diablo
October 20, 2005, 2:58 pm
I adore the maps look, but I fear the left side needs to be rebalanced.

Boxo
October 20, 2005, 3:17 pm
Some people say alpha has an advantage, some say it's bravo :S. Personally i think it's fair, but what do you think should be rebalanced and how?

grand_diablo
October 20, 2005, 3:24 pm
maybe make the space in front of alpha base a bit less "open"?

DePhille
October 20, 2005, 3:50 pm
In my opinion , the map is quite fair. I think it depends of the type of player , a close combat player will more like the blue side and a sniper or long-range player is better on the left side. The right side can easily be nade spawned , unless you're not skilled enough and throw your nades too far from the spawn point.
The alpha team can more easily be nade spawned because it's in a pit. But to nadespawn alpha you need to get in the wide open and thus making you more vulnurable.

I really think it's balanced to keep it short :P

Grtz , DePhille

DeMonIc
October 20, 2005, 6:35 pm
Sweet Mary mother of God, that's one sweet map. The looks are great, and though it may seem unbalanced, I'd imagine the gameplay to be similiar to nuubia.

grand_diablo
October 20, 2005, 7:37 pm
Ill find it out and set it on my public serv

Keron Cyst
October 20, 2005, 8:46 pm
Suggestion for the bottom; put a fatal two-vertex polygon (actually just put two of its vertices on the same point so its practically a line) so people can't just jump off and respawn without gaining a death. Put three strips just in case it's too thin that people can bypass it :-P

Deleted User
October 21, 2005, 3:15 pm
good idea, the lower left(open area) is very difficult to waypoint :S

lithium
October 21, 2005, 5:46 pm
Teh rox. It's at least as well-balanced as b2b.

Deleted User
October 21, 2005, 6:50 pm
Very nice

Maps are becoming better and better these days.

I like this trend of rusty reds and oranges, they look very nice.

Boxo
October 21, 2005, 7:13 pm
I guess I'll leave the map as it is now, then. It appears to be pretty balanced.

semagae: I can see why you're having problems waypointing. I'm not going to change anything to make it easier for the bots, though :/.

Keron Cyst: I tested your deadly line-polygons. They're pretty useless; everything just goes through them unhurt. A polygon with a 180 degree corner apparently doesn't collide with anything.
And people jumping down the pit to respawn isn't really a problem; it's a long fall and all you gain is one less death in the stats. Doing /kill would get you back to base more quickly.

Keron Cyst
October 22, 2005, 12:03 am
quote:Originally posted by Boxo... I tested your deadly line-polygons. They're pretty useless; everything just goes through them unhurt....
Aww :-P Eh, it was worth a try.

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 12:38 am
I d/l it. Was a nice map, and I loved the fall section, very nice. :P

Keron Cyst
October 22, 2005, 1:09 am
I've just tried my first serious hand at waypointing. The only major thing I've been able to do is get Alpha bots to fly across the gap... xP I'll see what more I can do.

Michal
October 22, 2005, 1:40 am
A superb map as usual, but the name reminds me of my chemistry homework ;<

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 1:43 am
Wow! Awesome map! :D
Perhaps a few more "floating islands", but thats just a pet peeve. I'm sure it plays just fine... ;x

Keron Cyst
October 22, 2005, 3:08 am
Wow. I'm actually quite pleased with today's work!

I have playtested time and time again and even though I see that a bot usually jams somewhere every one in four matches or so (then again even some official maps have waypoint problems so it's not a big deal), both bots from both teams are able to go to every place possible, even the area under the catwalk on Alpha's side (getting them into those tiny cracks IMO was even harder than having them cross the bridge gap).

[Edit Hack by Boxo]LINK REMOVZ0R3D[/Edit Hack by Boxo]

*goes to PM Boxo about my achievements in one day :-P*

EDIT @Boxo: I put an extra Bravo spawn point on the ledge in the top-right to make Team 2 soldaten more likely to take the northern path, and a SP behind the flag so some will go in the middle more too. If you don't like 'em you can remove 'em, I guess...

Source
October 22, 2005, 5:53 am
the shading at the top of the map is simply amazing. =o

Boxo
October 22, 2005, 12:38 pm
I updated the main post, everyone go and download the new version!

Keron Cyst:
Ok, updated the main post. Nice work on the waypoints, the bots are quite good, they don't get stuck that often. Can you remove the link on your post so people don't download your version and get confused :S?
The extra spawnpoint fits in pretty nicely, so I left it there, too.

Michal:
Heh, yes. I've been naming my nonsymmetric CTF maps after noble gases. I've got Argon, Radon, Krypton and Xenon down, and Neon and Helium to go ;P.

Thanks for all the feedback :>.

Keron Cyst
October 22, 2005, 4:03 pm
I noticed that! "Neonia" will sound weird :-/

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 5:03 pm
sorry but i dun see any waypointing in the map named "CTF_Xenonia (1.1)"
did u upload the latest one in the server?

btw the map pwns :)

Boxo
October 22, 2005, 5:25 pm
Just checked, it doesn't have the waypoints after all O_O

Weird, they were there when i uploaded it, dunno WTF happened. I'll try to fix this. >_>

Keron Cyst
October 22, 2005, 6:25 pm
Should I put up another link?...

Boxo
October 22, 2005, 6:41 pm
Yeah, go ahead

GAMEOVER
October 22, 2005, 6:52 pm
That looks awesome

Keron Cyst
October 23, 2005, 2:10 am
http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/197885/ctf_Xenonia.PMS

And get it this time! :-P

Cookie.
October 23, 2005, 3:31 am
"Heh, yes. I've been naming my nonsymmetric CTF maps after noble gases. I've got Argon, Radon, Krypton and Xenon down, and Neon and Helium to go ;P."

Noble gases pfffft, I'm gunna start naming my maps after the Actinides :P

warpo
October 23, 2005, 4:54 am
its-a sooo pwetty

Keron Cyst
October 23, 2005, 5:59 am
My state is recognized on an international table!

"Californium" xP

N1nj@
October 24, 2005, 10:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by Cookie."Heh, yes. I've been naming my nonsymmetric CTF maps after noble gases. I've got Argon, Radon, Krypton and Xenon down, and Neon and Helium to go ;P."

Noble gases pfffft, I'm gunna start naming my maps after the Actinides :P

ewwwwwwwwwww chemistry!

Korinth
October 25, 2005, 5:21 am
quote:Originally posted by Keron CystMy state is recognized on an international table!

"Californium" xP

But are u the beer, cheese and brat state?

Anyway about the map, like at first glance it looks uneven but when u stop and look both teams are on equal playing fields

not to mention how good it looks