( search forums )
Remove the automatic cigar taunt.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 12:13 am
If you stand still for 20 seconds or so, your character automatically does the cigar animation that takes a long time until you can actually move again. Happens to me sometimes when I have the flag which forces us to lose it. Just remove it >_<

Chonoryoku
October 22, 2005, 12:28 am
I just keep crouching over and over again, or switch my weapons, or some other thing. Stay active, move around a bit. <:

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 12:29 am
Well yeah... but why have it in there in the first place o_o

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 12:34 am
Yeah, poor MM is still in the old days, where it was cool to smoke.. Lol Jk, but yeah its kinda annoying.

BManx2000
October 22, 2005, 12:55 am
You could always crouch, or prone if you're so lazy that holding down a key is too much for you.

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 1:19 am
So what? Itd be convenient to have that removed. I agree.

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 1:51 am
Yeah, I would like it if the automatic one was removed. If you ever want to hide under something, the cig might give you away, too.

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 2:08 am
I never did understand the whole automatic "make you sit there and rip your hair out as you get killed and can't do anything about it" thing.

F3nyx
October 22, 2005, 6:22 am
Yeah, I'd kinda like to see this removed... probably the most annoying way to get killed.

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 7:06 am
but at least you die smoking a fine cubin cigar, best death ever

FliesLikeABrick
October 22, 2005, 7:15 am
quote:Originally posted by Meep.Yeah, I would like it if the automatic one was removed. If you ever want to hide under something, the cig might give you away, too.

the problem with this is...?

Taal: repeat after me: C-U-B-A-N

m00`
October 22, 2005, 7:57 am
wtf who cares, if your going to leave ur soldat without moving around for 20 seconds you shouldnt be playing soldat, the automatic animation smoking thingy is cool

frogboy
October 22, 2005, 8:05 am
You can always just shoot to stop it, you know. And it's not like Soldat is the only game that has an idle animation.

some_random_loser
October 22, 2005, 9:01 am
Wait, you want to make it easier to camp??

Silent Soldier
October 22, 2005, 9:02 am
quote:Originally posted by BManx2000You could always crouch, or prone if you're so lazy that holding down a key is too much for you.

Yeah, but sometimes it does the cigar in crouch position. O.o

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 2:59 pm
Multiplayer games shouldn't have an auto-animation. Especially ones you can't stop. Are you sure you can shoot to stop it? Maybe I wasn't trying hard enough >.>

Keron Cyst
October 22, 2005, 3:57 pm
Just push X twice. @Zambino: all animations can be stopped by shooting.

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 6:53 pm
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickquote:Originally posted by Meep.Yeah, I would like it if the automatic one was removed. If you ever want to hide under something, the cig might give you away, too.

the problem with this is...?

The smoke might give a person away.

person
October 22, 2005, 8:03 pm
I agree, it's just annoying. Why on f*cking Earth should I have to make sure I'm being vigilant about my every moment? It happens occaisonally, and it's just annoying. Either remove it or make it so the instant you do press a single button or mouse click it stops the animation and performs the desired action... that'd be my recommended course of action anyway.

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 9:40 pm
Meh. It happened again. I pressed fire, didn't stop it from happening. NEEDS TO GO.

a-4-year-old
October 22, 2005, 10:40 pm
no it doesn't, it is a cool thing, that, (if your not camping) does not really get in the way

warpo
October 22, 2005, 11:56 pm
maybe an option like after 1 min u smoke or after 5 minutes aka never...grade a idea

mar77a
October 23, 2005, 12:12 am
Pff, how stupid...Just press one key, D or A, or Q and you are done. When do you stand still for more than 20 secs, if you are not afk or typing?

By the way, Michal said that removing features is something he wouldnt do.

Deleted User
October 23, 2005, 1:28 am
Either typing or I have the flag most of the time.

mar77a
October 23, 2005, 2:17 am
Well, when you have the flag you dont have to be stataic or you will get pretty much "owned" by the other team.

person
October 23, 2005, 5:15 am
Another thing... why do people here continue to support the game's flaws? There is not a single positive in this little issue. I have never even noticed anyone "smoking" in the game before...

And personally, I find the blowing noise the player makes when smoking to be rather annoying.

LazehBoi
October 23, 2005, 5:22 am
quote:Originally posted by ZambinoEither typing or I have the flag most of the time.

Crouching when you have the flag works against that. You can always shoot, or prone to get out of it, too.

F3nyx
October 24, 2005, 10:06 pm
quote:Originally posted by LazehBoiquote:Originally posted by ZambinoEither typing or I have the flag most of the time.

Crouching when you have the flag works against that. You can always shoot, or prone to get out of it, too.
Why should I HAVE to crouch? Why can't I stand still with the flag for 20 seconds, perhaps trading information with the rest of my team, without the game doing something stupid and disabling? As person just pointed out, you seem to be stubbornly defending something that Soldat would be better off without.

The Geologist
October 24, 2005, 10:44 pm

quote:Originally posted by personAnother thing... why do people here continue to support the game's flaws? There is not a single positive in this little issue. I have never even noticed anyone "smoking" in the game before...

And personally, I find the blowing noise the player makes when smoking to be rather annoying.

Maybe we don't see this as a flaw in the game? Maybe, just maybe, people are capable of pressing a button or moving a fraction of an inch in those 20 seconds to prevent the animation from happening. If you can't do that, you're just damn lazy and I feel no sympathy. If you're the flag holder you NEED to be moving. You shouldn't even get the chance to be bothered by this animation. You even say you've never seen anyone smoking in game, so how can this animation be a problem?

quote:Originally posted by F3nyxWhy should I HAVE to crouch? Why can't I stand still with the flag for 20 seconds, perhaps trading information with the rest of my team, without the game doing something stupid and disabling? As person just pointed out, you seem to be stubbornly defending something that Soldat would be better off without.

Come on...this "why should I have to" stuff is just weak. Sounds like a kid argueing about chores. Why should I have to breath? I mean, it's just so easy to do I shouldn't have to do it all and God should just take it out of life.

This animation only bothers you if you let it. If you're the flag carrier and you're standing still for 20+ seconds, that's your own problem. I think Ville summed things up quite nicely:
quote:Originally posted by BManx2000You could always crouch, or prone if you're so lazy that holding down a key is too much for you.

F3nyx
October 25, 2005, 4:07 am
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistCome on...this "why should I have to" stuff is just weak. Sounds like a kid argueing about chores. Why should I have to breath? I mean, it's just so easy to do I shouldn't have to do it all and God should just take it out of life.Good job ignoring the part about talking to teammates. This exact situation has happened to me more than once:

I have the flag in my team's base.
I'm in the middle of a conversation with my team when I see an enemy approaching.
I cancel the message so that I can fight, and find myself locked into the smoking animation.
I get killed because I can't move.

You can't crouch while sending messages, and staying in the prone position while sending messages is pretty much suicidal.

All I want is that the animation be ended as soon as the player does ANYTHING -- tries to move, fire, crouch, send a message, whatever. It should only play while a player is idle and should stop as soon as they return. I haven't yet seen anyone explain why it's a good thing to have automatic taunts that can't be skipped.

person
October 25, 2005, 10:21 am
Oh and also, stop saying 20 seconds... it's more like 8, tops. If you don't think the process this animation takes is flawed, you're downright retarded.

I truly cannot see any logic in your argument.

but anyway
Seriously, Soldat NEEDS to become open-source. There'd be a lot more things people would want... as long as there's a unified mod extension to the game itself, in which it allows you to play different mods just through selection or server requirements.

tomz26
October 27, 2005, 3:49 am
Bah smoking and pissing are my two favorite activities when playing Soldat. Having it auto do it saves me time.