( search forums )
ctf_nydiva
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
rainrider
October 31, 2005, 9:15 am
Name of this map has been random generated with name generator by rainrider ;)

Screen: http://rainrider.byethost5.com/soldat/maps/ctf_nydiva.jpg
DL link: http://rainrider.byethost5.com/soldat/maps/ctf_nydiva.rar

rabidhamster
October 31, 2005, 10:45 am
arg... no! it can't be! HUGE scenery... right?

Haart
October 31, 2005, 10:54 am
@rabidhamster - ROFL....

It's kinda bare, ain't it? Looks amazing - I sure as hell can't shade anywhere near as good as that. But more blockages would be better for tactics, imo.

Cookie.
October 31, 2005, 5:10 pm
It looks awesome! That's all it has going for it though from what I see, the layout dosn't look that good..

Fake Edit
I've changed my mind while playing it, it looks good in the screenshot only, and the layout is even worse, the upper path is the only feasible route, as the others are much slower and harder to navigate with little jets, as well if you have the flag on the lowest route, with the jets it makes it rather difficult to climb back up, a new player could probably find it impossible... Anyways your screenshot is nice lol

Cookie throws down the thumbs down :'(

rainrider
October 31, 2005, 6:19 pm
Today I was playing on this map 1v1... My opponent had no problems with 4 caps.

Keron Cyst
October 31, 2005, 6:28 pm
Is that by PolyWorks? It looks really nice! I like how you use the stretch and transparency functions for the scenery, but there is little scenery in the first place. Put more features and it could turn out really awesome.

Deleted User
October 31, 2005, 6:56 pm
I thought that was a reallife image for a few seconds

nice work.

peemonkey
October 31, 2005, 7:17 pm
umm...it IS....it's an IMAGE of a soldat map.

Cookie.
October 31, 2005, 7:51 pm
quote:Originally posted by rainriderToday I was playing on this map 1v1... My opponent had no problems with 4 caps.

Probably along the top route, the low route is a bit absurd, if you could travel the top route 3 times in the time it takes to travel the bottom, plus the way the tunnels are set up if an enemy was coming down at you, you pretty much have no chance,,,

As well, it looks pretty bad in game in my opinion

Deleted User
October 31, 2005, 9:05 pm
it looks athmospherey:p but since cookie says it sux.. then i wont download.

Deleted User
October 31, 2005, 11:08 pm
peemonkey, that's called a digital image..

peemonkey
November 1, 2005, 12:07 am
it's a [CENSORED]ing image. people try to be all technical and [CENSORED] to looks smart. it's an image. grr.

rainrider
November 1, 2005, 6:50 am
Hiho. Cookie, the low way is the best for escape with flag - in the high tunnel always will be enemies that could kill you ;>
Btw on Leo's Realistic INF server (very good server) there are more absurd maps, for example inf_cyraneika, inf_cannibal, inf_meatball [blue always win 90:0].

But if it really sux, I'll make next maps ^.^ Exactly, I'll make next maps anyway :D

GAMEOVER
November 1, 2005, 7:26 am
Very NICE! Jet ammount too small though.

Soulsnipa
November 2, 2005, 1:17 am
too plain, work on more complex layout

Cookie.
November 2, 2005, 2:35 am
quote:Originally posted by rainriderHiho. Cookie, the low way is the best for escape with flag - in the high tunnel always will be enemies that could kill you ;>
Btw on Leo's Realistic INF server (very good server) there are more absurd maps, for example inf_cyraneika, inf_cannibal, inf_meatball [blue always win 90:0].

But if it really sux, I'll make next maps ^.^ Exactly, I'll make next maps anyway :D

No the high way is the best lol, not only that its too simple, its like a straight line from flag to flag :P

You guys below me suck >:| Don't comment on the map as the best map ever in shading terms until you play it, it isnt that nice in game
||
\/

Source
November 2, 2005, 4:37 am
the shading is absolutely amazing...

Raptor
November 4, 2005, 4:59 am
I like how the polygons become darker. Excellent shading!:D

But that's a huge scenery = slow

Deleted User
November 4, 2005, 5:47 am
That's the most visually stunning map ever, or at least it is as an overview.

Unfortunately, you only need that stunning screenshot to tell that it's also pretty poor in terms of gameplay, what with the low path being too long and too easily defended, and the top path being far too empty and open, not to mention just plain bland from its monotonous form and lack of interesting scenery and cover.

As an exercise in creating near-photo-realistic lighting in a Soldat map, it's an astounding success. As a map I'd want to play, it's quite the contrary. Next time, refrain from even considering the map's aesthetics until you have the gameplay nailed; the way this map looks, it's as if you made the basic shape, toiled over that shading, and then didn't want to adjust how well the map actually plays because you didn't want to mess up all that tedious shading work. Also try using varying levels of transparency on multiple backdrop sceneries, as well as placing sceneries in the foreground, in order to create a more lively atmosphere. Some well-placed crates and other ground cover are always good to have too.

.Loki
November 4, 2005, 6:02 am
Looks like it could make for a decent TDM match, or something of the sort, though. Seriously, this map looks heavenly, but probably not best for CTF.