( search forums )
Soldat Hacker's IP list
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server discussion
skatardude10
October 19, 2005, 11:12 pm
Here is a list of people's ip's I have banned from hacking on my server

Anyone else please feel free to post any ip's that you have banned. Please, NO fake / NO false ip adresses / NO ip adresses of people who you have NOT cought cheating.

IP's:

[CENSORED]

I hope this will deter people from Hacking on public servers. Hacking is not good. Hacking WILL get you banned on my server, and anyone else who choses to ban these ip's. I will update this list as more people are cought.

The Geologist
October 19, 2005, 11:21 pm
Isn't this against the rules in some way? Not supposed to post names/IP's/pictures of hackers...

FliesLikeABrick
October 20, 2005, 12:58 am
yeah this is very much against the rules, unfortunately. edit out the list to save a mod the trouble of doing it

skatardude10
October 20, 2005, 1:15 am
Ok, sorry, let me check on the rules and get on that.

skatardude10
October 20, 2005, 1:22 am
I read in the rules. The rules say I can't name the person, or give pictures of them, to give them any fame. Unless somebody knows that ip xx.xxx.xx.xx is "whatever name," I do not see how giving an ip is naming a person in particular, or giving that person any fame. I will let a MOD decide if they should be deleted or not. I think this is a good way to get rid of cheaters.

FliesLikeABrick
October 20, 2005, 1:59 am
skatardude, correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the title under my nickname says Moderator.

skatardude10
October 20, 2005, 2:09 am
Oh, I appologize, I did not see that. If you think it should be deleted, go ahead and delete it because you reserve the right to do that. At the same time though, I feel that the rules are not specific, thus they do not infringe on my right to post information of this type on the forums regarding hackers.

I feel this is a good way to let people know that if they are cought hacking, in public servers that is, that they will be punished. Soldat is meant to be played fairly, and I want to do anything I can to keep it that way. Untill Mike can get some hacker protection built into the game, I think doing this will take a small load off the backs of everyone who runs servers, and especially off the backs of the group of fair soldat players as a whole.

mar77a
October 20, 2005, 3:13 am
The problem is, he is not moderator from this sub-forum. By teh way, i dont support this idea, since many people would get banned for other reasons.

Leo Da Lunerfox
October 20, 2005, 5:24 am
You come from a good stand point skatardude10, and I respect your decision to help fight against Hackers, but putting up IPs are an impractical means to stop them. All they have to do is change their IP real fast, and then they've fixed their banned problem. Also, a system like this is easily corrupted, and thus will cause more problems.

Deleted User
October 20, 2005, 6:46 am
IP's are considered confidential information or somthing like that...

n00bface
October 20, 2005, 9:22 am
I censored the IPs just because I guess it violates some forum rule or could be abused or something. I think it's a good idea though, you could ask people to PM you for the IP list and additions or something. I've personally added the IPs to my server banlist.

i am ahab
October 20, 2005, 10:12 am
what we need is an sql database of banned ingame names and ip's!
*nudges brick*
i'll have my c remote banning script done in a few days. sry dudes ive been busy and wanting to put useful things in but in my spare time research has dragged me away from actually getting something done. seriously bricks though if you get any free time over the next few months this is something i'd like to put up.... :/

Deleted User
October 20, 2005, 12:14 pm
Ive got a list of hacker names sitting around on the NR-Service server; want that?

i am ahab
October 20, 2005, 12:21 pm
maybe...

I had more in mind a global sql database that can be consulted by a client. The client could either maybe update its internal list of known banned ips by talking to the server, or ask the server each time an ip joins.

What was the NR service? Did you need to register to use it.... sry can you explain it to me in easy speak please I have a headache.... :/

FliesLikeABrick
October 20, 2005, 12:31 pm
The problem isn't privacy or anything, but it is at least partially the fact that most people do not want to go out blindly banning a list of IPs someone gave them. I'm not saying you would do this, but we have no idea if these people are actually hackers or if they are a mix of hackers and people that you dislike or were banned for other reasons.

Also, some fanatical script kiddie on here may get the bright idea to DDOS these "bad people," which is obviously bad and illegal, not to mention the fact that these are open forums and they could potentially show up on google.

Anyone with half a brain knows that the odds of someone abusing an IP are very very slim, but in general it makes people feel slightly more comfortable if their IP isnt posted, hacker or otherwise

i am ahab
October 20, 2005, 12:43 pm
i'm fairly sure you addressing the "why cant i post peoples banned ip's" issue, and what you say is true.

but, going off topic to address the issue:
if we were going to look into storing these in an sql database on a server, then access would be restricted to clients that perform the correct handshake. no single person other than the host of the database on the server would otherwise be able to access it as the password would be coded into an executable.

also considering that the people may not actually be evil hacking types, i'd thought about timestamping the bans, and having them auto lifted after a week or 2, depending on maybe how they got banned, or any other factors you care to think of....

PureGrain
October 20, 2005, 12:49 pm
Before I would waist the time adding all of these IP's to a sql/compiled database. I would work on some sort of system that will make a user sign up and issue them a GAME GUID of some sorts. This will issue that user a unique ID for that particular user and it must stick with the user the whole time they play logged in as that user. That I know is much more complex but it really is about the only way to thwart the person without exposing or using their IP address.

Deleted User
October 20, 2005, 1:47 pm
Wow nice idea; if no one else is going to do this I sure as hell will...

i am ahab
October 20, 2005, 3:02 pm
a nice thought. but isn't that what enesces nr service did though? btw that boom head shot thing thing really gets on my tits :/

in the real world people who want to hack will just play in any public server. no guid will stop them.

it wouldnt be wasting time. it would be fairly easy to parse the ip and ban them. and as the process would be automated no ip would ever be exposed so i dont see why thats an issue. its the database bit im unsure of.

FliesLikeABrick
October 20, 2005, 3:07 pm
since enesce already has the system in place with NR, i'd say let him try out the idea and tell us the pitfalls :P

skatardude10
October 20, 2005, 9:05 pm
Thank you everyone for all of the replies. I agree with you guys. I got an e-mail from Mike that says he is working on a detection system for the hack in the game. Maybe a login system with a soldat anti-cheat system, like Valves does with Valve anti-cheat, would work best. That way the system could be updated every week or two, and the update could be automatically downloaded by the game when you connect to a server, just like when you would download a map or something.

Just to re-assure any of you though, I have not banned anyone simply because of bad conduct or anything. So if anyone wants the list of ips that I have collected, you can message me, or e-mail me at skatardude10@gmail.com

mar77a
October 20, 2005, 9:21 pm
Mike?

I support Enesce's idea.

Messiah
October 21, 2005, 4:11 am
Yeah it just wouldnt work, your mindset is good but this just isnt the way to do it, nice to see people trying to figure out ways to decrease the amount of hackers even though they dont work sometimes.

Ken the Great
October 28, 2005, 1:34 pm
pretty weird that I had the same idea about UserNames some days ago..
well I support the idea about UserName login, although it might mean namestealing (using someone else's name) depending on how it's made.
I think that some hack-detector is very needed right now, since it's pretty common to use hacks right now, so I hope theree will be something pretty soon that can help in the 'war against hacking'
Also as a little addition I'd like to see an improvement of the chat so it can support like multi-line messages and not making the text smaller.. and support for åäö ;)

Deleted User
November 4, 2005, 9:32 am
i like the idea too, but there is still the problem, who decides about hacking or not hacking.

if i play in a server and had a real high ping or other see me warping around, but its only a client-server problem or u are the only good player on the server and other kickvote you, coz they cant believe, that u playing this good by skill ... or they just dont like u ....
am i going to be listed in this 'banlist' then?

i wouldnt like to get banned for 2 weeks to whole soldat, coz some kid maybe just dont like meh ...
or am i fundamentally wrong with my thoughts?

PureGrain
November 4, 2005, 3:37 pm
That is a very good point which is why a Community ban is not the answer. Admins should be able to BAN from their own servers like they do now but by a GUID of sorts. Each "registered" member should have a GUID number which tells the SOLDAT world who they are. So if you log into a server the serer see's you as say "GUID 777" If your GUID number is on the ban list, then you cannot have access too the server. Also, to combat the fact that most are non registered users. You can have your server set to "registered only" to help combat this as well. That of coarse would have to come from the serverside software for the most part but could be done for sure.

timyung
January 21, 2006, 1:44 pm
nice idea! i will put them on my ban list

FliesLikeABrick
January 21, 2006, 9:24 pm
don't bump an old topic, especially one like this which was censored in the first place.