( search forums )
Okay...
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Weapon Balance Discussion
Da cHeeSeMaN
November 2, 2005, 2:07 pm
Well today i went and tested the new thing on the TNL server(it finally wasn't full :P) I think somethings worked...and others failed miserably.

I played a few rounds...not too long because well i think every trying to join that server...i know i was and well its full most of the time.
I didn't see a single barret/m79 user sure i tried but no! you cannot hit anything with the bloody start up time. Maybe i can see why you wanted start-up time for a barret: it shoots straight you can still hit stuff. But an m79? No more nice curvy shots by the time it comes out the guy has moved or killed you; you have to get closer to get a kill by that time your probaly dead or very low life.
The barret well the only people getting kills with that were camping. Everyone sarted to use the spas...well it seemed perfectly able at killing any opposition(ideas maybe to powerful?) Aug users suddenly sprouted up everywhere...i used to like the aug because it required aim...now it seemed way to easy. I camped in the middle of Kampf with a minime and no one got passed...for a long time...i dont want to brag but hey maybe minime too powerful?

Finally you got the minigun right...you could actually kill people it :P was great! Lets see...Chainsaw had alot of ammo(your just giving an added bonus) Didnt really see many other weapons being used...and thats why i think something is terribly wrong

Kazuki
November 2, 2005, 7:29 pm
I myself disagreed with a few of the changes made in the newest weapon modification:

1) The M79 does not need a startup time. A longer reload time would have been fine. Putting a startup time on the M79 put it way below the Barret and below all other weapons as well.
2) Strengthening the spas even more was a definite mistake. =| It was strong enough as it is, and it may have even needed some nerfing, though that I'm not sure about.

Deleted User
November 2, 2005, 9:26 pm
I liked the m79 start up time. Hell, I even got accused of hacking when I was just using it. I don't think the rate for the spaz should've been raised, though. The rate was good before because it beat ruger at closer ranges. All the spaz needs is less damage. Say, about 1/4 health left after a spaz shot at point-blank range.

Ok
November 3, 2005, 1:54 pm
The m79 delay is pointless!!!!!
So is the barret!
This is exactly what I'm talking about , adding new elements into the weapons.
M79 and Barret weren't that bad in 1.2.1, the barretards whined, sure.
Now you took it off TOO much.
Insted of adding an element! just find the balance betwin too much bink and too little!
Don't be lazy!

Da cHeeSeMaN
November 3, 2005, 5:35 pm
yes thats what im saying delaying the m79 and Barret doesn't work well...
The Spas was fine...before why does it need more power lol?

Chakra`
November 3, 2005, 8:53 pm
I changed the spas just to see if people would notice to be honest.

As for the m79 delay, does it really need that many exclamation marks Ok? the delay is 0.15th of a second, I believe.

MisterX
November 4, 2005, 4:12 pm
Guys, keep in mind: The delay is about getting used to. For sure you won't hit anything from the start. It is the same when the aiming of a weapon is changed. You just can't master it from the start, because you aren't used to it. So please take your time with testing it before you say it sucks.
As for me, I really like the delays. I haven't tested them for long myself, but they seem to be very fine. And the weapons still seem to be very useful once you get used to the delay.

DeMonIc
November 4, 2005, 4:13 pm
Haven't fiddled around that much with M79, but I can safely say that the ammo reduction and charge time for the barret finally balanced it.

Deleted User
November 4, 2005, 11:20 pm
MisterX, when people have alternative weapons, which take no getting used to and no learning, which do you think they will choose? LAW is underpowered, m79 in the TNL server is horrible, Barret in the TNL server is horrible, I couldnt hit anything unless I was really close with those weapons. When you have other weapons which are easier to learn, every or atleast 95% of new players will choose those alternatives weapon. Maybe a few old vets will stick with m79 and Barret, but not too many if the delay is added, You can see that from LAW. Now, "LAw is perfect it requires skill zomg", for you that might be the case, but as I have viewed from the majority of my statistics and observations, LAW is a severly underused and underpowered weapon now. To give you a little fact, in my logs which I recently compiled from the last month or so, there are 327 LAW kills, and 251 FIST!!! Kills. While there have been 2068 Knife kills, and 760 Socom kills. These are some really sad statistics when Fist is getting near as many kills as a weapon. Last version I would have to say it was more like 40% in LAW, 40% in Knife, 15% in socom and 5% in chainsaw. btw, 101 of those LAW kills are from me, and 210 of the SOCOM kills are also from me.

Making the weapon harder to use will detract players from using it at all. The charge up time to Barret and m79 have made those weapons significantly harder to use. Simple as that, thats why nobody was using the m79 or barret in the server while I was playing except me.

Chakra`
November 5, 2005, 12:48 am
Well the changes made towards the barret were entirely the forums suggestion and my perspective on them. The m79 I changed was simply experimental for people to get a grip on all the various ways it could be 'toned down'.

Mielos
November 5, 2005, 11:48 am
The Startup time is simply something to get used, I don't think you're trying. I managed to get a bunch of kills with m79 and barret yesterday, a lot of peope were also using m79 after I was playing with it for about 5-10 minutes or something. It went kinda easyer with barret then with m79 tough... maybe decrease it's reload time a bit?

Has the startuptime of the law changed? because there is nothing about it in the weapon menu.