( search forums )
Learn to Lua!
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Bash Pit
Rambo_6
November 4, 2005, 2:51 am
Yesiree, I'm learning to lua.

If you don't know what it is, LUA is a programming language. Apparently, it's simplified C++.

The main reason i'm learning this is because Garry's Mod (note: you need Half Life 2 in order to get garrys' mod) has now enabled the ability to load and run LUA scripts. Which means you can do anything, from creating your own gamemodes, to editing the weapons. It's possible to do basically anything. I've already created two simple custom guns, and begun work on an exciting new gamemode which i hope to soon release.

That said, i'll be taking a good break from soldat. If anybody wants to learn to LUA with me, i'll be in IRC channels #gmod and #luahelp on Gamesurge. Heck, collaberate with me and we'll make pwnzor games....

Deleted User
November 4, 2005, 2:54 am
zomg. no really? wow. zmomg! WOW, can you post some guns or something to make this more interesting lol.

Rambo_6
November 4, 2005, 3:08 am
I can't resist :D

Note, some guns there are no pictures for. People have created kickban rifles (for admins), Teleporter guns, Freeze guns, and more.

Artillery tornado gun
[IMAGE]

Exploding buckshot
[IMAGE]

Fruit rifle xD
[IMAGE]

--Gametypes

Freezetag
[IMAGE]

Meh, there are more but i can't get screens... You get the point.

peemonkey
November 4, 2005, 3:29 am
good. post them here. i already made some sick [CENSORED] where you fire a missile, it hits the map where you point it to, and spawns 16 gascans and lights em XD still too buggy though, and [CENSORED] that community, they get no release.

Rambo_6
November 4, 2005, 4:13 am
The garrys mod community is so dog-dang nazi about their grammar. You get banned for poor grammar. And you have to take a test in order to release stuff...

The IRC channels like #luahelp, however, are better since garry doesn't run them. But #gmod is as strict as the forums.

paramud
November 4, 2005, 5:27 am
Rambo, I ran into your "Brother" on a LUA server.
Anywho, one of my favorite weapons on there is the Strategic Weapon Placement Gun (SWPG).
And I got banned from #gmod for arguing with an op ON A DIFFERENT CHANNEL.
Garry needs to learn to keep power-hungry butt munchers off his channel.

peemonkey
November 4, 2005, 5:35 am
srgp you mean? yea, that thinks rocks the cox. put 90 of em on hugeflatmap and make them invisible...keke.

Captain Ben
November 4, 2005, 5:58 am
Are there any books or websites about LUA? Perhaps even a recommended compiler?

peemonkey
November 4, 2005, 6:16 am
you dont need a compiler, though the tool i use to keep it organized is called "LuaEdit", google it and you'll find it. garry's gota wiki link for LUA specifically for gmod...cant find the link, but it shouldnt be hard to find.

Milkman Dan
November 4, 2005, 8:10 am
Oh, paramud, I saw you in the channel and told him to ban you.

vash763
November 4, 2005, 8:37 am
lawler

this stuff is pretty cool

peemonkey
November 4, 2005, 8:41 am
http://gmwiki.garry.tv/index.php/LUA
[CENSORED] editing, this is the pit.

Rambo_6
November 4, 2005, 1:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by paramudRambo, I ran into your "Brother" on a LUA server.
Anywho, one of my favorite weapons on there is the Strategic Weapon Placement Gun (SWPG).
And I got banned from #gmod for arguing with an op ON A DIFFERENT CHANNEL.
Garry needs to learn to keep power-hungry butt munchers off his channel.

Funny story, my brother told me about running into you on one of those tower build servers. Apparently he said you had erectile difficulties. xD

As for the ban, you probably shouldn't have argued to begin with. Especially with an Op. I bet it's the 'paramud vibe' you give off.

Most of those butt-munchers actually have a lot of common sense when it comes to making awesome LUA games.

peemonkey, use BLua. It's extremely easy to use, and it highlights your syntax and marks your errors. VERY easy to learn the code this way. Learning LUA without a debugger is pretty difficult.

peemonkey
November 4, 2005, 7:29 pm
nah, just use other things and look at the code and how it accomplishes what it does, and it's [CENSORED]in easy. i really like the cluster[CENSORED] missile, it's easy to rip off :D

Rambo_6
November 5, 2005, 6:14 am
That didn't do it for me. I still have to constantly check the Garrys Mod Wikipedia so i can get all the engine bindings i need.

Plus, i need to learn how to create an array so i can make an ingame timer.

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 6:18 am
ROFL erectile diffuculty
I'll be trying to learn it too.

Captain Ben
November 5, 2005, 7:08 am
Because I'm noobish:
If you learn LUA, can you use it to make games, that have nothing to do with HL2?

Rambo_6
November 5, 2005, 4:47 pm
Yea, but currently you can't use custom models other than the ones already implemented.

If you had the current version of Garrys Mod you'd have games like Melon Racer, Bird Poo, Zombie Infestation, and Fort wars. And that isn't all of them.Plus, LUA scripts are server-side, so you can join any server and end up playing any game.

LUA scripting also allows you to make games that don't even use 3d models.

[IMAGE]

paramud
November 5, 2005, 11:13 pm
quote:Originally posted by Rambo_6Apparently he said you had erectile difficulties. xD

Yeah, He'd know that....
Tell him the video was uploaded to [URL], Since I forgot to tell him.