( search forums )
Map Idea
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
~Vin~
October 20, 2005, 2:00 pm
How about making a map crumble each time its shot at. For example if it gets shot by an M79 it usually just makes an explosion..but how about making it to where a piece of the land breaks off...like creates a crater..wouldnt that be sweet?
Imagine after a scrim....and the map is all gone but the ground

Metatag
October 20, 2005, 3:54 pm
Maybe there could be some destructible elements, but because of the way Soldat maps are made I don't think it would be a good idea to make all polys crumble.

Chameleon
October 20, 2005, 6:01 pm
and if the polys did fall apart, people would use it as an advantage for them selves, like they would repeatedly m79 the wall outside the flag on kampf, and create their own "secret" entrance, away from the battle, and they could just repeatedly go back and forth thru there. or they could create their own routes in maps, that werent supposed to be there, and mess up the stratagy of the map
in my opinion its not a good idea

Keron Cyst
October 20, 2005, 7:25 pm
It'd only be good for a few levels in the first place. What if someone sat at a grenade box respawn and kept throwing 'nades at the same area over and over again? What will become of that? What if the whole map is destroyed through explosives, what then? Will it regenerate? How, or at what event trigger? How long will the hole stay there? What will happen to soldaten who are in the gap when it regenerates? Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera...

And the map data in its current state is impossible to allow destroyable polygons anyways.

F3nyx
October 21, 2005, 4:56 am
I think the technical problem that Keron pointed out is by far the most significant one.

If Soldat's terrain were made with voxels instead of pixels, this would be entirely feasible. I don't think that deep craters would be a problem, as long as the terrain were deep enough to accomodate them, or there could be "bedrock zones" which couldn't be blasted away.

Heh, this idea brings back some sweet memories of Worms Armageddon. It's never going to happen, though... changing the terrain system would be as important as all of the so-far version changes put together.

peemonkey
October 21, 2005, 5:16 am
search function ftlog.
this has been discussed many many many times over.

Deleted User
October 25, 2005, 11:47 pm
well i think it should be likie a side feature such as "colliding,lava,hurt,regenerate ect...."

Stern
October 26, 2005, 12:07 am
What there could be is that certain parts of the map are destructible. These normally wouldn't regenerate during a match, but could regenerate between matches. Also, if the survival mode is enabled, the terrain would regenerate during rounds.

Also, it could probably be programmed in with little difficulty that the terrain could slowly regenerate while there are no soldats where it is/is supposed to be.

F3nyx
October 26, 2005, 12:56 am
Stern, the problem is that Soldat's terrain is made of large blocks called polygons. These polygons cannot have pieces blown out of them -- if that happened, they wouldn't be polygons anymore. So Soldat would probably need a new terrain system for this to work, which is an unprecedented level of change.

afly
October 26, 2005, 1:20 am
if it was able to be implemented the best way would be like tay go said I think. Where the person making the maps makes the polys(sounds like it will not work with polys but you get the idea)"Destructable" just like they would choose "lava".

Stern
October 26, 2005, 1:45 am
Couldn't the normal poly be changed by the editor to be made of many, many small polys that would have a certain amount of "health" and they could sustain a certain amount of damage before they disappeared?

warpo
October 26, 2005, 2:12 am
well not the terrian.....maybe sceney like boxes.......which made this example

Room 1

Camper:hahahaha im behind the box....jump over and i'll shoot you hard
Pro:DAMMIT!!!!!

Room 2....with exploding boxes n crap

Camper:hahaha im behind the box....jump over abd i'll kill you
Pro:No way!!!
*pro takes out m79 and shoots the box.....box blows up*
Camper:uhhhhhhhhhh
Pro:F.Y.A...this thing has one more grenade ready to burst right now...

thumbs up idea

F3nyx
October 26, 2005, 4:58 am
quote:Originally posted by SternCouldn't the normal poly be changed by the editor to be made of many, many small polys that would have a certain amount of "health" and they could sustain a certain amount of damage before they disappeared?
That's possible, but it might get really slow, as you'd be rendering about a hundred, maybe even a thousand times as many polygons. If you want little destructible pieces of landscape in a 2D game, your best bet is to simply build the landscape out of pixels rather than pixel-sized polygons, as in Liero or Worms.