( search forums )
DM HTF Paranoid
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
TeRRoRinFANt
October 28, 2005, 11:07 am
So here it is, folks. My second map (actually third, but the second published).

Map data:
1. Botted: nah (volunteers?)
2. Polys: 1027
3. Sceneries: 274
4. Suggested players: 5-10 (DM), 8-14 (HTF)
5. Jet: 158
6. Medkits: 3
7. Nades: 6
8. Creation time: circa 18 hours

Should be compatible with DM, TDM, PM, RM, HTF.

The idea for the layout was inspired mostly by a looong look at the 12 Monkeys movie logo and an thing that once happened to me on a CTF server. I've been hiding somewhere, and suddenly I see two enemies, exchanging tactics ideas on teamchat... So, one of those guys notices me eavesdropping, and writes "they know" on teamchat. It was such a hillarious thing for me at that time, that it somehow stuck very deep in my mind, so when I became really marred with making my second map (ctf_Kursk) and decided I needed a break from the WWII (I've been reading Beevor's books lately, and Davies' Rising '44 and browsing through a lot of panzer pages) so I made this to grab some different atmosphere.
I also am indebted to the Geologist, for the idea of using the rope scenery to "tie" around things... thanx! Also what I know about shading comes from his maps- thanx again.
I wanted this to be a multi-texture map, for a brief moment, but decided against it. I'll have time for that on my next map, as this one was devoted to learning shading- which I hope I did (not perfectly, but hey).

I also need to learn more about using sceneries, cause I'm not satisfied with that, either.

Okay, so here's the overview:
http://www.soldat-lra.net/uploads/files/paranoid-overv.PNG
And some ingame screenies:
http://www.soldat-lra.net/uploads/files/paranoid-game1.PNG
http://www.soldat-lra.net/uploads/files/paranoid-game2.PNG
http://www.soldat-lra.net/uploads/files/paranoid-game3.PNG

And, last but not least, the map:
http://www.soldat-lra.net/uploads/files/dm_htf_para_update.zip

I'll try to write up sceneries credits later.
Please, report any bugs and- I hope- enjoy!

Leo
October 28, 2005, 11:16 am
Your maps are becoming better every time. This one will go on my new HTF server. :)

DeMonIc
October 28, 2005, 11:33 am
Leo's right, you are getting better :) Nice map in overall, the hektik layout should provide tons of fun for public servers. Altough you have to work a bit on your scenery placement, namely not using so many lights.. it just gets boring and annoying. Look at chakapoko maker's maps to see good examples for creative scenery placement.

TeRRoRinFANt
October 28, 2005, 11:40 am
Roger, will check out Chakapoko's (hey, he also was an inspiration and someone to look up to).
I am waiting for you gameplay comments. :]

grand_diablo
October 28, 2005, 2:19 pm
some of the lights look deplaced, but besides that it looks like a good solid map

Keron Cyst
October 28, 2005, 2:33 pm
Yeah, the lights looked kinda weird IMO.

Are you just using the default banana texture and coloring everything yellow? Try going with another texture. And if you look at maps by chakapoko maker and Boxo you'd see that they use every scenery to attain whatever they need possible; if there aren't enough variants of green, they just use something completely different and merely color it green (like barbed wire or something); Boxo used a stretched and recolored crater.BMP for cave stalactites!

Deleted User
October 28, 2005, 7:19 pm
If you are going for that plain, default look, I guess GJ.

If you change texture to a more suitable one, it makes the map SOO MUCH BETTER.
It looks a little too dark in a few places.

But yea, your maps are getting better.

I think the layout is nice, but this kind of map favors m79, and autos.
Nice job.

TeRRoRinFANt
October 28, 2005, 9:30 pm
Layout favouring m79 and autos? Not in realistic, it don't. It was meant for realistic, mind you.
What do you mean by "plain, default look"?
As for the dark places- I aimed at achieving a mixture of light& darkness, as the objective for this map was to learn a bit about shading. I do agree that some of the lights look deplaced.

Rambo_6
October 28, 2005, 11:12 pm
Has an original look. However, some of the sceneries do not blend well.

Good job, still.

Deleted User
October 28, 2005, 11:22 pm
great map :D
nice shading btw

Deleted User
October 29, 2005, 1:00 pm
i really love the light effects..

Deleted User
October 29, 2005, 10:17 pm
damn ! I love this map. For me is absolutly nice! 9.3/10

Deleted User
October 29, 2005, 10:21 pm
pretty good! I love the shading

Raptor
October 29, 2005, 11:55 pm
Excellent! The shading and coloring are exceptional. What else can I say?

TeRRoRinFANt
November 1, 2005, 7:51 am
Sorry, guys (and gals), but are you having trouble using the map, from the d/l file? Please report, as I've been told it doesn't work and I dunno why, it works for me.

Haart
November 1, 2005, 8:09 am
It works ok, but where the writing whould be, there are just big squares of various colours, some of which the player goes behind, and others which they go infront of.

Other than that, and the lack of waypoints (not important for MP, of course), the map's great.

TeRRoRinFANt
November 1, 2005, 9:52 am
When you load the map, does it say, which sceneries it is missing? For example "couldn't find scenery example.bmp"?