( search forums )
ctf_uphill (vertical)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
headstone
November 2, 2005, 11:58 am
k... This is my third map, but my other two were a redo and a training map. So, this is my first original map.

I wanted to go for something different, so I went vertical, non-symmetric. Nothing's set in stone, and I plan on putting more effort into its looks later, especially the upper outer walls.

Balance

Yeah, red has to climb up but they can leap down much faster. Vice versa for blue.

? Blue's base is more open for attack, but I've given some good spots to defend from, and if the flag stealer hops over the wall, the blues can flow out of the tunnels below their base and meet him. If he tries to take the tunnels himself, he has to waste time going around the platform and stuff.

? Attacking red takes more stealth, and the dark cover hides attackers and defenders alike. There are alot of colliders underground, and using them to your advantage will help you win.

Waypoints

? While the waypoints aren't complete (they bore me), I'd imagine that this map would be fairly easy to do. If you waypoint, I'll update. :)

Layout

? http://xs53.xs.to/pics/05441/uphill_layout.jpg

Pics

? http://xs53.xs.to/pics/05441/uphill_pic1.jpg
? http://xs53.xs.to/pics/05441/uphill_pic2.jpg
? http://xs53.xs.to/pics/05441/uphill_pic3.jpg

Download

? http://www.momoshare.com/file.php?file=ea3d5085ff84358e563347722f5488bd

Echo_Trail
November 2, 2005, 12:59 pm
Looks awesome, dude.. i really like it, cause it looks to have good combat scenes.. only, i think red will be camping alot! on those "floating" islands in the cave.. sniper zone..

Leo
November 2, 2005, 1:26 pm
Hmm... looks nice. I miss 2 scenery files, blankfade.bmp and dust2 kisten.bmp. Can you attach them ? I may put this on my server :)

Deleted User
November 2, 2005, 1:55 pm
nice map :D

Keron Cyst
November 2, 2005, 6:21 pm
semagae, you tackle this one; I'm too busy to waypoint three other maps for the contest.

@headstone: make the Alpha light better. In the second screenie I saw some blue triangle. If that is supposed to be water trash the polygon and use a transparent, stretched, bluish-tinged blank.BMP. Trust me; it'll look much better ;-)

The Geologist
November 2, 2005, 7:16 pm
Map looks beautiful, and I like the choices of colors and what you did with the lower route. My only objection is in the layout, as the blue team has a huge advantage in that all they need to do is keep nade spamming enough and the red advance will meet serious trouble. These vertical maps usually give one team the shaft.

headstone
November 2, 2005, 8:14 pm
quote:Looks awesome, dude.. i really like it, cause it looks to have good combat scenes.. only, i think red will be camping alot! on those "floating" islands in the cave.. sniper zone..

Thanks, any ideas on how to prevent that?

quote:Hmm... looks nice. I miss 2 scenery files, blankfade.bmp and dust2 kisten.bmp. Can you attach them ? I may put this on my server :)

Sweet. I'll put those up.

quote:nice map :D

thanks man

quote:make the Alpha light better

You mean the light under their base? That's one of the things I was hoping on improving, but I could use some help with that.

quote:In the second screenie I saw some blue triangle. If that is supposed to be water trash the polygon and use a transparent, stretched, bluish-tinged blank.BMP. Trust me; it'll look much better ;-)

That's exactly what I did.... jpg screens don't tell all. :) I used a few layers and chucked in some 'seaweed' and crates under water, too.

quote:Map looks beautiful, and I like the choices of colors and what you did with the lower route. My only objection is in the layout, as the blue team has a huge advantage in that all they need to do is keep nade spamming enough and the red advance will meet serious trouble. These vertical maps usually give one team the shaft.

Thanks, what if I added a little strip of bullet-collide polies at the tip of the cliffs just above alpha base? (the ones that look like quarter pipes)

The Geologist
November 2, 2005, 8:20 pm
That might work..maybe put up a column or something and line it with colliders. As it is it's just way too easy to launch nades down into the red base from up high on blue, so at least a few colliders would probably go a logn way if placed well.

headstone
November 2, 2005, 8:31 pm
Oh, yeah, the colliders would work better than the polys, cause with the ploys the nades would just sit there until an alpha flew up into them. Also, I'll remove (or maybe just reduce) the nade spawns right on the blue base...

Deleted User
November 2, 2005, 11:12 pm
i i shall waypoint this! :P

headstone
November 2, 2005, 11:47 pm
thank you!

And don't worry, there probably won't be that many changes to the main shaoe of the map.

Raptor
November 3, 2005, 12:43 am
Now this is a perfect map, I like especially the shading and the layout!

*Downloads*

headstone
November 3, 2005, 12:31 pm
Thanks.

Oh jeez, Leo, I forgot to put up those files. I won't be able to do it until later.

[edit:] here's the two sceneries:

http://www.momoshare.com/file.php?file=41fa67e3818c038a7da82723300ab282

Deleted User
November 3, 2005, 1:09 pm
red has an advantage too, as they have a downhill escape route with the flag

headstone
November 5, 2005, 12:13 pm
Yep, but I tried to make sure it wasn't just a straght fall right on to the flag.

headstone
November 6, 2005, 11:03 pm
Leo, did the download work okay?

And semagae, how are the waypoints going?

Deleted User
November 7, 2005, 11:30 pm
the waypoints are going well, but i keep haveing to change them because of the 500 wp limit...
so... its good(won't be long)

headstone
November 17, 2005, 11:35 pm
Dude, seriously, there are some big updates I'd like to do, but I don't want to do them till you give back the map. If you're to busy, I could find someone else to wp?

headstone
November 27, 2005, 5:25 pm
Seriously, semagae, have you even started? You've had it for a month and won't say anything about it...

I really want to update it...

Deleted User
November 27, 2005, 6:07 pm
sorry, got grounded and forgot over that period... :(
go ahead and get keron, i ran dry on waypoints when i tryed to do it(had 2 or 3 versions)
couldn't get it to work with both sides all the way :(
i might aswell get the last version i had before i got grounded
*runs off and checks file*
go ahead and do what you want you want to it...

EDIT: dang :(
its at the other house...

Deleted User
November 27, 2005, 7:48 pm
Wow, this looks like much of fun. d\l
Nice.

headstone
November 27, 2005, 10:43 pm
PS how the heck would I get this tested?

Deleted User
November 28, 2005, 12:00 am
what?
what are you talking about?

headstone
November 28, 2005, 1:03 am
Umm

how... would... I... go... about... getting my map tested online?

Deleted User
November 28, 2005, 1:47 pm
open a server...