( search forums )
More tactics-style maps
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
ppiksmada
October 22, 2005, 2:21 am
More maps like Lagrance but where bunkers and tactics are involved. Basically all the maps are fast paced jet as fast as you can to one side then the other. I would think some flat maps with plenty of bunkers and shrubs, and buildings would be good fun for the tactical gamer. I've been working on some designs for such maps but seriously lack the quality map making skills and patience to do so.

Tactical flat maps, plenty of bunkers, which would be good for last man standing team games.

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 2:42 am
Unless they're really good flat maps usually don't have as much tacticalness as multi-tierred ones. Which is why almost all Soldat maps are multi-tierred (Except Langrange, but its a based around the whole idea.)

Thats also why Soldat maps have tunnels so often: They're a good excuse for another way.

Also, I have to say I totally disagree with your first point. Jetting into and out of an enemy base fast is usually what happens, but it takes tactics to get there!

rabidhamster
October 22, 2005, 4:03 am
when i first started mapping, all my maps were like this, because i sucked at waypointing. still do ^_^

i'll upload some of'em later, maybe tomorrow.

ppiksmada
October 22, 2005, 4:12 am
Well, i'm just talking about using cover like bunkers and crap, in reg maps all you can hope to do is fly above the bullets. I'm talking about maps where you're face to face, use cover, jump up and shoot, reload, then advance when there's no return fire kind of a thing. Soldat just seems to have been made for that kind of thing because of they way you lift your gun over boxes and crap, it would just be fun for me. I'm used to low-key counter-strike tactics i guess.

Cookie.
October 22, 2005, 4:16 am
Ppiksmada is 1337!

LaGrange is my favourite map too :P Its a much slower paced map involving alot more strategy and cover. I enjoy playing maps like these and their should be more :P

ppiksmada
October 22, 2005, 5:38 am
Thank ya cookie :D I was going to work on one, got plans all drawn out but i suck ass at these map makers, if i had a decent digital camera i'd post some pics of my plans for someone else to work on lol.

Cookie.
October 22, 2005, 7:16 am
quote:Originally posted by ppiksmadaThank ya cookie :D I was going to work on one, got plans all drawn out but i suck ass at these map makers, if i had a decent digital camera i'd post some pics of my plans for someone else to work on lol.

But you do have a digital camera so post it ;)

ppiksmada
October 22, 2005, 8:34 am

Friggin picture hosting... I'll work that out in a sec. What I can tell ya first off, The Red base starts off in bush and sniper towers, and is a parachute drop off point with more shallow tunnels to the main battlefield. The blue base starts in deeper underground wells, and a larger sniper tower building on teh left. They have more intracate and deeper tunnel systems leading to the main battlefield as well as more bunkers (for defense). I feel it would make for a good variety of feeling for the battlefield on both sides and keep some tactics in there as well.

Once i get the damn picture thing working ill put up my blurry as hell pictures.

Boxo
October 22, 2005, 1:50 pm
I don't think "jet as fast as you can to one side then the other" is untactical. There's a lot of tactics involved in all maps.

Anyway, I love lagrange and other maps like it too. I'll make your map when you manage to get the pictures hosted if it's any good :P.

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 4:24 pm
not to advritise but...
http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=28172

you may like that map.

ppiksmada
October 22, 2005, 5:59 pm
Yea I've played wartorn but i'm still thinking of something more along the lines of extra cover , more place to escape enemy fire, duck and cover that kind of thing. Wartorn is a bit small for me, but still a good map. I'll let ya know when i get my fuzzy as hell pictures up. Or i could draw somethin in MSpaint.

EDIT - Oh and i like your sig

EDIT2 - Working on the MSpaint version of the map layout, more than half done but i'm going to eat some lunch, should have ti posted today for you helpul mappers, thanks again. And yes, I'm sure you'll like it.

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 9:33 pm

yea it is small, do you mean you like -some- tunnels or ditches?

ppiksmada
October 22, 2005, 9:56 pm
Here's my anser to that!
[IMAGE]
Red boxes are bullet collide-only, green boxes are player and bullet-collide (so as to get in high spots), Blue circles are blue Bravo starting points, Red circles are Alpha starting points. Yellow flashy things are lights and hopefully someone can get the shading done as such. It's a map that i would be insanely content with in soldat, i don't care if it "hinders gameplay" in any way. It's a f@%!ing sick idea.

Boxo
October 22, 2005, 10:50 pm
That looks really nifty. Mind if I make it into a map? :>

ppiksmada
October 22, 2005, 10:55 pm
HELL YES. Oh and can i get a couple favors? If you make changes to it for teh better let me know, and.... can i have my name in red/grey polies below the map?? all the credit except the concept will go to you so you can put yer name in too.

FREAKIN SWEET

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 10:59 pm
looks fun, and with boxo making it it'll be kick a$$!

@boxo- can i waypoint it?(looks easy :D)

@piks- you should draw how you want the bots to go(stop, defend, camp, ect.)

warpo
October 23, 2005, 12:02 am
oh semagae i love wartorn its great

Boxo
October 23, 2005, 12:22 am
heh, OK, i'm working on it now. It'll be really big; the map's long as hell. It Might take a couple of weeks or more to make; I haven't made a lot maps like this, or maps this huge, before. I'll be making it a CTF map, too.

ppiksmada:
OK, i'll do that :P.

semagae:
When it's finished :S.

ppiksmada
October 23, 2005, 1:53 am
Sure it's long but there's only 1 place everyone will be fighting. I made it with realistic and survival in mind, round play basically. Wouldn't be too good for zombies or crazy dive in and shoot something. It wouldnt be CTF though, running for you f@%!ing life is more like it.

Thanks buddy.

Deleted User
October 23, 2005, 3:38 am
@warpo-
nice avy :P vgcats

@boxo
k' :D

@pik

ppiksmada
October 23, 2005, 4:27 am
Dont ... me semagae, this is MY house. You can ... me anywhere else you like, not my thread. We don't disrespect like that, no no.

;D

EDIT: oh yea in response to your earlier post (semagae) i do enjoy the occasional tunnel or funny looking bunker to add to a map. I like exploring on top of the action.

Deleted User
October 24, 2005, 11:45 pm
thats cool, so do i :D

ppiksmada
October 25, 2005, 3:22 am
Heh, oh and i wouldn't know where to set waypoints. I'd probably have bots move around because they suck when they just camp around and pitch their tents.

Cookie.
October 25, 2005, 7:19 am
Make it with very little jets please :) Just enough for a short bounce into the air to get over potential obstacles

ppiksmada
October 26, 2005, 1:32 am
Wouldn't mind no jets actually.... super crazy realistic was what i was going for.

¤JOJO¤
October 26, 2005, 8:39 am
great idea ! I like this concept

Stern
October 27, 2005, 9:50 pm
Wow. This map is going to be freaking amazing!!! I can't wait to play it. The ideas with the tunnels are great, and the bunkers with access only from underground. The sniping spots are good, but will encourage camping, which sucks. Also, can you mark on the map where the flags will be (specifically) because where you put them at the moment (or are those just base markers?) would be hard to get to and impossible if there were no jets.

Love the idea!! Keep 'em coming!

rabidhamster
October 27, 2005, 10:31 pm
likey.

btw, my map is almost done. it's kinda bad for my standards, but oh well.

ppiksmada
October 28, 2005, 1:08 am
Again, when i designed this I had survival and realistic in mind. It could be manifested for infiltrate though which i think would be fun except for it being a straight map. Thanks for taking such an interest in the map though guys. Oh boxo, how's it comin?

Deleted User
October 28, 2005, 2:51 am
i hate relistic and survival, and yet i make(well, try) maps with no jets that could fit this role... hmmm...
hope it turns out good :D

Stern
October 28, 2005, 5:56 am
Hey man, don't be bashing realistic mode... It's so much better when you can sneak up on an unsuspecting soldat and blow the s*** out of them with a spas shot to the back of the head.

Boxo
October 28, 2005, 12:02 pm
I'm around halfway done with the polygons. I'm finishing CTF_Neonia first and sorting out a couple of other map, then i'll finish this one. I'm not a fast mapper, it'll be done when it's done.

The map will have just a little jet to make moving around easier.

Stern
October 29, 2005, 9:16 pm
I just read that you didn't want it to be ctf? Why the f*** not!?!?!?!?!??!?! This would be an amazing ctf map where you would need a s***load of skill to get to the other side, get the flag, and get back to yours! With all of the sniper positions, this would be perfect for ctf, or even infiltration. It wouldn't be much harder to make it into ctf/infiltration, and would be the best map ever if you did. So do it. PLEASE.

Deleted User
October 29, 2005, 10:57 pm
me and him have our reasons for not liking a certan style,i wasn't "bashing" it, i was saying i didn't like to play it...
i value your opinion, so value mine...
if i don't like it, i don't like it...

Stern
October 30, 2005, 10:30 pm
I was just joking man, don't take me that seriously. I guess I should have said that in my post, though.

Chonoryoku
October 30, 2005, 10:39 pm
Wow, you have some great ideas, ppiksmada. What's this map gonna be called?

ppiksmada
October 31, 2005, 3:56 am
-<Complex 9>-

Sounded good to me anyways, or if BOXO thinks of a better name then I'll go with that. Oh and BOXO what I meant for the name is "RaNcId MeAt" in polies below da map, if it's cool. If you haven't figured it out just now it's my SOLDAT name.

EDIT/Add. - Oh and dude, yours truly would love another update on the map which you've so graciously taken the job to.

Boxo
November 3, 2005, 6:33 am
I'm having good progress on the map. Shading and polys are done and some scenery is placed too. It'll be done in a few days i think. I'll call it complex9 and add your name, sure :P.

Chonoryoku
November 3, 2005, 9:01 pm
I just thought of something--what if there was a huge, dark, semi-transparent scenery that would cover the whole map so you can't see enemies that well, like in real life? It could be made even darker in the tunnels.

It would be amazing.

ppiksmada
November 3, 2005, 9:49 pm
Hmmmm, if Boxo wanted to upgrade to slave status I wouldn't mind if he worked on another version of the map. All up to him, his services are completely voluntary but I only care about the plans I drew up last page.

Thanks again Boxo, you rule.

Everyone else, thanks for the positive feedback, I know you won't be dissapointed.

Those other buttwipes don't deserve soldat if they don't like this map.

Stern
November 3, 2005, 9:50 pm
Even though you're not done with the sceneries, could you post a pic of the polys and shading so we can get a sense of the amazing map that we will all soon be playing on?

Haart
November 4, 2005, 6:33 pm
It looks great - if it's just DM/Teammatch, though, it shouldn't be toooo big (imo). I hate maps where you run around for 5 minutes without another player on screen, finally make it to the other end, then get killed by some sniper, and have to run all the way back...

But, again, it looks great, and I can't wait to see it in action.

ppiksmada
November 4, 2005, 10:04 pm
It's a linear map dude, the only way you're gonna miss someone is if you're being an idiot and rushing as fast as soldatly possible to the other side (thus i planned based on tactics) then your ass is grass. Trust me, you'll be in teh action with Boxo's map (I get some credit :D).

Deleted User
November 4, 2005, 10:25 pm
sigged :P

ppiksmada
November 5, 2005, 4:45 am
hah, RaNcId pulls a funny. Anyways hope y'all enjoy Boxo's soon to be 1 and only masterpiece, or I'll give ya the shank if you don't :D. I'm so freaking psycked!

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 4:18 pm
all his maps are masterpieceses :P

ppiksmada
November 5, 2005, 7:17 pm
Is it possible to open a butt kissing thread for Boxo ?

Just wondering

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 7:18 pm
yes, for all use suck-ups :P

ppiksmada
November 6, 2005, 7:18 am
Hey I noticed you didn't properly accredit that statement in your sig. How shameful.

Deleted User
November 6, 2005, 8:13 am
yoou wanted tactics, well i planned a game type just for you, look at the map CTF_JOUST

Deleted User
November 6, 2005, 9:42 am
Yeah, well I made the first map like this. It has only one way, but to get to the enemy base and get their flag, you have to use good tactics. The map is called Battlehill. Now I am making a zero fuel map which will mostly require vertical movement, lot's of hiding and good tactics. I hope I will succeed. BTW - I love these kind of realistic, tactical, no jet, team based maps. Waiting for this one...

Boxo
November 6, 2005, 3:56 pm
Lol, I didn't know I was so popular here ;P.

Anyway, I was away for the weekend so couldn't work on the map, you'll have to wait some more :p.

Anyway, I'm making these changes..:
*Removing red's sniper building. Useless and would make for long boring stalemates.
*The setting will be daytime. Night maps look boring and are bad on the eyes IMO. Think equinox.

I'm too lazy to make a screenshot now.

Deleted User
November 6, 2005, 4:33 pm
you were logged on msn the entire time :P

ppiksmada
November 6, 2005, 6:21 pm
AWWWW I LIKED THE SNIPER TOWER... Maybe put a walkway behind the blue spawn point that leads up to a sniper tower, so they can defend for INF.

I checked out JOUST but didn't like that style too much, I like straight no jet maps so you have to use cover so you aren't depending on luck.

Oh and where can i find this Battlehill map? i wanna try it :D

Boxo
November 7, 2005, 7:20 am
A little teaser :P
[IMAGE]

This is where i'm at now. Still lots of tweaking to do, but the layout is pretty much finished. The image quality sucks, so it'll look better ingame. If you think there's something that needs changing, tell me.

Haart
November 7, 2005, 12:35 pm
Wow.... nice.
imo, should have a small amount of jet (same amount as in inf_invasion), just to give a little boost, and improve maneouverability.

ppiksmada
November 7, 2005, 10:06 pm
Master suggestions: Bunkers - lots [Lots(A FREAKIN LOT)] of stuff to catch bullets for you, lights for the tunnel systems, and a fat sloppy kiss from ppiksmada.

Sorry for the latter, definitely necessary.

Deleted User
November 7, 2005, 11:32 pm
looks great :D
change: put my name in bold print on it :P

ppiksmada
November 8, 2005, 4:37 am
Looks pretty sweet boxo. Thanks again.
I just realized this is the biggest thread on here right now, and I've never posted anything before. It passed the freaking 500 read mark, WOW.

My only prize is a kew map from boxo, but hoping I can get a cookie?

Chonoryoku
November 9, 2005, 12:25 am
<3 Boxo

/start Boxo Fan Club

Can't wait for this map...

ppiksmada
November 9, 2005, 10:56 pm
So all there is to add i guess is plenty of bunkers to catch bullets for ya. Again I made the layout of the map like this (for you that haven't read the first page) to utilize tactics and sneaking. Thusly, plenty of bullet collide scenery is necessary.

How many times should I thank you boxo?

Deleted User
November 13, 2005, 12:15 am
played it, and is great, no wait, AMAZING on rel/sur :D

ppiksmada
November 13, 2005, 5:57 am
Yea it was great. All i'm sayin is hella more collideable boxes for you to hide behind to teh sides of mid battlefield. Yet again, awesome to see my idea come alive all thanks to boxo.

@Boxo - How'd you get so damn good at sniping? I thought I was the only one who got blind shots..

Chonoryoku
November 17, 2005, 9:08 pm
It's out already? @_@

Where's the d/l link?

ppiksmada
November 17, 2005, 10:26 pm
It was a beta, Boxo sert up a test server hella early in the morning (according to West Coast time, 9:00 or so).

So boxo, how goes the progress on the masterpiece?

Boxo
November 18, 2005, 7:08 pm
http://llsc.us/members/Boxo/uploads/complex9-3.zip

Here's the newest beta version. It's playable and fun, but might have some bugs still.

I really like how this map turned out, it rocks on RS :).

Deleted User
November 18, 2005, 7:42 pm
I personally think you overstretched some of the scenery.

ppiksmada
November 18, 2005, 11:47 pm
I personally think you shouldn't be criticizing the mapping god of soldat, because he decides who will end up in dm_hell or ctf_heaven.

'Nuff said

Deleted User
November 18, 2005, 11:55 pm
quote:Originally posted by ppiksmadaI personally think you shouldn't be criticizing the mapping god of soldat, because he decides who will end up in dm_hell or ctf_heaven.

'Nuff said

I think you should check out how things go around here,
it's still beta, he might change what the public doesn't
like or get his map flamed, beacouse of the looks and gameplay.

And why a mapper shouldn't say what he thinks (i think that 16+ maps make me a mapper as much a Boxo).
Boxo ain't bad (not that i'm suped-duper-fantastic), but i don't think yet a god.

And yes, I allready made dm_hell.

Boxo
November 19, 2005, 7:13 am
lol :D

No, ppiksmada, criticism is welcome if it's contructive and can help me improve my maps :P.

Stg.Beaver: Overstretched what? Where?

Deleted User
November 19, 2005, 9:57 am
I was thinking like the poles to the the outpostes and some boxes.

ppiksmada
November 19, 2005, 6:57 pm
Sweet, let me know where to hit up your map beaver, i gotta check this out. Maybe i should draw up plans for a ctf_heaven or somethin.

Sorry to ask again but how goes the progress?

nickasummers
December 3, 2005, 10:06 pm
one crate was so freaken huge and blury you gota fix or noone will play because it throws of the rest of the map

ppiksmada
December 4, 2005, 4:22 pm
probably a map glitch dude? i`m typin this on my psp so i can`t see for myself...

Algernon
December 6, 2005, 4:41 am
nice map, but the poly on the lower levels have a tendancy to throw you around. too many polys protruding out into the path IMO. i was playing around with the map in polyworks and what do you think of camping spots hidden in the trees? nice map.