( search forums )
ctf_Animus
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
lithium
October 29, 2005, 6:21 am
My second or third map ever...PolyWorks looked so seckseh I just had to try it out, even though I am utterly crap when it comes to map making. Go easy.

[IMAGE]

So, whaddya think? Constructive criticism only, if it's possible. Don't just say it sucks, tell me what to fix. Obviously I haven't begun shading or anything yet, I'm just looking for input on the design.

Deleted User
October 29, 2005, 9:26 am
glorious design.. the map looks to thin and those four circles in the map, should be filled.. not empty.
and what is a "stronghold thingy"?

The Geologist
October 29, 2005, 9:29 am
I like the layout of the map, but the flags look too close together.

DeMonIc
October 29, 2005, 10:09 am
Maybe switch the farthest spawn-points with the flag-spawns? And if you'd add something to the middle that covers the top route from the main battlefield, it'd actually have 2 routes :)

Keron Cyst
October 29, 2005, 3:38 pm
I think the flag should be in the middle, just in front of the two SPs. And the topmost paths are very thin and narrow, unless you want them to be that way. Throw in more scenery. BG colors are very bright. Darken them.

lithium
October 29, 2005, 6:44 pm
Thanks a lot for the input, guys.

@HHH- It's thin cos I haven't filled it in yet. I always do an outline, then fill it in with larger polys at the end, because it's bothersome to me to just do big polys off the bat. The four circles, you will have to imagine, are filled in in the finished product. And as for the "stronghold thingies", they're just going to be little fort-type things with lots of sandbags and stuff. Maybe that'll be a nade spawn too. The whole idea was for there to be relative peace on spawn, followed by total chaos in the center of the map, which is also why I made is so small.

@Demonic - Good idea. I'll fill in the center of the upper route.

@Keron Cyst - If you're talking about putting the flags on the little ledge-type spots directly over where they already are, I thought of that, but then it would be WAY too easy to get out. I thought by putting the flag in a trench right under a spawn point it would be a lot tougher to escape, Kampf-style. I'm starting to think I'll have to reposition the flags no matter what, but I'll test it in-game and see what works best. And as for the upper route, I agree it's way too closed in. I'll be fixing that for sure.

Thanks a lot, you guys really gave some good ideas. I'll incorporate them in the finished product.