( search forums )
forum improvement
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
zyxstand
October 20, 2005, 5:21 am
Dear Admin, I understand this is not the correct section for this topic and I've removed my old thread from the appropriate topic and i'm moving it to here only because not a single person apparently reads it there (been there 2 days no reviews.)
if you RLY must move this can you perhaps make a 'copy' of this and also post it in the other section - i want people to actually READ this AND comment!

Thank's
zyxstand

a minor improvement primarily used in the imrpovements sections:
an option that the author of a topic can put in a voting feature which can either be:
1 - "Thumbs up", "Undecisive", or "Thumbs down"
2 - Rate on a scale from 1 to 5 (or whatever number)

also, it'd be even better if one could put a comment directly linked to a "vote box" so that they appear together so that you know exactly what it is your voting on (ie: How good the idea is, or if you support what is being suggested, or any other form of tally or statistics for whatever reason)

and every registered member could be able to see this vote box (with description) in the main topic to vote on it by clicking it (once of course)

EDIT1:
another type of voting is also one from number 1 to 5 or whatever - except that it's not a gradient value (whereas the otherone is*). this can be used to appropirately get good tally results (ie: wats your fav. weapon: [list 3 weps with numbers])

EDIT2:
sry if i forgot to mention that every member can only vote ONCE - i assumed that was a given*

EDIT3:
from Echo_Trail:
you can "edit" your vote if you change your mind*

Deleted User
October 20, 2005, 5:55 am
zyx youve done it again. i think this, or a poll is a must have in any forum

i am ahab
October 20, 2005, 10:17 am
the problem with vote boxes is that they get spammed. for eg any barrett v m79 or weapon balance issue soon just gets outta hand and ends up in a game of handbags at 30 paces with everyone using size=1 font.

and you cannot go weighting someones opinion based on their number of posts.

i like the thought, but it needs some form of moderation. maybe the person who creates each poll could invite certain people to vote... although time consuming its one of my few thoughts on how to actually get a decent result.

zyxstand
October 20, 2005, 9:19 pm
i rly don't understand the problem with spamming, i am ahab - maybe one of my edits will answer it (though i doubt it)
if you could reformulate it plz...

i am ahab
October 21, 2005, 12:17 am
kk zyxstand i read edit 1 and edit 2 after your initial post,

my spamming point remains though, for example what if you have a number of forum members (not wanting to name names) who's opinions you do not care to know, and if they constitute the majority of your voters, is the final polled result still valid?

for example, you wish to know; would a server with only autos be a good idea? (not something that you might want to know but hey) and 95% of the people who vote are m79 or barret users, then your results are tarnished.... as they'll most likely answer stfu....

my point is simply that your target audience are not necessarily the people who will be answering you.......... ;)

zyxstand
October 21, 2005, 1:49 am
generally, the types of polls i was referring to were those that just look at the (entire) people's view on it. if i were to post a topic on whether people prefer to have full-auto servers (which i believe is what you meant) then i'd like everyone to be able to vote. targeting only specific people isn't all too practical i think... maybe you'd have to be at least captain or something to be able to vote. this'll prevent ppl from making mroe accounts to vote* but otherwise, how would you tell the poll which people to allow to vote anyway?

Marbire
October 21, 2005, 6:40 am
I think they should get rid of this forum and get vbulletin....

GAMEOVER
October 21, 2005, 6:55 am
vbull sucks >.<

Snipedmyself
October 21, 2005, 8:25 am
sounds good. I dont see a reason not too do it unless the forums would have to be shut down or possible fatal such as post count reset...

Deleted User
October 21, 2005, 9:09 am
actualy i am ahab may have a point, i normaly like to have the respected forum member,, such as the geologist, keron or cpatain ben, opinoins in my topics, but am often bombarded by the one offs, or idiots that shall not be named

Meandor
October 21, 2005, 10:58 am
Not that we don't want ratings, but, afaik, snitz forums don't support them and I don't think there's a mod for it. Plus mods are not always completely safe.
Changing forums shouldn't even be taken in consideration - probably it isn't possible to convert the snitz database.

Deleted User
October 21, 2005, 6:01 pm
quote:Originally posted by Taalactualy i am ahab may have a point, i normaly like to have the respected forum member.. such as the geologist, keron or cpatain ben, opinoins in my topics, but am often bombarded by the one offs, or idiots that shall not be named

Idiots are people too; more importantly though, they are a part of the population of Soldat players. Using the question "would an auto-only server be a good idea?" as an example:

You can't just ignore the users who don't use autos; the integrity of the statistical data you'd end up with would be questionable enough (being made up entirely of forumgoers as opposed to a random sample or census of the player population) without further alienating the population until you get results the that you want as opposed to what is the actual reality of the situation. The entire point of polls would be to determine whether you should set up that "auto-only" server, and playing pick-and-choose with who votes only distorts the data, making it more likely for you to set up that server and then proceeding to never see anyone on it.

But anyway, yeah, there's a Poll Mod for Snitz Forums 3.4.03... Of course, what it comes down to is whether the effort it would take to install and moderate the mod is worth it or not.

zyxstand
October 22, 2005, 5:18 am
quote:Originally posted by YoMammasMammaquote:Originally posted by Taalactualy i am ahab may have a point, i normaly like to have the respected forum member.. such as the geologist, keron or cpatain ben, opinoins in my topics, but am often bombarded by the one offs, or idiots that shall not be named

Idiots are people too; more importantly though, they are a part of the population of Soldat players. Using the question "would an auto-only server be a good idea?" as an example:

You can't just ignore the users who don't use autos; the integrity of the statistical data you'd end up with would be questionable enough (being made up entirely of forumgoers as opposed to a random sample or census of the player population) without further alienating the population until you get results the that you want as opposed to what is the actual reality of the situation. The entire point of polls would be to determine whether you should set up that "auto-only" server, and playing pick-and-choose with who votes only distorts the data, making it more likely for you to set up that server and then proceeding to never see anyone on it.

But anyway, yeah, there's a Poll Mod for Snitz Forums 3.4.03... Of course, what it comes down to is whether the effort it would take to install and moderate the mod is worth it or not.

exactly what he said. a real poll question would require EVERY person's view - because to make soldat a better game we have to consider what "the people" find to be good/bad about it (yes, we are turning this into a democracy unfortunately (unfortuantely meaning we're involving politics again...)...)...

UnStOpAbLe
October 22, 2005, 5:29 am
its a bad idea

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 5:49 am
No it isn't.

zyxstand
October 23, 2005, 2:08 am
quote:Originally posted by UnStOpAbLeits a bad idea

well, with my idea, i could just make a little poll where you can just click "yes" or "no" to state your side. so tell me again why you don't like it[?]

October 24, 2005, 11:33 pm
No.

There, I just made your idea redundant.

zyxstand
November 10, 2005, 11:56 pm
not rly, now people will have to scroll through the pages to see peoples' views. with MY idea, sticky, it could say all the way at the top in my topic how many voted yes or no or w.e it is... it's not for you to easily give your view - it's for the people to easily see it.

Echo_Trail
November 11, 2005, 7:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by i am ahabthe problem with vote boxes is that they get spammed. for eg any barrett v m79 or weapon balance issue soon just gets outta hand and ends up in a game of handbags at 30 paces with everyone using size=1 font.

and you cannot go weighting someones opinion based on their number of posts.

i like the thought, but it needs some form of moderation. maybe the person who creates each poll could invite certain people to vote... although time consuming its one of my few thoughts on how to actually get a decent result.

first, let m say: zyx, this is a great idea..
back on my reply: how about if avre user was only given one vote per topic?
and if u(like another example above, the 1-5 nr version) fx. voted 4, and then changed your opinion, u could just click an icon like the "edit reply" button..

Close Combat
November 11, 2005, 11:27 pm
YEA WHAT HE SAID^

YES MR.ADMINS sir we also need a SOLDAT player idea forum. We as players should be able to express our ideas and see them put into action! that is all. I STAY HIGH ALL THE TIME?

Deleted User
November 11, 2005, 11:44 pm
There are already two forums devoted to just that CC.

.Loki
November 12, 2005, 12:03 am
I'm pretty sure it's out of our control to change the soldat forums ourselves. It's not like Michal created the forum code himself or anything. To make any changes to the forums, we'd need an entirely different forum type.

Close Combat
November 12, 2005, 1:42 pm
YEAH WHAT he said^

DePhille
November 12, 2005, 6:47 pm
If any omprovement should be made it's changing to a non-MSDB forum.
This forum also had some downtime.
I have already contacted MM for this and i offered him a free webhost that could handle PHP and MySQL and probably other databases and script languages when asked (for free ofcourse).

I suggest not using the phpBB or Invison ones because the www is scattered with bugs and glitches for them to get hacked and killed.

I also think (and adviced MM) not to change to a new forum unless serious problems occur. The recent crashes weren't that serious as the DB kept alive and no posts were lost.

For the admins: If you do wish to use that host for the forums contact me trough PM.

Grtz , DePhille

Echo_Trail
November 13, 2005, 12:21 am
i agree with DePhille..
an all new forum is NOT what we want! A small adjustment will do.
I'm glad u take such an interrest in this, and thank u for that.
echo out

zyxstand
November 13, 2005, 7:15 pm
lol, all i wanted to begin with was this minor implementation... i dunno how anyone got the idea for a whole new type of forum. Although I do not know all too much about webhosting, it doesn't seem like such a big deal to implement a little voting feature... however i may be wrong.

DePhille
November 13, 2005, 8:35 pm
Because the forums were down again and because of this post and some other comments/suggestions on IRC channels and soldat servers I played on I wrote an email to MM again.

Last time i said that it was only needed when serious problems start to occur and this is happening more frequently. I've sent him some info about Forums that look like this one but that are more stable (PHP and MySQL instead of ASP and MSDB) and easier to edit (PHP is wider spread than ASP , same for MySQL vs MSDB). ANyway , i'm not going to post the whole mail here.

I think it's time to take some steps just in case it gets out of hand. For some of you: I'm not telling to change forums already but i'm advicing to take steps to change incase the downtime increases.

zyxstand: It really depends on what forum you are willing to edit. In this case Snitz is not too easy since it's written in ASP (not so familiarized as PHP) and it uses MSDB as databse (Far not so familiarized as MySQL). Ofcourse it's all possible but it ain't easy at all. That's also why i sent the mail , a PHP and MySQL forum is easier to edit so that small features can be added in a second.

Grtz , DePhille

zyxstand
November 17, 2005, 3:22 am
hmm instersting... i totally just don't understand the different types of whatever it is your talking about*
but from the options that i see that already exist, from my programming experience this could require only some manual work effort to implement this feature...

i hope the $9 per person is enough to fund this game...

Alamo
November 17, 2005, 9:21 am
Yes, we definitely do need something like this or something similar. Along with all the features that have been taken out of the forum to make it sleeker (or whatever).

Puuuuleaaaaase!

DePhille
November 17, 2005, 4:08 pm
Well all this forum stuff is difficult to explain.
Snitz is more difficult to edit (add small functions) , it is buggier (as you might have seen already).

It takes a hell lot of work to change a forum , but as i suggested it to MM i'm also willing to work with it when he decides to do it. he probably won't but i want to avoid losing theis whole DB of forum topics.

Grtz , DePhille