( search forums )
Catch a Knife
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
October 27, 2005, 5:14 pm
I think that you should be able to catch a knife if it is thrown at you. However, you can't have another weapon in your hand to do it. Use the "drop weapon" button to catch a knife while thrown at you. This would take skill and good timing to pull off. More like pressing the drop weapon button at the same time as the person who's throwing the knife. You also have to be facing your opponent. I'm sure you know where I'm going. Like the idea, or have a better suggestion regarding this topic? Post away.

Note: I'm aware that you can use the knife after it hits a surface. I just think this adds more spice to 1 v 1 combat.

F3nyx
October 27, 2005, 6:15 pm
As long as the range within which you can grab the knife out of the air is very short -- i.e., delicate timing is required -- this would be cool.

Keron Cyst
October 27, 2005, 6:26 pm
Like I said, it should be the Discard Weapon key when you're unarmed...

Zegovia
October 27, 2005, 6:39 pm
quote:Originally posted by Keron CystLike I said, it should be the Discard Weapon key when you're unarmed...

Its all about reflexes... ;)

Deleted User
October 27, 2005, 8:26 pm
Erm, I dont like the idea..

Stern
October 27, 2005, 8:30 pm
It's a good idea, and it probably won't be overused because people don't normally go around without a weapon.

Swarmer
October 27, 2005, 8:41 pm
You should also have to press a button (discard weapon key) the moment it hits you. This would make it harder and better.

I think this is a great idea. It's a perfect way to reduce the effectiveness of knives just a little bit to make them more fair.

tomz26
October 27, 2005, 9:31 pm
I think that would be justrude.... Well people would be doing that all the time, you could never get a knife kill. YEAH THATS WHAT YOU ALL DO! I could imagine what a game of catch that would be.

Stern
October 27, 2005, 9:38 pm
Or imagine the awesomeness of killing someone with the knife that they failed to kill you with...

tomz26
October 28, 2005, 12:54 am
I'd feel cheated lol.

Deleted User
October 28, 2005, 4:52 am
I would go around weaponless just to kill people with their own knives.

Deleted User
October 28, 2005, 5:01 am
That would be [CENSORED]. Really long slow "floater" throws would blow ;(

Deleted User
October 28, 2005, 7:18 am
maybe you could only catch it if it was goin slow enough, but that would be like never so probaly no, its a good idea for knife fights

Swarmer
October 28, 2005, 8:07 am
well, the only time "floater" throws kill anyone is when theyre not paying attention or if theyre a nub, so having the catching thingy wouldnt mess those throws up.

Pimpin`
October 28, 2005, 11:17 am
quote: I think that you should be able to catch a knife if it is thrown at you.

I dont like your idea. If it was possible we wouldnt be able to kill with knife :). It is not possible to catch a knife when it was thrown at you. Its like catching the nades etc.

tomz26
October 28, 2005, 12:49 pm
Catching nades would be a nice idea. It would be funny if they didn't get rid of it in time.

numgun
October 28, 2005, 1:50 pm
catching nades... naah:
enemy1: *throws a nade*
me: w00t! i caught it!
*boom*
me: x_X

but i do agree in the knife catching thing, coz it will be quite hard to catch it coz it happens really fast!
and also u have to unarmed to do this... so i say this is very fair. : D

Deleted User
October 28, 2005, 7:16 pm
Swarmer, you can get amazing throws if you know how the arc works
This would require skills in close range.
Long Range throws wouldn't require as much skills, except paying attention.
Contrary to long range knife throws requireing skill
and close range throws not.

I think that would either balance, or totally screw up knifes.

tomz26
October 28, 2005, 9:09 pm
Well I'm sad to say you can already catch knives, just not knives thrown directly at you. What I mean is if a dead knife falls off an edge you can catch it in the air.

Deleted User
October 28, 2005, 9:18 pm
Duh??

That's not the point of this topic.

Veritas
October 29, 2005, 1:17 pm
How many people in the real world can catch a knife that is thrown at them?

tomz26
October 29, 2005, 3:18 pm
quote:Originally posted by VeritasHow many people in the real world can catch a knife that is thrown at them?

Knife Jugglars thats who!

WarCry
October 30, 2005, 3:55 am
If you make it like this it seems very even and would be a awsome tactic to use-
1.In order to catch the knife you need to be unarmed.
2.You must press a certain button once the knife hits you.(or gets very very close)
3.You can only catch if you make it hit your chest otherwise you die
4.When you catch the knife you do loose a certain amount of health.
That seems very fair to me and not everyone would be running around unarmed trying to catch knifes because people will just gun them down....

F3nyx
October 30, 2005, 4:45 am
WarCry, I agree with all of those except #4 (which is actually third on the list, but whatever). If people have the skill to pull off a successful catch, they shouldn't take damage... if someone with almost 0 health left managed to catch a knife and died anyway, that'd be awfully lame.

UnStOpAbLe
October 30, 2005, 5:36 am
Well i kinda hate the idea cos im pretty much a pure knifer

WarCry
October 30, 2005, 8:23 am
Well unsopable your gonna have to start aiming at their eyes and if your a pure knifer i imagine you should have no trouble with that

F3nyx
October 30, 2005, 8:31 am
quote:Originally posted by UnStOpAbLeWell i kinda hate the idea cos im pretty much a pure knifer
Think about it... the enemy would have to be unarmed AND extremely skilled. It's not going to happen very often, it's just a cool option that might make the difference in one battle out of every two thousand.

Deleted User
October 31, 2005, 5:06 pm
Exactly.^^ I'd love for this to happen in the next version.

Deleted User
November 2, 2005, 8:12 pm
more =)

Kaider
November 4, 2005, 6:30 am
I've tried catching my own knife before, and it didn't work out too well.......

I support this idea.

Deleted User
November 4, 2005, 6:56 am
What? Bad idea. Would be kinda lame having an excellent knife toss just be catched and thrown back, and the realism of having a soldier throw a knife pretty damn fast at your head and you just grabbing it in midair seems quite unrealistic. Thats why knives can be dodged and picked up...

Rhombus
November 5, 2005, 7:03 pm
I would love this option, since I like knife matches :). But why wouldnt you be able to catch a knife if it was thrown at your head, or legs? #3 and #4 in warcry's list are silly, #1 and #2 are a good idea.

Xanthophobia
November 5, 2005, 8:28 pm
Wouldn't lag kinda kill this idea? You'd probably be dead by the time the knife appears 'close enough to catch', unless you want to run around hammering the catch weapon button... it all seems very pointless to me... or at least just silly.

.Loki
November 5, 2005, 8:41 pm
that would rock.

You would also haveto be facing them though, and the timing should be fairly difficult (can't just hold down the throw key).

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 10:33 pm
It woud probably be pretty hard, but this sounds like a cool idea.

Deleted User
November 6, 2005, 4:18 am
quote:Originally posted by ExtacideWhat? Bad idea. Would be kinda lame having an excellent knife toss just be catched and thrown back, and the realism of having a soldier throw a knife pretty damn fast at your head and you just grabbing it in midair seems quite unrealistic. Thats why knives can be dodged and picked up...

Soldat isn't realistic....

Echo_Trail
November 6, 2005, 9:31 am
quote:Originally posted by MuffinI would go around weaponless just to kill people with their own knives.

dude.. not all run around with just knife.. you'd be gunned down all the time :D
I'm all for the idea.. but maybe it should be a selectable feature..

Deleted User
November 6, 2005, 8:39 pm
Anything's possible

Close Combat
November 11, 2005, 11:39 pm
CATCHING A KNIFE lol what u catch it with your teeth? tell me that rediculous. u need to catch a BARRETA SHELL IN yo A**!

.Loki
November 12, 2005, 12:16 am
quote:Originally posted by Close CombatCATCHING A KNIFE lol what u catch it with your teeth? tell me that rediculous. u need to catch a BARRETA SHELL IN yo A**!

lol...ummmm.... catch the hilt.....

Deleted User
November 12, 2005, 5:13 pm
You catch it with you hands. Like the sniper line--this COULD be disabled you know?

Deleted User
November 12, 2005, 8:58 pm
Last time I checked, catching a knife wuold only harm ones hand. If you throw a knife, it's just as deadly as running with scissors. Impossible to catch at such speeds.

Deleted User
November 24, 2005, 12:38 am
Soldat isn't even close to being flat out "realistic". On realistic mode, maybe catch recoil would be in effect.

Deleted User
November 24, 2005, 2:47 am
No, no, horrible idea sorry. Unless we can catch bullets, or just stop them in their place matrix style, no knife catching.

*Two Thumbs Down* :(

Deleted User
November 25, 2005, 3:51 am
That's insane, and impossible. Catching a knife can actually happen with a bit a skill or luck.

Tybs
November 29, 2005, 7:10 pm
I really dont see the problem with this implemented. It would be very hard to catch the knife, so u shouldnt get a large decrease with knife kills... however, if u manage to train ur own "catching" skills, u could actually get extra kills this way. It happens quite often to me that i throw a knife at someone, and then meet a second soldier in the fight. It would be great if i had the possibility to catch his knife if he threw one.

metal123
November 29, 2005, 8:17 pm
There is no real point. It would probely just take time implanting it, and it doesent seem "right" to catch knives dont you think? I dont see how you could catch it since the knife is sharp and you dont want to catch knives anyways.

Stern
November 29, 2005, 9:37 pm
Maybe if you pressed the button at the right time and the handle of the knife was facing you, then you could catch the knife safely. Otherwise the knife would just kill you.

Tybs
November 29, 2005, 9:55 pm
Of course the idea is that u catch the knife at the right spot... and thats NOT the sharp spot of course, but the other end which u usually hold while cutting stuff (dont know how thats called). So basically u just catch it with ur hands stretched forward as much as possible, if u dont do that u will die anyway...

EDIT: didnt notice sterns post, the "spot" i was talking about which u should catch is the handle of course :P

jettlarue
December 4, 2005, 9:39 pm
or it could be an option in the weapon mods such as:
catchable=yes
and maybe a damage one too:
catchdamage=0

although these would only affect you for when in air.

mystery00
December 10, 2005, 1:32 pm
I proposed this idea more than a year ago, so it obviously has my support.

Mystery

Deleted User
December 12, 2005, 11:37 pm
ty

LUNATIC COW
December 19, 2005, 9:03 pm
It's a good idea, but I don't see how it would realistically work.

santa
December 24, 2005, 5:08 am
nah then knives would suck.

Deleted User
December 24, 2005, 5:58 am
As long as they do the damage they currently do, they'll never suck.

Jojo
December 24, 2005, 8:00 pm
Hmmm think? man how many people can really catch knife?

My opinion you are MOron.

Deleted User
December 27, 2005, 3:04 pm
How many people can hoover in the air using boots? Don't flame me nub

Aquarius
December 27, 2005, 4:10 pm
Catching knives, nades... how about catching bullets?

Deleted User
December 27, 2005, 6:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by AquariusCatching knives, nades... how about catching bullets?

Thats exactly what I suggested!

Deleted User
December 27, 2005, 6:29 pm
Now that 1.31 is out, we really don't need this.

DeLarge
December 28, 2005, 7:51 am
quote:Originally posted by ExtacideNo, no, horrible idea sorry. Unless we can catch bullets, or just stop them in their place matrix style, no knife catching.

*Two Thumbs Down* :(

You're right.

Just put all of your fingers and thumbs down. And yeah - this isn't The Matrix.

Deleted User
January 2, 2006, 7:07 am
who ever it WAS?!