( search forums )
Yet another saw idea
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
October 29, 2005, 2:14 am
Ok, so I know there are a few suggestions to improve the chainsaw, but I think this one is more fun. The idea: if you kill someone with a saw, you get a few (like 5) seconds of berserk. Quadruple damage is probably overdoing it, so it would be only double or 1.5x damage, but enough to matter. This way, instead of making it easier to kill people with the saw, it makes it more worthwhile (besides the glory of saying "lolz sawed" and so on). It also gives it a unique role - the law for defending, the knife for assaults and assassination, the socom as a backup weapon, and the saw for slaughtering large numbers of people :D. It will still be relatively hard to kill someone with it, but will make it worth your while to chainsaw a camper and give in to the bloodlust. Thoughts?

Meandor
October 29, 2005, 1:11 pm
Real awesome. Way to go for the first post :Q

tomz26
October 29, 2005, 3:14 pm
Thats a wonderful Idea! As long as the berserk mode doesn't spread to your other weapons.

a-4-year-old
October 29, 2005, 3:17 pm
well than the berserker would be totally useless. so it should could for primary as well.

Deleted User
October 29, 2005, 7:05 pm
Oh no.
You do realise swarmer would start owning more?

Like super own.
Not just own.

Deleted User
October 30, 2005, 4:25 am
yep im for this all they way, it would have to go over to other guns for it to be worht while. i personaly like it cause it encourages skil in chainsaw, like it doesnt make it easier to kill people, just more wothwhile , as cyberia said

WarCry
October 30, 2005, 4:26 am
umm its ok but i dont really understand the point the chainsaw already kills people quick enough no need for more damage

vash763
October 30, 2005, 5:02 am
Well, WarCry, the berserker would affect any other weapon you had.

So if you killed someone with your chainsaw, then switched over to your minigun (hypotheticaly) you could kick total ass.

- Tek -
October 30, 2005, 5:06 am
Berserk eh? Well if we could implement a sword...

But It would be nice to have a swinging club like weapon, its ammo would be in swings. Maybe less damage depending on your current health? And none of that one swing animatin mumbo jumbo, you'd need like 3 hit combos!

But too difficult to work into a shooting game with high learning curve controls ( i think so)

Deleted User
October 30, 2005, 7:17 am
quote:Originally posted by - Tek -Berserk eh? Well if we could implement a sword...

But It would be nice to have a swinging club like weapon, its ammo would be in swings. Maybe less damage depending on your current health? And none of that one swing animatin mumbo jumbo, you'd need like 3 hit combos!

But too difficult to work into a shooting game with high learning curve controls ( i think so)

^^ that's a knife with a modified graphic, btw.

Deleted User
October 30, 2005, 7:30 am
Perhaps it could look like beserker (Red screen), but instead of raising damage makes you run twice as fast?

- Tek -
October 30, 2005, 7:40 am
I know, but knife id just a repeated crappy stab motion, I WANT SWORD FU!

WarCry
October 30, 2005, 7:52 am
Hows about you scrap the saw idea and make it you get more adrenaline when you kill people and when you get to a certain amount of adrenaline you press a button and get a special powerup like superspeed or bezerk predator eg...

Or just make it the more adrenaline you get you increase a slight bit in speed and btw when you die you loose all adrenaline

m00`
October 30, 2005, 7:29 am
quote:Originally posted by Officer_BulbockPerhaps it could look like beserker (Red screen), but instead of raising damage makes you run twice as fast?

best idea i heard all day :O

---------

LOL WTF, my post appeared before the post i quoted, what the hell.. bug?
|
v

rabidhamster
October 30, 2005, 1:48 pm
how bout we just go with bulbock's idea?

must only be 1.5-1.8x though, 2x is too fast.

Swarmer
October 30, 2005, 11:15 pm
but isnt killing people with saw easy enough? I mean... im not trying to sound arrogant or anything, but once you get the hang of it, killing someone with a saw is WAY more easier than with a gun. All it takes is one click. Its basically the most powerful weapon in the game. If you could get a beserker powerup after sawing someone, think of the spawn-camping rampages.
I think rewarding a sawer should be non-gameplay awards. As in, having it say "YOU SAWED MAJOR" (instead of killed) and having it play a UT-style "SAWED!" voice effect. or you could have the kills distinguished in the kill console, like how in some counterstrike servers, it announces to everyone a knife kill.

xtishereb
October 30, 2005, 11:21 pm
Well, right now the saw is already pretty powerful, just underappriciated. The idea of adding in a slight speed boost, like 1.2x or 1.3x might give it that extra push it needs to become a weapon of non-stop pwnage.

Deleted User
October 31, 2005, 12:12 am
quote:Originally posted by xtisherebWell, right now the saw is already pretty powerful, just underappriciated. The idea of adding in a slight speed boost, like 1.2x or 1.3x might give it that extra push it needs to become a weapon of non-stop pwnage.

Wow, you hit the nail right on the head. I really like this idea, but the damage part didnt really cut it. A speed boost for the soldat in berserk would definetly work.

I like. :D

Another small idea, perhaps you get indefinite ammo during berserk?

Yet again another small idea, when you wield the chainsaw, you get another bar that shows your progress to berserk, and each kill you make builds up to it, and after 5 kills with the chainsaw, it will go nuts and you'll get a speed boost and indefinite ammo, and the bar will slowly drain, but with each kill you make, it goes back up a tiny bit.

Infact, this idea would be great for other guns too, although for now, the chainsaw is the kewlest this would work with. :P

Chonoryoku
October 31, 2005, 12:28 am
quote:Originally posted by Officer_BulbockPerhaps it could look like beserker (Red screen), but instead of raising damage makes you run twice as fast?
That is GENIUS. I vote in favour of Officer_Bulbock's idea over all others :D

Swarmer
October 31, 2005, 1:43 am
dude if they put that in chainsaw would be freaking awesome. but for the sake of others, I think it would be waaaay too good. I think if they add in an extra lunge attack (for everyone) it would be good enough for the saw. but a speed powerup would make saw the new barrett... a good sawer would be unstoppable.

Algernon
October 31, 2005, 1:54 am
yeah, the SAW is pretty powerfull and easy to use as it is now, or was (v1.2.1). i'd leave it alone. if you need extra speed to catch someone jump up and then go prone in mid air and boot down to intercept them.

Deleted User
October 31, 2005, 1:54 am
Thats why I wanted to stick with a slight speed boost, perhaps instead of 100%, about 20-30% speed boost. Another thing that would be awsome is if you had blood spraying out of you like when you do the /mercy bug while you're berserk. :F

warpo
October 31, 2005, 2:02 am
thats a good idea.........but hacking [CENSORED]s like the [CENSORED] revolution might use the password *********************(edited for protection) to masskill everyone.....sad

Deleted User
October 31, 2005, 2:56 am
Well, I personally like the extra damage idea better than the speed. First of all, the saw is a secondary, so it should be used like one. If you give it extra speed, then sawers would pretty much have to use it as a primary. With extra damage, the point is that you kill someone with it, and then use your real primary. And then, there's the problem in CTF, which would make it even worse than minisurfing (not to mention everyone calling you a hacker). I think we should stick to the damage (although that's just my opinion).