( search forums )
Ak47
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Weapon Balance Discussion
Ok
November 3, 2005, 1:32 pm
Well I see no one have made a topic about the AK47.
I find it surprising.
I find the AK47 still overpowered.
As the matter of fact, because it has a slower fire rate, the selfbink is barely effective!
And with a 4-5 bullets kill who cares about the slow rate ?
Its actualy more effective!
I kill with it so easly, and then left with alot of spare bullets.

And the team mode! when a team uses a fram of AK only, its just the same as 1.2.1
True less bink, but who needs bink when you can kill someone faster then he can with 2 ruger shots, not to mention any other weapon.

In short, I say up with the self bink.
self bink in any weapon should be appropriate to its fire rate, slower fire rate, more selfbink.

Its way too powerfull anyways, a weapon with so many bullets shouldn't be able to kill with 4-5 shots.
also if someone thinking "ruger kicks ak's ass" maybe, but that's because ruger isn't binked enough.

Whe tweaking 1 weapon one should consider effects of other tweaks as well.

Deleted User
November 3, 2005, 7:16 pm
I sorta agree your point about selfbink not being dependant on damage. I think selfbink should take effect at the time where the weapon has fired enough bullets to take out something like 35% of the opponents health. for AK that would be like 3 bullets, for minime 2-3 bullets, for mp5 4-6 bullets, for steyr like 6-7 bullets. This may seem like mp5 and steyr are given a advantage, but not really because thier rate of fire is higher than minime and ak. So I think the selfbink should be dependant on time instead of damage or rate of fire alone, If it takes a steyr .75 seconds to fire 6-7 rounds which if all hit can take out 35% of the opponents health, thats whne selfbink should take effect. If it takes a ak .5 seconds to fire 3 bullets which can take out 50% health, thats when selfbink should take effect. If it takes mp5 .5 seconds to fire 4-6 bullets which takes out 35% health, thats when selfbink should take effect. And so forth.

Im just giving a suggestion on when selfbink should start taking effect.

GAMEOVER
November 3, 2005, 7:48 pm
imo the AK74 is not overpowered its the slowest fireing auto the minimi can do more damage then this weapon, if anything the AK is the 1st or 2nd weakest of all autos. Dont forget, speed = power.

Chakra`
November 3, 2005, 8:49 pm
The ak74 in the test server has been changed with a reduction in damage.

Ok
November 3, 2005, 11:06 pm
quote:Originally posted by GAMEOVERimo the AK74 is not overpowered its the slowest fireing auto the minimi can do more damage then this weapon, if anything the AK is the 1st or 2nd weakest of all autos. Dont forget, speed = power.

That's where you are wrong, a simple dodge of back and forth and you cause the styre/mp5 user to waste a third of his bullets on air.
Do it again and again while firing with your slow shooting AK47 and he has not chance.
Aspecialy when you're talking about big maps when you can jsut keep your distance.
Add another AK to the factor, and you have a winning team.

You can see it clearly in a game that involves a bit of team work.

Try to ignore U13. its a public, not a really good place to test.

As agreed long ago, the weapons balance should be fitted to a cw mode.
And by that it will fit to all the rest as well.

papasurf31
November 3, 2005, 11:09 pm
naw, I completely disagree with making autos weaker, at least damge wise. IMO, the way to go is increase self bink, lower ROF, or (what I think is the best idea) lengthen reload time. The bullets should actually be a bit MORE powerful IMO, at leats for the ak, but the clip size could be reduced to 30 to prevent spraying. Maybe 35?

BTW - ak doesn't kill in 4-5 hits, not even with all headshots.

Rabble
November 5, 2005, 7:04 am
Ide have to dissagree... if you are a smart player, it is very easy to out smart an ak user, since the fire rate is so slow, using the jump back and forth tactic can easily fool them, due to the slow firing rate, ok you said that a steyr or an mp5 user would waste most of their clip on air, well, when you are using an ak, and using the jump back and forth tactic, since the fire rate is so slow, your % of hitting the person is much less then if you were using a gun with a higher fire rate. i have used the ak alot, and i like the weapon balance, and you say that the bink helps the ak? what about in 1.2.1 when you could easy kill somone with 4-5 shots like you said, without bink, it still makes it harder, because your hit % is affected by the bink. Using your brains yopu could easyily outsmart an ak user, its all about the way u move and the way you shoot

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 3:24 pm
No... I don't think it's overpowered. The large clip leads to long lasting and affective sprays, though. Maybe we should give it a clip of 25-30 bullets and shorter reload time.

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 8:02 pm
I've seen ok playing with it, I can't really say he's good with it.
Anyways Ak used to be my favorite in 1.2.1, I still use it in 1.3, but it's hard the bink is really annoying.

Ok
November 6, 2005, 6:38 am
quote:Originally posted by RabbleIde have to dissagree... if you are a smart player, it is very easy to out smart an ak user,

Consider the fact that you might be facing good players, so out smarting is not really solving anything now is it..
the point is balance betwin the weapons, for this matter think of 2 equaly smart players.

he can jump all he wants back and forth, while he's doing it he can't shoot, but I can :)
I'm assuming you didn't get to play much cw's vs good clans , or any.

a-4-year-old
November 10, 2005, 3:33 pm
fine then deagles mp5 styer ak spaz ruger m79 barret minimi minigun soccom knife chainsaw and law are all OVERPOWERED

ak is not overpowered i have no idea where you came up with that,
a simple dodge would not do anything more than 4-5 bullets waisted not 1/3 mp5=not enough bink styger=too much bink. ak is like a middle between the minimi and the mp5. styger is the minigun's younger brother who can actually be used. all these weapons are for combatting tards and snipers.

Algernon
November 14, 2005, 11:27 am
i don't think the AK is overpowerd when i can charge an AK user and blast point blank with an m79, reload and then repete. the AK has too much blink IMO. i'd like to see bullet damage increased while speed is decreased. i'd like it to stay a 5-6 shot kill weapon but decrease it's range by slowing down the bullet speed. conversely i'd like to decrease the minimi's bullet damage but increase it's speed. make the minimi the MG with the longest range.

EDIT: what's with the CW nonsense? the vast majority of players out there play on public servers, not to mention the new players. make the weapons balanced for the public servers and new players or soldat will have no new players and no future. the autos are weak as crap in the publics. it's hard to take on an m79 EFC when another m79 or barret can blast you out of the sky if you manage to evade the ECF's rounds. in large public servers the m79 and barret are heavily unbalanced. at times it's just too hard to make a quick kills with these autos and i have to turn around and chase someone down but, due to the large size of some of these publics, i'll meet 9+ other player head on. outside of my own mod, i've given up on autos and gone to the spaz or m79.

this is my AK:

[Ak-74]
Damage=135
FireInterval=10
Ammo=40
ReloadTime=150
Speed=200
BulletStyle=1
StartUpTime=0
Bink=-30
MovementAcc=2

Ok
November 15, 2005, 8:52 am
Autos are team work weapons and should be that way.
1 auto shouldn't be able to deal with 3 players on his own.
You got owned becuase your team sucked, in 1.2.1 I could take an AK and pwn 3-4 barretards, that's overpowered my friend.
I've been playing in publics alot, if my team is equal to the other the team, I can easly shift the win/lose situation by changing teams, and I expect that from every soldat player who has been playing as long as I have , WITHOUT needed an overpowered AK with the ability to easy kill 4 players with 1 clip

The cw mode is the most important one because its effects all the rest and eventualy most players get there and it will determine if they'll get sick of Soldat or continue to support it.

This forum hardly represent the faithfull soldat community that keeps it alive beyond the public crap, this is the community who needs to be considered.
The one who made Soldat Gather and Soldat Radio and TNL and SCTFL and so on...
We do more then just play the game, so we deserve more.

Furthermore, new players will keep on coming as they always did, no matter what the weapons balance is, if the time of 90% barret in publics brought new players, then anything will.
Its our job to make sure they wanna stay after they get sick of camping and look for new adventures.

Algernon
November 16, 2005, 4:13 am
i the problem i have is that the AK is nearly useless on the large servers. it cannot kill quickly enough. i'll tear into someone on my way to the flag and they'll run right past me, off screen and onto my flag. the m79 is just a far superior weapon. it totally outclases the AK and most other autos. i can just run away from the autos and if they try to chase me i blast them with the m79 if htey get too close or they'll run into the rest of my team and get mowed down. on some of these servers the autos spend more time chasing me down than going after the flag. a team of m79s will totaly dominate. i agree that the AK was a little unbalanced in 1.2.1 but a halfway decent m79 could take on an AK no problem. the autos are far too weak in 1.3. unless you want to defend the base or something then they are completely useless.

MisterX
November 16, 2005, 1:40 pm
I disagree. First, I really don't think autos are underpowered in 1.3 in general. Just take the MP5 as an example, it's even overpowered in 1.3. And I don't find anything wrong about Steyr. In my mind it's neither overpowered, nor underpowered, meaning it's fine.
But on with the AK. Keep in mind that it has a large magazine but a relativly slow rate of fire. This way you can fire very, very long with the AK. In a direct duel you will mostly be able to go on shooting while your enemy has to reload once or even twice. And for this ammo and rate of fire it's still pretty strong. So I really doubt it's underpowered, more likely a tad to strong (Not much, though).

Bugs Revenge
November 16, 2005, 3:16 pm
yeah this time I'm with MisterX. The ak is a BIT overpowered. just a little damage reduce.

GAMEOVER
November 16, 2005, 9:16 pm
The AK is not overpowered at all like I said before add to all weapons and dont take away much if anything at all. Just other weapons like the Steyr getting a little more power will balance the AK out all on its own. The AK should be clearly the strongest auto in the game. Adding in areas and taking away from too many others is just you guys making the weapons unbalanced yet again. I posted my final opinion for the weapon balance in the next version so ill end this post now. Dont mess with the AK.

Algernon
November 17, 2005, 2:37 am
quote:Originally posted by MisterXI disagree. First, I really don't think autos are underpowered in 1.3 in general. Just take the MP5 as an example, it's even overpowered in 1.3. And I don't find anything wrong about Steyr. In my mind it's neither overpowered, nor underpowered, meaning it's fine.
But on with the AK. Keep in mind that it has a large magazine but a relativly slow rate of fire. This way you can fire very, very long with the AK. In a direct duel you will mostly be able to go on shooting while your enemy has to reload once or even twice. And for this ammo and rate of fire it's still pretty strong. So I really doubt it's underpowered, more likely a tad to strong (Not much, though).

maybe i'm out of touch with the rest of the soldat community, or perhaps they are. duels? what? there are few duels in public soldat. the servers are too large to duel for any length of time. you CANNOT afford to chase someone down, turn around ect. you need to make your way to the flag and kill quickly while on route. the autos simply cannot kill quickly enough in 1.3 to be affective in any server larger than 12 players. the larger the server the less affective the weapon will be. lag plays a nasty role too. maybe on small server or CWs the balance is OK, but it is not on the large public servers. i know this for a fact. i play small publics and the balance is indeed OK, not great but it is OK. on the small servers i can afford to turn my back to the enemy base, i can afford the time it takes to take someone down with an auto. it's OK then because there are far less players and i don't have to worry about being players constantly bombarding be with one shot kill weapons and auto fire.

i have to conclude that the current weapon balance is set up for slower paced game play of the smaller servers (less than 12 players typically). on the large servers the autos get owned plain and simple. one shot kill weapons abound as they are the most effective in quick killing. like i said before, the m79 totally outclasses the autos. all you have to do to run, shoot and reload with the thing and the autos aren't even a threat unless they base camp. don't even try to tell me that it's OK to base camp. since when did the weapon balance get so screwed up that a large portion of the weapons are relegated to "defense" because they pail in comparison to other weapons? just look at the 1.3.1 beta testing server. it's maximum players allowed is 8! 8, damit 8! how is balancing the game to support 8 or fewer player even remotely accurate? has 1.3 become a game where you cannot have more that 12 players in a server before the weapon balance falls flat on it's face?

all weapons should have EQUAL offensive capabilities, and all weapons should be able to kill fairly quickly so that the weapon balance is equal in ALL scenarios, not just CWs or small servers. i think the guys in control of weapon balance are missing the big picture here, that or i am.

Echo_Trail
November 17, 2005, 7:35 pm
ak is not like any of the other weapons.. i can easely take out an enemy with ak with a mp5 or steyer AUG. It's good, but not overpowered.. has many strengh's, i'll give u that, but it has the weakness which u referred to yourself.. the slow firing rate. and that is really all it takes.

Deleted User
November 21, 2005, 4:10 pm
^agree

-Claw-
November 27, 2005, 8:48 pm
is it as accurate as AUG?
Does it take more to reload?
Is it more powerful than Minimi or Mp5?
Does it have more selfbink than AUG?

I have been using this weapon since 1.2 came out, still some AUG players cna snap me down and it really seems to be easy, since they arent always even bleeding. Think about if you go against Mp5 in a map like Laos, you have to go back alot to keep distance, to be able to win mp5.
Ak is an average weapon, not the strongest, not the weakest, it has its good points such as long lasting clip and relatively short reloadtime/bullets in magazine.

Ok
November 29, 2005, 9:24 am
Sure, if you attack and rush your enemie, you're [CENSORED]ed with an AK.
Which is why everone is spraying with it.
Maybe I shouldn't call it over powered, its just a spraying weapon wich is just too good for that purpose.
Something needs to be done for that matter, maybe increase its self bink?
You can check it yourself, and the AK only starts to realy self bink near the end of the clip, by then I can kill 2 or even 3 enemies.

Outcast
November 30, 2005, 9:06 am
Why spray with the AK. Or run to the flag with. AK has a purpose, and that is, kill everyone, since you can, until you die. Let the other guy take care of the flag. :)

It's not overpowered at all, it has a large magazine but i can get my ass kicked so fast against any weapon, especially rugers and DE.
It's just a good persuit weapon since it has good accuracy and a long magazine. Unlike minimi who is actually already designed to be a spray weapon :p

Algernon
December 7, 2005, 2:14 pm
the HK does need a little tweaking. how about we take 30 points away from bullet speed and add them to bullet damage? this will give the weapon a little less range and a heavier trajectory making it harder to aim over long distances. the minimi will now be the MG with the flat trajectory and the game wil be a little more balanced as a result. the AK will technically still be as powerful but a little harder to use over long ranges, however, it will be a little more potent at closer ranges due to the heavy trajectory. it can shoot over and down into the terrain or around levels on the maps ect.