( search forums )
ctf_Complexity by A Fly (v5.0 Latest Release)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
afly
October 26, 2005, 1:23 am
As always let me know what you think :)

v5.0 changes

-color scheme change
-MANY terrain changes/improvements I am not sure if I should list them all. XD
-Jets doubled

Pic: "http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=complexityv505uh.jpg"

Download: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DGU4RVNZ

Cookie.
October 26, 2005, 1:34 am
Put the Url in quotes :)
It looks different, very different lol :P But it could be interesting to play based on that funky layout. Most people will probably say the polygons need to be rounded but I think it looks nice :)

mar77a
October 26, 2005, 1:44 am
Woa man, that's so psychedelic. <3

Deleted User
October 26, 2005, 1:57 am
it's... great... i love it :D

The Geologist
October 26, 2005, 4:14 am
Layout looks good, colors look horrible.

Soulsnipa
October 26, 2005, 4:16 am
layout looks bad, colors look good lol

The Geologist
October 26, 2005, 4:34 am
Well yes, the layout does look bad..okay, they both look bad. But which is easier to fix, layout or color?

afly
October 26, 2005, 5:22 am
Looks can be decieving?

afly
October 26, 2005, 7:45 am
Thanks for your replies. everything from I love it to, it is bad lmao. interesting :). I Would love people to play it and give exsamples of why the layout is bad? Just for looks? or does it hurt the gameplay and how? how do you suggest a change for that?. This is the kind of feedback I am looking for, Constructive feedback I believe it is called. Even color change suggestions if you dont like the colors :)(Some do, some dont lol).

Its one thing to say its bad, its another to explain why its bad. But all replies are <3ed so thank you.

I have found its one of those maps that grows on you the more you play it :).

Deleted User
October 26, 2005, 7:55 am
Hey, nice to see you on here afly. Good job with the maps. Love this one.

Deleted User
October 26, 2005, 4:07 pm
layout is good.. color is a NO-NO..

DeMonIc
October 26, 2005, 4:12 pm
Layout is bad because there are way too many routes, players won't find each other, you can never defend against an attack because they can surprise you from anywhere. The colours burn ones retina.. not the poly colouring, but the mass abuse of ugly coloured cloud scenery.

afly
October 26, 2005, 6:55 pm
DeMonIc, thanks for explaining in more detail your opinions :).
" Layout is bad because there are way too many routes, players won't find each other, you can never defend against an attack because they can surprise you from anywhere. The colours burn ones retina.. not the poly colouring, but the mass abuse of ugly coloured cloud scenery."

About People not finding each other:In play testing the map is not too big, so people found each other Regularly and games did not take any longer then say ctf_Run(I personally dont like run, too long). and in the next version it has been considered shrinking it more(it has been reduced in size and paths since v1.0.).

About there being too many routes: That is the point of this map, there not being a simple 3 routes(like most soldat maps) to give options and for players to use more skill then just vision(ears ;)). I personally hate that most soldat maps are so simple and easy. "Aim that way, or sit here and look that way to defend" the point of this map was everyone position could be flanked, if you want to feel like you have a safe defending spot, dont play this map :). I for one want more skill then a Safe defence. I want to adjust and adapt to the situation not sit and defend one path. Becouse of map design if you are good(use your ears and not just your eyes) you will hear someone trying to flank you and counter them.

About the Colours: Yeah I figured this might happen to some people. So in the next version I am making more of the clouds more Transparent, that should help those of your they are too bright for. as for the colors themselves, I have considered changing them if anyone would actually give suggestions on what to change them too. :)

About your post in General: I <3 how people make assumptions about maps before playing with a full group of people(5v5 6v6 or even more, work best for this map). Assumptions like "too many routes, players wont find each other," I think its funny how most of the soldat community dont use their ears?! I think its becouse of Regular mode? I myself play RS where developing the use of ears is a big + to your skill. All in All though thanks for your feedback, I hope for more posts like it :).

I guess I should have posted this was for RS, oh wait I did :). its also not very "noob" friendly :)

Keron Cyst
October 26, 2005, 8:29 pm
Actually, I like the colors. Brightness is good. Make it more cartoony (e.g. put purely black polygons for shading) and it'd be much better.

Deleted User
October 26, 2005, 8:43 pm
This is so cool map i wanna teaching to make good maps

DeMonIc
October 26, 2005, 8:48 pm
quote:Originally posted by aflyDeMonIc, thanks for explaining in more detail your opinions :).
" Layout is bad because there are way too many routes, players won't find each other, you can never defend against an attack because they can surprise you from anywhere. The colours burn ones retina.. not the poly colouring, but the mass abuse of ugly coloured cloud scenery."

About People not finding each other:In play testing the map is not too big, so people found each other Regularly and games did not take any longer then say ctf_Run(I personally dont like run, too long). and in the next version it has been considered shrinking it more(it has been reduced in size and paths since v1.0.).

About there being too many routes: That is the point of this map, there not being a simple 3 routes(like most soldat maps) to give options and for players to use more skill then just vision(ears ;)). I personally hate that most soldat maps are so simple and easy. "Aim that way, or sit here and look that way to defend" the point of this map was everyone position could be flanked, if you want to feel like you have a safe defending spot, dont play this map :). I for one want more skill then a Safe defence. I want to adjust and adapt to the situation not sit and defend one path. Becouse of map design if you are good(use your ears and not just your eyes) you will hear someone trying to flank you and counter them.

About the Colours: Yeah I figured this might happen to some people. So in the next version I am making more of the clouds more Transparent, that should help those of your they are too bright for. as for the colors themselves, I have considered changing them if anyone would actually give suggestions on what to change them too. :)

About your post in General: I <3 how people make assumptions about maps before playing with a full group of people(5v5 6v6 or even more, work best for this map). Assumptions like "too many routes, players wont find each other," I think its funny how most of the soldat community dont use their ears?! I think its becouse of Regular mode? I myself play RS where developing the use of ears is a big + to your skill. All in All though thanks for your feedback, I hope for more posts like it :).

I guess I should have posted this was for RS, oh wait I did :). its also not very "noob" friendly :)

Ah you've got me. The terrible syndrome of the New Maps section (which is rewieving maps without playing them) has gotten me too. You see, it is very rare that players download a custom map and start playing on it for fun, simply because the forum community is much more scrambled than say, the LRA community. A map has to be very high quality for a testing run to be arranged by some bored players, or it gets hosted on a popular public server.

Soldat is a fast paced game [but I think you've kinda noticed that], that's why it's better if there are less and simple routes than large and open areas.

About the cloud problem: for eye candy, try relying more on your polygon colouring/shading skills rather than stretching scenery. Trust me, it will pay off :)

afly
October 26, 2005, 9:02 pm
/Keron, good idea, I am not done with the map and continue to improve it based on feedback. Yeah the I definitly didint want this map to have the same look/feel as soldat maps I have played. Thus the color scheme/layout :). I will work on your suggestion :).
/end Keron.

/DeMonIc, thanks for the tips, well this was the FIRST map I have EVER made lol. I just started a few weeks ago. Thanks for pointing out its rare that players download a custom map and start playing it for fun. LRA community?. I am working on getting my server up :).

nods, I have noticed its a fast paced game. and nods I understand its "better" if there are less and simple paths, I just wanted to take soldat a step further for the gamers that wanted something new and challenging.

About the Cloud problem, Interesting, I could make the cloud shape in polygons and color that, although having the clouds gives it an interesting feel O_o. But I am experimenting and learning, like i said first map, first try. :)(well 4th adjustment to the 1st try lol).

Again your feedback/suggestions are <3ed thank you :)
/end DeMonIc.

I think I will keep the colors, its one of the things that makes this map unique. Some love, Some like, Some dont like, Some hate. and so far lol it seems to be a pretty even crowd.

Deleted User
October 27, 2005, 12:59 am
This is like The BEatles.

Everyone else's maps are songs like Help, A Hard Day's Night, ect..

This map is when Lennon/McCartney wrote songs on LSD: I Am The Walrus, Strawberry Fields Forever, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds..

afly
October 27, 2005, 6:40 am
/Zamorak
lol, I am not sure if thats good or bad :). But ethier way intersting exsample.
/end Zamorak

For Everyone thats interested in seeing a color change to this map, there is a poll here with a few color changes I have done. Please vote :) "http://dssoldatclan.proboards61.com/index.cgi?board=placeforyourmapsandmods&action=display&thread=1130391409"

GAMEOVER
October 27, 2005, 7:56 am
Makes me think of cotton candy.

Deleted User
October 28, 2005, 3:58 am
I think it's good.

It's a very untradtional style of mapping.

afly
October 28, 2005, 4:17 am
GAMEOVER, mmm candy. lol

Thank you Zamorak, That was the point. TO break the mold and take soldat to a differant place!.

lithium
October 28, 2005, 10:21 pm
Holy...what the...[CENSORED]ing...amagahd. This is a friggin' mindfreak to play on...it's even better if you listen to something like that "feelin' groovy" by the Beatles or whoever while you play...wow.

Raptor
October 30, 2005, 12:05 am
(Please refrain from swearing) this map has too much red and blue. Too much of those colors can make a map look bad.

Deleted User
November 10, 2005, 1:53 am
It looks like Magical Floating Arctic Japan and its Bizarro World incarnation.

I like it.