( search forums )
FN Minimi
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Weapon Balance Discussion
Deleted User
November 1, 2005, 8:15 pm
What do people think about the Minimi?

I have made this topic because so far there has been little talk about it (maybe because not many players use it).

I think the Minimi is fine as it was in original 1.3 because it is not too dominent like it was in 1.2.1 but it has not been over nerfed. In my opinion, it does not need further
weakening.

What are your comments/suggestions?

Bugs Revenge
November 2, 2005, 2:37 am
Look, we'r gonna nerf 'a bit' most of the autoguns + the other guns
I think decreasing -3 of its dmg would be fine.

Deleted User
November 3, 2005, 7:18 pm
Minime is the least used auto this version after minigun if that even counts as a auto. Just pointing something out :P.

Deleted User
November 3, 2005, 7:39 pm
I use it, so i only want it to get nerfed if it actually needs to be nerfed, not just because not many people use it or because there a few too many biased Ruger/anti-auto people out there.

EDIT: Yeah i know im being a bit of a hypocrite as i said this- quote:Originally posted by SDFilm

Or to make it feel even more 'rifley', after each bullet, you manualy cock the reloading bolt to reload the next bullet from the clip, fire that, repeat, and when the clip is empty you reload another clip. You could operate the bolt by pressing the fire button again or make a separate 'bolt' button.

Will this be too much trouble than its worth?

This is used on The Trenches (a ww1 half-life mod)http://www.thetrenches.net/

I'm not sure if this will fit into soldat well, but I like it on The Trenches because you realy get the feeling that its a bolt-action weapon instead of a slow semi-automatic.

But i still dont like the way the Minimi is being nerfed again, unless it is properly balanced.

GAMEOVER
November 3, 2005, 7:58 pm
Its the most powerful auto in the game. I can click fire this thing super fast and rack up 3 or 4 kills per clip relatively easy. Up its speed so people dont click fire this thing and reduce its damage.

Zegovia
November 4, 2005, 4:33 pm
Its a heavier Machine gun than the ak, but still has lesser firepower, ive always been bugged about that... :/

Swarmer
November 4, 2005, 5:45 pm
Maybe this is just something wrong with my game, but isnt the moveaccel WAY too high?
When i am in the air moving foward with my minimi, my shots sometimes go BEHIND me. they just fire in a random direction until i let go of a movement button. It makes no sense. i think this is just a problem with my game, but how could that happen just to me?

Deleted User
November 4, 2005, 10:03 pm
I'm a minimi user. One thing that would be cool is to raise the damage and movement accuracy. That'll make it more of a support gun.

frogboy
November 4, 2005, 11:01 pm
quote:Originally posted by PoopMinime is the least used auto this version after minigun if that even counts as a auto. Just pointing something out :P.
It depends - over here Minimi is still the most used auto, followed by MP5 and then Ak and Steyr are used around the same amount.

As of 1.3, it's as powerful as Ak (6 headshots = kill), with a slightly higher rate of fire, with 10 more bullets (and almost two seconds longer reload as a result) - so the best idea would be to lower the power to make it slightly less powerful than Ak but more powerful than Steyr - there's no point in having two weapons which are almost the same.

Bugs Revenge
November 5, 2005, 2:37 am
Well, maybe it's this way on the U.S but here ppl use it and actualy pwning with it oO..
It need a little nerf and that's it.

Algernon
November 5, 2005, 10:12 am
maybe it's just me...or the server, but i was in the WM test server and the minimi has uber blink. i could fire the AK more accurately than the minimi and that is just not right. comparing it to the AK, i say we should have the same balance there was is 1.2.1. the AK's individual bullet did more dammage but the higher ROF of the minimi technically made it the more powerfull weapon. i found the AK to be superior for my stype of play but the weapons were balanced enough that it was up to personal peference. as far as 1.3 goes, get rid of some of the blink. maybe it was just the WM test sever but the blink really nerfed the minimi.

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 3:24 pm
I'd like it to be more powerful but harder to control or a lower ROF, so that it can keep its style as the support auto rather than yet another close-range sprayer. The Minimi is turning more and more into a Steyr than a mid-long range support machinegun :S

Ok
November 8, 2005, 6:31 am
Then only reason ppl don't use Minimi much, is because the AK is more powerfull and reloads much faster.
Nevertheless, nerf the AK and more minimi users will pop up because its just around the alley.
So it does need a bit of nerfing.

Deleted User
November 24, 2005, 4:44 pm
Actually I'm not so sure if that "Support Auto" thing I said in the last post will be ok, as it will just turn the Minimi into an AK or an overpowered Ruger :S

So making the bullet damage higher will dwarf the AK and Ruger, but making the damage too low will just make it a toned down minigun :(

Deleted User
November 25, 2005, 1:10 am
Increasing the bullet speed a bit for the Minimi, while leaving everything else about the same would increase its long-range utility. The main difference between the AK and the Minimi in soldat is the damage and bullet speed, so this would just be having them go farther into their respective niches.

The Minimi though is a rather heavy machine-gun, closely related to the rear-mounted guns on American Humvees. The minimi should be a long-ranged gun, with good accuracy (low self-bink), but is cumbersome while moving. I'll try out this interperetation of the minimi and get back to you.

***** Some time later ****

I found something around this seemed to be balanced:
[FN Minimi]
Damage=88
FireInterval=9
Ammo=50
ReloadTime=250
Speed=290
BulletStyle=1
StartUpTime=0
Bink=-37
MovementAcc=4

The accuracy will be low when in high-maneuvers, but greater when stable. The increased velocity will improve the accuracy, and improve the damage a bit. The Minimi thus configured becomes a long-range machine-gun that will suffer somewhat in close quarters. It is just on the edge of a 5-headshot kill with the increased velocity. It is now a more difficult weapon to use, but not necessarily a worse one.

Deleted User
November 25, 2005, 5:16 am
I think the minimi is okay the way it is,more people use it than you'd think.
And me and that "gun shooter" guy on U13 have single-handedly created a minigun trend on U13- way more people use it than they used to xD

Deleted User
November 25, 2005, 9:43 pm
I totaly agree with Lemurson's version.

Deleted User
November 27, 2005, 1:30 am
After more testing, and playing with the standard Minimi online, I think that the revised one should have a power of something closer to 92. This is due to the fact that most auto-combat takes place at close range with a lot of jumping about. This will have serious effects on a gun whose move-acc is greater than that of a ruger's, and will result in a lot of point-blank missing. Since it becomes harder to shoot the enemy, to balance this, every shot which does hit should count for a little more. The gun is going to work well as a long-range MG from a safe position, and aim will be very important. The bots however are going to pwn with the minimi now...

Algernon
December 7, 2005, 2:58 pm
no more nerfing. please stop it. i strongly believe that we should tweak the bullet damage and bullet speed before we start to "nerf" anything. nerfing should be a last resort and used only a weapons that are clearly over powered.

we need to have a clearly defined objective as to what the weapons are to be like before we start to nerf anything. this is something that i think we can all agree on. as far as machine guns goes:

MP5: the MP5 should be the most powerful MG at close range, but have the least range of them all. meaning that if a aug and MP5 bot tore into each other at close range the MP5 should bot should come out on top. don't rely on guess work, test them out on bots for peet's sake.
aug: the 2nd most powerful MG. it should be able to take down an AK user at close range but it's higher ROF (blink) will make it harder to kill over longer distances, although it does or should have a higher buller speed than the AK.
minimi: it should have a high bullet speed on par with the aug but a slower ROF with less blink as a result AND greater bullet damage. i think it technically should be the weakest auto at cose range, losing out to the aug, AK and MP5 BUT it's flat trajectory from it's higher bullet speed and lower blink makes it the best auto for long ranges (across the screen or even off-screen shots).
AK: the AK should be somehwere in between the aug and minimi. it should be less powerful than the aug at close ranges but more powerfull at longer ranges due to it's low blink. conversly it should be the more powerful weapon at close ranges than the minimi but weaker at long distances.

we don't need to nerf anything to get that blance. it can be achieved soley through tweaking the bullet damage and bullet speed. a weapon can still have the same power by removing points from the bullet speed and adding it to the bullet damage. this weapon can still have the same "power" but shoot completely different. get me on that damn beta testing team. i do not like where all this nerfing is taking us.