( search forums )
It's go time - beta balance gone public
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Chakra`
October 24, 2005, 11:57 pm

http://soldatforums.com/forum.asp?forum_id=92

Check it, and read the [CENSORED]ing sticky's you [CENSORED]ing little lumps of pathetic inbred [CENSORED].

Us, the beta testers, have had enough. So, with my magical powers of telling people what to do, I rangled them all up and got them working towards making the balance.... public.

Sure, the idea may flop, but thats all up to you, the public.

It's quite simple: you play on a WM'd server that hosts our own opinion of a good balance, then you give us your opinions on it in the new balance forum.

After time, once we've gathered enough opinions, we'll make the necessary modifications based on your opinion and just good old fashioned common sense, then we'll update the WM'd servers and you start testing it again. And again, and again, until we get it right.

Understand?

Understand this though. Spam, trolling, trash, and bias will NOT be tolerated. Foolishness, clearly weapon-biased opinions, and anything generally unhelpful or unproductive posted in the new forum will be deleted.

Deleted User
October 25, 2005, 12:14 am
I have a feeling people are gonna get Barretts nurfed here.
Don't give the game into the hands of idiots.
Maybe pick a larger beta team,but please no,not the public.
Good idea,but it'll fail here.

Chakra`
October 25, 2005, 12:16 am
Negative attitudes won't help either. Idiots won't be tolerated for their opinions as well. And finally, don't judge something before it's even begun.

Hiei
October 25, 2005, 12:56 am
CHAKRA I LOVE YOU AGAIN

Marbire
October 25, 2005, 1:50 am
I really don't think using the public to test weapon balance even works..... people don't take into account someone's skill. I'll own with deagles, and people will go OMG DEAGLES OVERPOWERED. Someone will do the same with another weapon.... etc etc. If everyone had the exact skill leven, then it would work. Like using a bunch of noobs maybe...

But no don't ask me how else to do it, cause I dunno..

TheRelinquished
October 25, 2005, 2:25 am
I think that reputation may play a major role in the way that the forum actually effects the game, Marbie. Obviously, the higher powers of the forum are aware of the players who have greater skill, and more importantly, who simply have more common horse sense about these things.

Mind you that Charka has posed a very valid point that no one should be shot down before they even gain the chance to speak out. If someone presents a viable idea, then it will be recognized appropriately, and perhaps further investigated.

While I can't say that I'm extremely enthusistic about this new addition to the forum, I'm glad at least that I won't have to peruse through such ample and repetitive subject matter unless I want to. It is, if nothing else, a good way to trim the fat in the general discussion forums, and it has potential to do more by providing a medium for superior discussions.

rabidhamster
October 25, 2005, 2:26 am
i support this, but you've tried it with custom weapon balance bots, right?

FliesLikeABrick
October 25, 2005, 2:32 am
er, why would we try it with bots?

Chakra`
October 25, 2005, 2:34 am
Bots....ain't quite the same guv.

I understand Marbire, but you're kind of wrong. If we had all-noobs testing a weapon in the balance, what would happen when a 'pro' used it superiorally? The result would be different, and vice versa. but fact is, us beta testers can't really agree on the perfect solution, plus we don't have the time and capacity right now to keep balance testing inside the beta. We'd just like to see what the majority of the public can say, and take it from there.

Any nay-sayers out there need know one thing though : if you don't participate, then it's partly your fault. Your opinion is as valid as anyone who can present it intelligently.

Rambo_6
October 25, 2005, 2:38 am
I can see you're quite dedicated when it comes to this, Chakra. I'm all for the weapon balance, but i'll bet money that you'll have quite a load of nonsensical "OMFG NERF THE M79", etc. threads on your hands.

Oh well, i shan't complain if i don't have to deal with it.

Good luck.

Oh, and i might add that i think the law has been slightly over-nerfed. I was playing yesterday, and man, is it hard to get a clear shot. I think the delay time is slightly too long. But that's in my opinion.

Chakra`
October 25, 2005, 2:43 am
Well feel free to voice it. If people agree, we might just fix it.

As for people spouting "OMFG NERF THE M79" , we don't tolerate spam or a stupid opinion without valid, practical, and mature reasoning, and delete that [CENSORED] before even paramud can step in and go "in before the lock." We want reasonings, explanations, and methods, all explained briefly but accurately.

..hmm...maybe we should enforce an IQ test first..

SPARTAN_III
October 25, 2005, 3:08 am
is this why the forums were f*cked up when i tried to access last night? (malaysian time)

FliesLikeABrick
October 25, 2005, 3:26 am
this has nothing to do with the forums being down.

You guys need to change your outlook on this. There are only going to be tonnes of "OMG NERF THIS" threads if you guys think and say there are.

Think good things, keep the bad to yourself, and nothing bad will happen.

This is your chance to join in on the future of soldat, to change what you think needs to be changed, and voice your opinions on a medium which is taken seriously. Perhaps not every thing is going to be put in, every voice heard... but this is your serious chance to test out new things and say what you want to say.

If you want to be more than just another barret thread, this is the place to do it, the place to try new things.

lithium
October 25, 2005, 3:40 am
omg i love you.

Deleted User
October 25, 2005, 3:43 am
Sounds like a good idea.

I'll speak to jad about running one of his servers as a weapon's test. (he runs 1.3/1.2.1 mods already)

Deleted User
October 25, 2005, 3:45 am
I dont think a public beta testing team is a good idea. There is much too many opinions and simply put, almost everyone will want the weapon they do bad against to get nerfed. Trying to make conclusions out of so many seperate opinions is going to be tough and I dont see it working out too well.

Also, this server idea seems a bit biased towards pubs, although this server is passworded, it is nothing like how clanwars are, you might want to consider that fact in the final decisions.

SamueL
October 25, 2005, 5:15 am
Chakra already said that weapon bias will not be tolerated, I tend to trust him. I'm all for it, that way, if the Public complains then it should only be at themselves.

So I beg of thee, please go and test the balance,PLEASE!

solohan50
October 25, 2005, 6:03 am
Wait a minute Chakra...for all your talk of how cynical you are, I knew you still had at least a little bit of faith in the Soldat community. :-D. Good idea betas, not only do you let the public get in on the modding in a public server setting (as opposed to the CW setting you betas used for 1.3), but I think that you can say "Blame Yourselves" instead of "Blame Demonic" when 1.3.1 comes out. And as for all you people who want to be naysayers and say that noobs will throw the balance out of wack, you should realize that the server is passworded, and the password is on these forums, so hopefully we should avoid a lot of the newbies, as I don't think all of them come here. There's hope for you yet Chakra!

m00`
October 25, 2005, 6:31 am
the reason we're doing this is so morons don't make over 2000 threads about weapon balance after the next version is released, hopefully it will work...

Cookie.
October 25, 2005, 7:35 am
quote:Originally posted by MarbireI really don't think using the public to test weapon balance even works..... people don't take into account someone's skill. I'll own with deagles, and people will go OMG DEAGLES OVERPOWERED. Someone will do the same with another weapon.... etc etc. If everyone had the exact skill leven, then it would work. Like using a bunch of noobs maybe...

But no don't ask me how else to do it, cause I dunno..

Marbire is too good, therefore deagles need to be nerfed! QED!
Anyways the more people that help test will be better otherwise people like me will try to umpf the barret to 1.1.3-1.1.5 standards :D

Da cHeeSeMaN
October 25, 2005, 8:25 am
This might work amazingly well or fail and we will all burn in hell...and noobs will blame us when they dl soldat :D

Deleted User
October 25, 2005, 9:22 am
just like my old papy used to say in the old country, "if you dont vote dont whine about the government you little [CENSORED]ers"

the principal is the same, if you dont like it dont participate but when the russians come....i mean when the new weapon balance comes and its crappy dont complain cause its your fault....you little [CENSORED]ers

FliesLikeABrick
October 25, 2005, 12:18 pm
you guys already trust beta testers with the entire weapon balance, so why not trust us to moderate what the community suggests from this?

ThaD
October 25, 2005, 12:35 pm
quote:Originally posted by m00`the reason we're doing this is so morons don't make over 2000 threads about weapon balance after the next version is released, hopefully it will work...

they will create such threads anyway

anyhow the question is do we really need to change the weapon balance again?, it's fine for me and many other players; every time a new version is released players have to change their way of playing. Weapon balance will never be ideal for everbody. I understand you want to have an excuse for moaners after the next version release, but I don't think this is the best way. Leave the current balance as it is.

DeMonIc
October 25, 2005, 2:38 pm
The balance can always be improved, and us beta testers are tired of doing that and taking the blame. Now you do the suggesting, and you take the blame, and we will only be here to keep order. So go and give your input and intelligent posts: otherwise face the consequences and public execution.

Deleted User
October 25, 2005, 4:24 pm
Just referring to some people who had defended the weapon balance when the version was released. These are some of the same people that I have noticed whining the most in servers now about specific weapons, and a good amount of these are the weapon balance beta testers.

Demonic, as long as you change something, someone wont like it and you will be blamed. Public beta testing or not, you guys are still going to make the new weapons.ini(right?), so you will still take the blame. I still dont see public beta testing as a good idea. Oh yeah one more thing, Dont take this as pointing fingers or whatever, but I think the last versions beta testers were a bit biased in thier decision about what to do with LAW. I had never seen significant complaints about LAW being overpowered or lame, and Knife in the last version was used more with LAW. Even considering those, LAW was significantly weakened and now I think maybe 75% of secondaries are knives and 10% are LAWS. And now getting to my last point, I personally find no large discrepencies in weapon balance other then LAW being too weak and knife being too strong compared to the other secondaries.

MisterX
October 25, 2005, 5:11 pm
This is my part again, the LAW thing ;)
I guess I was one of those who wanted a LAW nerf more than anything else (Not speaking of autospraying now). I don't know what the situation on public servers was like in general, but in clanwars LAW was definitely overused. There more people used it that any other secondary, because the weapon was just too simple. It was extremely strong, extremely fast and still not that hard to use once you've figured it out. That's why it was more or less a 1-kill-guarantee, something like a 1-shot Barret.
I've already written this in the balance forums, but ok: Now that LAW got nerfed I even switched to it, and it still serves very useful. Contrary to knife it's mostly useful on long ranges instead of close combat, but it is useful. The problem now isn't that the LAW is too weak, only that the knife is too strong. So once the knife finally became a secondary weapon as well, rather than the semi-primary it's now, I'm sure the numbers of people using knife, LAW and Socom will become more and more equal.

Chakra`
October 25, 2005, 5:17 pm
Yes we're definitely considering nerfing the knife to make the secondaries generally more equal to one another. The socom and law are still rather useful, it must be said, but the knife is somewhat too useful. Unfortunately the changes we have in mind for it can only be made by Michal so we're just waiting to see what happens..

ThaD
October 25, 2005, 7:47 pm
quote:Originally posted by DeMonIcThe balance can always be improved, and us beta testers are tired of doing that and taking the blame.Now you do the suggesting, and you take the blame, and we will only be here to keep order.

how generouse :)

SamueL
October 26, 2005, 1:39 am
Nerfing the knife would force me to use LAW again, for that I would love you forever.

Deleted User
October 26, 2005, 2:13 am
Would there be any new plans for realistic mode? I'm not saying it needs any, but I was wondering.

Social Poison
October 26, 2005, 6:32 am
Haha... I've been in friendly forums for too long. It's been a while since I've seen a mod or beta tester snap off like that.

Good seeing you again Chakra!

Chakra`
October 31, 2005, 2:56 am
Sorry meep, we can't do both. At some point we should suggest to michal to make a 'seperate' balance for real mode.

And you too Social Poison, ya little bleeder. Where ya been? I've been floating around for a while whipping these beta-testers into doing things. Naughty things.

Anyhow, weapon balance just got a new server, and a new 'test balance' to play around with. Go check it out in the new Weapon Balance Discussion forum.