( search forums )
ctf_zoolander - please be nice to a n00b...
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
dpkonofa
October 21, 2005, 9:48 am
Hey guys... This is my first Soldat map ever. I'm still learning the interface to Polyworks, but it's going well so far. I started Soldat editing for my level design class and now am rather enjoying it. Constructive criticism is welcome and much appreciated. It's small and simple, but please let me know what I've done well and what I can improve on. I'm not terribly good at playing the game so I doubt I'm terribly good at making levels yet...it's a start, though. :)

It's not botted. Here's a screen:

[IMAGE]

And here's the download link:
http://dpkonofa.3rror.com/games/ctf_zoolander.PMS

Silent Soldier
October 21, 2005, 11:51 am
Welcome to the mappers of Soldat. It reminds me of the map called Junglewar. It's nice, but it needs shading, so check the FAQs. Also change the background color.

dpkonofa
October 21, 2005, 2:03 pm
quote:Originally posted by Silent SoldierWelcome to the mappers of Soldat. It reminds me of the map called Junglewar. It's nice, but it needs shading, so check the FAQs. Also change the background color.

Thanks! I have been trying to figure out how to do shading, but I don't know if Polyworks just doesn't support it yet or what... Nothing I seem to do makes it work. I'll try some of the tutorials and post an update. Anyone else?

DeMonIc
October 21, 2005, 2:28 pm
PW does support shading, you just have to use the Colour Vertex tool.

Other than the shading, it's not a good idea to use a huge barrier of polygons around the map like that, because it causes massive FPS-drops on slower PC's, and it looks ugly too, if you don't shade it. Fiddle around with scenery transparency (Opacity in PW), and place more layers of sceneries so it looks more live (one background layer, almost invisible and one cover layer, which is almost fully visible). Try to avoid eye-stinging sceneries (like the one infront of the Bunkers).

About the map, it sure seems huge, and you placed 4 routes, which is a nono. I mean, players aren't going to find each other, barely any action even on 6v6. The bottom is too flat, I imagine it ending up like the alternate route of Equinox.. barret dominated.

Don't give up, it's pretty nice for a first map :)

Keron Cyst
October 21, 2005, 6:30 pm
He already knows of scenery transparency (look at the clouds); I know, that surprised me too :-o

:-P Try experimenting with polygon-shading, dpkonofa. Shading polygons under polygons (or wh'ever) makes people drool.

That's a good thing.

Deleted User
October 21, 2005, 6:47 pm
Stretch the textures.. Makes it non-linear and makes it look better

Shadaing would be good too.

It looks like a good map, but a tad too big.

dpkonofa
October 22, 2005, 3:32 am
Thanks guys! We played the level in class today and, out of all of them, it seemed like mine was near the top. Even with the 4 routes, we actually got plenty of encounters thanks to being able to cut in and out between the routes so much. I fiddled with the shading a little and it's looking better, but it's still not perfect. If there's one thing that was consistent with what you guys have been saying, it's that the map is a bit too big from end to end. It took a while for people to get across the map. If it was scaled in a little, it would be faster paced. Other than that, I'm pretty sure I got an A... I'll work on that some more and try posting another map too.

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 4:21 am
Getting marks at school for making levels?
You are living my dream xD

Also, that moon doesn't look very good. Make it transparent and bigger and it will be better.

dpkonofa
October 22, 2005, 6:08 am
yah... that was one of the first things i changed. the more and more i passed by it during playtesting, the more i realized that. i changed the background to an image...

numgun
October 22, 2005, 9:39 am
z00lander? doenst look like anything is related with the movie : P

rabidhamster
October 22, 2005, 6:35 pm
quote:Originally posted by dpkonofaThanks guys! We played the level in class today and, out of all of them, it seemed like mine was near the top. Even with the 4 routes, we actually got plenty of encounters thanks to being able to cut in and out between the routes so much. I fiddled with the shading a little and it's looking better, but it's still not perfect. If there's one thing that was consistent with what you guys have been saying, it's that the map is a bit too big from end to end. It took a while for people to get across the map. If it was scaled in a little, it would be faster paced. Other than that, I'm pretty sure I got an A... I'll work on that some more and try posting another map too.
i hate you. you get credit for making soldat maps.

GAMEOVER
October 22, 2005, 6:53 pm
Looks like itd have good game play.