( search forums )
Real Life Barretts
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Swarmer
October 20, 2005, 2:24 am
I stumbled across this video one day:
http://www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/50calt1.rm
[EDIT]: you need RealPlayer to view it.

It's pretty long, but interesting. It was a sniper school training video about the barrett.

It can penetrate a 3.5 inch steel manhole cover... thats pretty scary.

A barrett is an anti-material weapon, meant to take out small vehicles, stationary aircraft, or parts of buildings, like a radar outpost or something. Im not sure why it's in soldat, but excessive violence is hilarious, so it gets my approval.

By the way: I am SO glad soldat barretts arent realistic. Watching them fire it in the video in semi-auto was disturbing. I'm glad they dont fire that fast in soldat (about as fast as a deagle), although thats what they can do.

peemonkey
October 20, 2005, 3:13 am
.50 cal's kick ass in general. i havent seen an M82A1, but an Armalite AR-50 is ALWAYS at the range i frequent, because the owner is a class 3 dealer, and massive gun freak...i see my future every time i go there XD

F3nyx
October 20, 2005, 3:17 am
Yeah, that whole "reality" thing just doesn't prioritize weapon balance like it ought to.

Supposedly it's against the Geneva Convention to use a .50 caliber sniper rifle as an anti-personnel weapon, because bullets of that size can easily tear off limbs and so forth. Kind of an arbitrary distinction, if you ask me.

Deleted User
October 20, 2005, 3:54 am
I've got a vid of some terrorists being blown apart by a 50. caliber (It must be 50. to, to smash the rocks up like that).

Know where I could host it?

EDIT: Its not as bad as it sounds, they're pretty far away. But it is almost scary the way that a single shot's impact looks like a grenade going off.

EDIT: Got it!
[URL]

Deleted User
October 20, 2005, 6:17 am
It is odd though, that it travels at supersonic speed, but it breaks up very quickly in water. Saw it on Mythbusters :o

Social Poison
October 20, 2005, 8:22 am
That was a freaking rad video. Nice find.

Zegovia
October 20, 2005, 1:19 pm
quote:Originally posted by Meep.It is odd though, that it travels at supersonic speed, but it breaks up very quickly in water. Saw it on Mythbusters :o

I saw that too, it whas awesome!

Yeah i think all the barret whiners should have this in mind.

ps: Hey Meep, are you the Meep i know from flecko?

Mielos
October 20, 2005, 5:05 pm
quote:Yeah i think all the barret whiners should have this in mind.
As stated before, soldat should not be realistic.

TheRelinquished
October 21, 2005, 1:56 am
That made me happy.

And I have to disagree with Mielos. I enjoy the realisms of Soldat. Combined with the unrealisms.

peemonkey
October 21, 2005, 2:24 am
yea dude, jetpacks. respawning. jumping 40 feet at a time. non-realism.

Swarmer
October 21, 2005, 3:22 am
I can jump 40 feet. Typical asian powers.

peemonkey
October 21, 2005, 3:59 am
oh yea? then can you.........nevermind. lousy racist.

F3nyx
October 21, 2005, 5:20 am
quote:Originally posted by Officer_BulbockI've got a vid of some terrorists being blown apart by a 50. caliber (It must be 50. to, to smash the rocks up like that).

EDIT: Its not as bad as it sounds, they're pretty far away. But it is almost scary the way that a single shot's impact looks like a grenade going off.
Is that the one that's in night vision from the helicopter gun camera? If so, I'm 99% positive that it's not a .50 caliber machine gun, but rather a 20mm autocannon or something similarly explosive.

GAMEOVER
October 21, 2005, 7:08 am
Of all the soldat versions that have came out ive yet to see a new weapon added. Id love to see the barret go and be replaced by a toned down rifle of some sort or like nun chucks as a secondary o_o

F3nyx
October 21, 2005, 7:36 am
quote:Originally posted by GAMEOVEROf all the soldat versions that have came out ive yet to see a new weapon added. Id love to see the barret go and be replaced by a toned down rifle of some sort or like nun chucks as a secondary o_o
The Ruger already fills the slot of "toned down rifle" pretty well. And didn't the Steyr AUG replace the M4 Carbine early on? That was before my time, but I think I saw it in the version history. Anyway, please don't turn this into a Barret bashing thread... we're discussing the real-life weapon and it's 100% bada$$.

GAMEOVER
October 21, 2005, 7:41 am
I didnt bash anything just said what I said, nothing more, nothing less.

Snipedmyself
October 21, 2005, 8:19 am
quote:Originally posted by F3nyx ...And didn't the Steyr AUG replace the M4 Carbine early on? That was before my time, but I think I saw it in the version history. Anyway, please don't turn this into a Barret bashing thread... we're discussing the real-life weapon and it's 100% bada$$.

yes. In 0.9.7b The m4 got replaced

I saw that mythbusters too, that's the kinda show i'd make if i had too much of a networks money too waste.

And on the history channel i saw a couple sniper training things and the barret was talked about, and they showed when there was a guy with a hostage and "the lonegunman" (was a sniper on the swat er sumtin, not a civilian) shot the revolver out of the hostage takers' hand and cops proceeded to gently put him in cuffs.

Deleted User
October 21, 2005, 8:46 pm
I never realized how powerful some guns actually were.
Last weekend I shot a .44 cal pistol with a scope. It pierced through a somewhat thick tree, pretty amazing.

warpo
October 22, 2005, 2:42 am
did it use ap bullets?armour piecing?if it did it maybe would leave a big ass hole in kevelar r something[i need to goto guns 101]

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 3:17 am
now try it out on some cops, and blame in on grand theft auto, everyone else is doing it

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 4:36 am
quote:Originally posted by F3nyxquote:Originally posted by Officer_BulbockI've got a vid of some terrorists being blown apart by a 50. caliber (It must be 50. to, to smash the rocks up like that).

Is that the one that's in night vision from the helicopter gun camera? If so, I'm 99% positive that it's not a .50 caliber machine gun, but rather a 20mm autocannon or something similarly explosive.

No, its another one. I don't know where to put it up though xD

EDIT: Here we go... (Its fixed now!)
[URL]

F3nyx
October 22, 2005, 6:16 am
That popup window on your link kept disappearing, even when I turned the blocker off. However, here's a direct link to the zip file: http://m00.laughingllamas.com/fileupload/store/Iraq_Video.zip

edit: Whoa.

UnStOpAbLe
October 22, 2005, 8:39 am
Yes, i did know barrets shoot like that lol im thinking why have a gun that can blow up a vehcle in a game without vehcles lol but its quite funny when well....ka-banng "hey look theres my head"

Shivorken
October 22, 2005, 12:57 pm
In the Iraq video, they werent blowing up rocks ... they were all mountain animals :O

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 2:55 pm
Not sure which bullets my grandpa put in them. It left a hole in some glue can that you could fit your thumb through, though. It was damn loud too (orly?). I went semi-deaf shooting it with headphones on.

Swarmer
October 24, 2005, 10:50 pm
those were animals in those videos? ouch. they flew apart. awesome.

Deleted User
October 25, 2005, 4:03 am
quote:Originally posted by Mielosquote:Yeah i think all the barret whiners should have this in mind.
As stated before, soldat should not be realistic.

It's here so it's here, why would we get rid of it? Many people enjoy realistic mode.

JoEcOoL
October 25, 2005, 4:54 am
im accualy SCARED of barrets. N00bs have a thing for laws and barrets for some reason.

JoEcOoL
October 25, 2005, 4:55 am
im scared of barrets....

F3nyx
October 25, 2005, 5:20 am
Welcome to the forums. The edit button is the one with the little pencil.

Echo_Trail
October 25, 2005, 8:37 am
that's just sick.. By The Way, i fire just about that fast...:D

Kaider
November 4, 2005, 5:42 pm
I knew it!!! I now take a new fascination to watching my poor little victims' body parts fly across the map. And I love when my invisible head gets shot across the map.

<
<

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 6:05 am
Holy [CENSORED]...barret...powerful..Thats just bad.

DePhille
November 5, 2005, 9:53 am
FliesLikeABrick made a cannon and fimed it.
I don't know it for sure but i think he made a .50 and a .100 caliber or something.
(I'm not caliber-familiar :) ).
Maybe he should post the link public :)

The @venger
November 6, 2005, 9:09 pm
In fact, the barret bullet travels so quickly, and is so huge, it dosnt even neen to make contact to kill a person, merely the wawe of air hitting a person is enough to skin ones head, if not completely remove it.

DePhille
November 6, 2005, 9:43 pm
Cool. it's like an RPG. The people in a tank are all ash even before the rocket explodes. The crush of the rocket onto the metal makes enough heat to make them fried chickens.

Deleted User
November 8, 2005, 11:30 am
i have a question. not many of you will know about this cartridge im about to mention, but its worth a try.
which is better? .460 wby mag or .50 bmg?