( search forums )
Client-side Idea: Active Scenery
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
Keron Cyst
October 31, 2005, 6:11 pm
Active Scenery

Unfortunately this would need a revamp in scenery coding.

? Have smoking crater.BMPs appear in the ground from explosions, which slowly fade away
? Same with staining the ground with blood
? Any vegetation-type scenery can catch fire from explosions (catches fire same way corpses catch fire, and emits smoke) or FlameGod and color turns to black; everything reverts when changed scenery passes outside of the player's screen
? Corpses melt into skeletons which slowly decay into the ground and fade away :-D
? Etc.

It's completely client-side (to cut down on the lag it'd produce) and so you can't be harmed by active scenery.

Deleted User
October 31, 2005, 6:43 pm
This is an excellent idea.

I support %100 :O

It'd be cool.

Alamo
October 31, 2005, 7:05 pm
Excellent indeed, I'd like this a lot :)

Stern
October 31, 2005, 9:37 pm
That's a great idea, but since bmp's are used, this would take a while to implement.

Alamo
October 31, 2005, 9:50 pm
you could use crater1.bmp, crater2.bmp, crater3.bmp and cycle them. easy.

Lolly
October 31, 2005, 11:34 pm
Or just do like the explosions in the air, and have one BMP fade...

Deleted User
November 1, 2005, 4:43 am
When I saw the name of this thread I thought you meant animated sceneries (like Anna's idea. What happened to that anyway?), but after reading it I support it. The vegitation idea sounds cool, perhaps as an option in the map maker? Otherwise you could end up setting the backround wall on fire xD

zyxstand
November 1, 2005, 4:47 am
why make them bitmaps!??!?

particle-based effects would be SOO much better. smoke would be much more realistic, blood effects would rock, and fire would look much better with particle-based effects.

the corpses part - i don think so. they'll just get too annoying (unless they start to decay right when the player gets spawned and then 'vaporizes' in 3 secs (from full body to brickling body parts to to nothing). otherwise it'd get too cluttered...

Deleted User
November 1, 2005, 6:28 am
yeha i dont think particle based stuff is happening but it would be cool, this stuff sounds cool, as long as its server side i see no problem

Echo_Trail
November 1, 2005, 8:44 am
this is such a great idea.. though, i don't think you should make all vegetation burn-able.. but some would be really, really cool! and also the smoking crate..

WarCry
November 1, 2005, 9:43 am
This is the best idea ive heard in a long time it would make soladat game play so much better

Zegovia
November 1, 2005, 1:43 pm
Sounds really damn nice to me... :D

lithium
November 1, 2005, 2:08 pm
Good idea.

Keron Cyst
November 1, 2005, 6:19 pm
quote:Originally posted by zyxstandwhy make them bitmaps!??!?

particle-based effects would be SOO much better. smoke would be much more realistic, blood effects would rock, and fire would look much better with particle-based effects....

It's not that I'm against particles or anything but the game already revolves around .BMPs and I don't think Marcinkowski has the time to completely redo the entire system.

rabidhamster
November 1, 2005, 8:50 pm
particle effects usually suck in 2d games.

i support, except for the corpse part. how bout instead they would last until the player died two more times, and then faded away? to prevent lag, maybe they could fade slightly after the player first respawns, which would mean that they aren't shootable? good?

Keron Cyst
November 2, 2005, 12:36 am
Uh, yeah sure. Corpses are client-side anyways but you're right; it'd seem weird to watch a veteran shooting at nothing xP

rabidhamster
November 2, 2005, 1:04 am
basically what i'm saying is have them sit around longer, and fade away instead of *pop* dissapear.

Deleted User
November 2, 2005, 1:10 am
I love everything execpt the corpses part, thats a bit. . .odd Otherwise I'm behind you 100% :)

zyxstand
November 2, 2005, 2:33 am
quote:Originally posted by rabidhamsterparticle effects usually suck in 2d games.

i support, except for the corpse part. how bout instead they would last until the player died two more times, and then faded away? to prevent lag, maybe they could fade slightly after the player first respawns, which would mean that they aren't shootable? good?

what you mean particle based sux? first of all, 'peeing' in soldat is particle based - blood is too! and so are your jet-flames! look into it more before making such drastic remarks...

particle based is the way to go!
(copy and paste this statement if you agree)

Stern
November 2, 2005, 5:24 am
Particle base is NOT the way to go! The current gfx system doesn't support particle effects, they are hard to program, are unnecessary (but they are nice...), and don't look very good in 2-d.

About the animated scenery and stuff, I support it but am just playing devil's advocate for the people with sucky computers. Having millions of .bmp's would be a pain because it would make the game much larger, and would lag on older computers. Also, other (better) file types wouldn't be very useful either (like jpeg) because it would entail a complete rewrite of the gfx system.

peemonkey
November 2, 2005, 6:28 am
people with crap PC's should have a check for "active scenery []" like wheather effects, bullet trails and alike. hurrrr.

Aegis
November 2, 2005, 6:32 am

Particle systems aren't hard to program. There are untold hundreds of examples scattered about the web, its not something thats hard to learn if you already have a game with a working rendering system.

Like zyx mentioned, there are even a few particle based effects in Soldat already, it shouldn't be hard to add a few more.
Now on a more serious note: This is all just eyecandy in the end. If it's clientside it doesn't effect gameplay other than being pretty.

Keron Cyst
November 2, 2005, 6:08 pm
What exactly do you mean by "particle?" Just spewing out randomly? Then of course Soldat has particle functions! And shrapnel randomly flies out from explosions, if you pay close attention to the .BMPs extracted from demos. But the piss image, and those too I darethink, can be modified.

quote:Originally posted by Aegis... This is all just eyecandy.... If it's clientside it doesn't effect gameplay other than being pretty.

That's the point. Corpses are client-side. Would you like seeing soldaten disappear as soon as you kill them? This would make it very prettier, and more realistic, too.

numgun
November 2, 2005, 7:42 pm
good idea lad! this could advance soldat to a new level! [insert here ''level up'' sound]

Puddle Jumper
November 8, 2005, 5:11 am
I am all for this man.

Particle systems aren't hard to program. There are untold hundreds of examples scattered about the web, its not something thats hard to learn if you already have a game with a working rendering system.

Like zyx mentioned, there are even a few particle based effects in Soldat already, it shouldn't be hard to add a few more.
Now on a more serious note: This is all just eyecandy in the end. If it's clientside it doesn't effect gameplay other than being pretty.

Keron Cyst
November 8, 2005, 6:19 pm
Stupid. Aegis only meant to copy that one line ("particle-based is the way to go!"). Stop spamming like that.

How would particle even work in this case, anyways? I'm talking about temporary scenery that appears according to a specific action.

DeLarge
November 9, 2005, 7:27 pm
This idea is excellent. We should have a list of supporters.

nfsjunkie91
November 12, 2005, 5:17 am

it is a 3D game, not 2d pixel by pixel la-de-dah, 3-D games can handle particles with ease. and i think that this would be sechsey. now if only the mods would moderate my topic about having particles and ambient sound effects.

EDIT:I would also like to see if we can get other imagetypes besides bmp , like jpg or gif

Keron Cyst
November 19, 2005, 4:14 pm
OM...

why are you all blabbering about particles?! This is freakin' scenery. It has nothing to do with particles!

Hoodlum
November 19, 2005, 6:03 pm
quote:Originally posted by AlamoExcellent indeed, I'd like this a lot :)

Stern
November 27, 2005, 4:42 pm
Seriously, this topic is an ACTIVE SCENERY topic. Talk about particles when nfsjunkie's topic appears on the game improvements forum. Let's talk about SCENERY here.

I like the idea of active scenery. It wouldn't take too much processing power, but would take some time and effort by michal to make, since he has to do a series of bmp's. Then again, if michal switches over to .gif's, which isn't going to happen, this idea would be much more relevant.

Yuth
November 27, 2005, 8:31 pm
*Thumb Up* - ( To the Active Scenery )
I'm not so sure about the other stuff.

Kyklis
December 7, 2005, 12:44 am
Blah, how stupid of me. I was about to point out that corpes would be hard to melt away because of ragdoll x.X. ( If you were thinking the same thing: The corpes are made up of several different BMP's, like arm, leg, hand, ect., So you'd just have to make a set of BMP's melting into skeleton parts )

This would be a VERY good idea. Should be able to be turned off though.

person
December 7, 2005, 6:21 am
Dunno if anyone has said this, but I just played 1.05b for the first time like yesterday... the "liana" sceneries actually swayed back and forth in that...

Keron Cyst
December 7, 2005, 6:34 pm
Really? Why was that removed, then? That'd be awesome to return.