( search forums )
Gathers?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Echo_Trail
November 1, 2005, 12:55 pm
Hi all.. i hear people talk about it, but i have absolutely no idea what it is..
I mean, i heard it's some place where one can meet pro players.. But is it like, a forum or something? and pro players? i know it might sound stupid, but do you actually mean professional players, or just really good players?
I'd like to know more, so if anyone knows something about this, or knows where else i might ask, please tell me..
thanks
echo out

lithium
November 1, 2005, 1:46 pm
Pro just means somebody who's really, really good, often part of a big-name clan. I don't know anything about gathers, either, since I don't really care, but I think it's IRC.

FliesLikeABrick
November 1, 2005, 1:48 pm
irc.quakenet.org #soldat.gather

gather is the name of that channel. people show up if they want to play soldat, and by using commands in the channel they add themselves to a list of players in the bot. the bot then sends each player information about a private server, as well as which team to join.

basically it organizes games for bored people.

TheFunktopus
November 1, 2005, 1:49 pm
IRC, Quakenet, #soldat.gather. People go there, organise teams, and play.

If you don't have an IRC client, you can get one here. The second one is more popular and you'll find more people that can help you with it, but the nag screen is annyoing. The first one, in my opinion, is better.

Echo_Trail
November 1, 2005, 1:55 pm
oh.. well, thanks you guys! but i think i'll sit this one out.. for now!

.alex.oner.
November 1, 2005, 6:30 pm
if you sit out, then you miss out on basically the whole soldat community.. playing on pubs and visiting these forums wont get you anywhere in the 'community', irc is the best method of communication for soldat players..

Deleted User
November 1, 2005, 6:46 pm
/server irc.quakenet.org -j #soldat.gather
FTW
I usually do bad in gathers, because people that can change reputations play there alot, so I do bad (pressure)

Echo_Trail
November 1, 2005, 6:59 pm
really?.. missing the community, huh? didn't realize that.. i'll give it a try!

rabidhamster
November 1, 2005, 7:59 pm
sorry about the off-topicness, but you have 13 posts per day echo.

Echo_Trail
November 1, 2005, 9:06 pm
uuhm..ok.. is that bad?

lithium
November 2, 2005, 3:43 am
He's contributing, rabid. Jeez.

Deleted User
November 2, 2005, 3:47 am
lol anything over 10 means your spamming something severe usualy, ilkl see you on irc, its ,mostly complaing about macs and ipod :p

.Loki
November 2, 2005, 4:03 am
says:
"Cannot join channel, you must be authed to join (+r)"

Lameness. Sounds like fun, too.

vash763
November 2, 2005, 4:06 am
I guess I am completely missing out on the community then, too bad

Echo_Trail
November 2, 2005, 7:16 am
but i don't spam.. check out my other postings.. most of them are sirious replies on issues.. i don't do 3 word replies or anything..
i also post alot on the lounge and pit forums.. and they don't count as posts, u know, so why would i do that if i was just hunting posts?

EmDzej
November 2, 2005, 7:21 am
quote:Originally posted by .Lokisays:
"Cannot join channel, you must be authed to join (+r)"

Lameness. Sounds like fun, too.

This mode only allows users authed with Q to join the channel.
How to get auth:

http://www.quakenet.org/faq/faq.php?c=1&f=51#51

-DoA-Pero-SLO-
November 2, 2005, 11:03 am
Yeah, you need to auth, and if you will play good there you may get +v(like me and emdzej have ;) ) to play in "anti-n00b" gathers.
And yes, irc is a whole new community with the best clans and players :p

.alex.oner.
November 2, 2005, 5:48 pm
pero should have his voice removed though, for being a [CENSORED] =)

GAMEOVER
November 2, 2005, 9:57 pm
Only downfall with gathers is it seems to favor euro players over NA players like myself because of the server locations. I think their all in europe.

.Loki
November 3, 2005, 12:18 am
pff, real soldat players aren't affected by lag ;)

-DoA-Pero-SLO-
November 3, 2005, 10:22 am
quote:Originally posted by .alex.oner.pero should have his voice removed though, for being a [CENSORED] =)

wub joo alex ;)

Outcast
November 4, 2005, 10:44 am
Yup, gather is a decisive step onto the true path of the warrior.