( search forums )
Weapon Mods are Ruining our Beloved Game
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Deleted User
November 4, 2005, 10:58 pm
There have been many posts recently about the game being "stale" and complaints about 1.3 (the latest version). I have put a lot of thought into this, and I believe that Weapon Mods are the biggest problem we have right now.

If you hate Weapon mods, please sPLEASE CLICK HERE to sign the online petition to STOP WEAPON MODS.

Or, you can go here: [URL].

Thank you for listening, I know you care about our community as much as I do.

I have explained my position numeroous times before regarding weapon mods, so feel free to do a search under my name to find my entire positions. Briefly, I believe weapon mods (while maybe a good idea ON PAPER) have turned out to be a huge mistake. We only have a few good servers, and if half of them are wasted on weapon mods (and lame ones at that) then that is half of our resources wasted. Imagine the new player, who installs soldat for the first time....do you want her experience with soldat to be in a weapon modded server? We would most likely LOSE that player FOREVER. Weapon modded servers are LAME. The ONLY exception I can think of is modding to an official previous release (like 1.21). And even this I believe is a waste.

Again, I ask you, if you are sick of weapon mods...If you are tired of refreshing the server list only to be stuck in a quagmire of lame ak-47's that shoot law rockets...If you are tired of having to filter out all of the WM servers....

CLICK HERE TO SIGN THE PETITION TO END WEAPON MODS NOW!!!!!!!

Marbire
November 4, 2005, 11:10 pm
I would have to agree...... it ruins the game, I just filter out WM servers anyway.

The Geologist
November 4, 2005, 11:45 pm
I have no support for this. If you remove all weapon mods, you remove the ones that are actually good and try to refelct realism in weapons (even if those are few), in addition to removing the chance for any public experimentation like the type going on to further the weapons balance in Soldat. I'll just keep filtering out WM servers and refrain from signing.

Deleted User
November 4, 2005, 11:58 pm
No, this petition isn't going to work,
weapon mods can be really amuzing, mostly while playing agains friends
and fooling off, they also brought a very good mod which changed the gameplay of soldat.
(if you want it, use search or your clicking abilities and eyes)
No not going to work.

Kaider
November 5, 2005, 12:07 am
There is a really quick,simple,and easy solution to all of this!

If you don't like the Weapon Mods,don't join the servers.

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 12:09 am
Makes no sense..."Ill just keep filtering out mods" but not sign....Your position isn't logical. I think some different weapon options might be cool..If they are tested and balanced etc....

The reason you are filtering them out is becuase they are horrible. Try not filtering them for a couple of weeks.......If they were of any use, you wouldn't filter them...Think about it.

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 12:11 am
Kaider I agree with you.

I don't join them....What I am trying to do is think ABOUT THE BIGGER PICTURE..... The newer player who sees all of these stupid weapon mods....the vet who can't find a good server because theyres too many lame ass weapon mods...etc.....

I totally understand if you disagree, I am just trying to do what I think is best for the community....and look at the big picture.

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 12:57 am
Wow, just don't play them?

I want to be able to play 1.2.1 still.
FFS

The Geologist
November 5, 2005, 1:01 am
I'm filtering them out because most of the WM mods are crap. But by petitioning to remove all weapon mods you remove the chance for good mods to be created, so I won't sign. It makes perfect sense if you actually read it. Don't tell me to think about what I've already thought about, you're not exactly making a new point by any means.

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 1:17 am
Please name one good WM server other than the 1.21 servers

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 1:20 am
Adding an option to filter out weapon mods and not having the weapon mod filter turned on when you first install Soldat is all I ask.
Removing it would be a step backwards.

The Geologist
November 5, 2005, 1:23 am
You're missing my point. Please focus here. I'll even quote my last post.
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistBut by petitioning to remove all weapon mods you remove the chance for good mods to be created, so I won't sign.

The good mods I know of, unfortuantely, I don't see online (unless they're being played servers I'm unaware of). Two mods, one by some raven fellow and another I randomly saw online. Only two mods you say? Yes, just two, but it's much better than none. If people would put a little more effort into testing a good mod and getting it online, I'm sure this trend could be reversed.

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 2:49 am
Two mods that are good in your opnion are worth filling the lobby with utter crap? Sorry. I disagree. Besides , you can't even name them....I never even heard of your boyfriend "Raven." If they were so good surely you would know the IP....Yet you can't even remember the name....I think youve said quite enough..and helped me prove my point. Thank you.

The Geologist
November 5, 2005, 3:00 am
You wish. As has been said, it's a step backwards. You think something isn't good just because it doesn't get hosted in the lobby? Ha. And after stepping into Soldat a moment ago, I actually don't have WM servers filtered out..go figure, thought I did.

Ravens mod didn't get used because the people around here were quicker to insult him than try the mod out. It was one the the few mods I've ever seen to actually take into account the properties of the guns, especially rifles, instead of spewing tons of rockets. It's a tried and tested weapons mod, moreso than most. This is just what you want and you're so quick to brush it aside? Sounds like you don't even know what your point is. I guess it'd be below you to try and solve the problem, so you'll ruin the possibility of making better weapon mods by just removing those servers all at once. Sounded backwards from the start and it always will imo.

Edit: Give it time, I guess...if people can do it, then more power to 'em. But if not, and more time passes with empty WM servers and an unused/misused feature, then I wouldn't be opposed to removing it if it becomes painfully obvious that nothing is being done with it. But only then. I thought people still had works in progress with updated weapons mods in mind? Ah well..enough going in circles already, [CENSORED]s are more fun to play with than argue with.

vash763
November 5, 2005, 3:09 am
I'm with Geo on this one. They are a part of the game.

The insane ones can be fun, the good ones can be more fun. Those precious few that actually mean anything are worth thie alone.

One thing I've learned from this forum is that petitions don't work.

crazymonkey
November 5, 2005, 3:53 am
I find weapon mods to be entertaining, especially with HTF. If the newbies want to have fun with the game, let them. They will get over it eventually and explore the other oppurtunities of soldat.

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 4:11 am
well i made a weapon mod that makes the ruger like a bolt action rifle, so its like world war 2 ish and a tommy gun for the mp5......realistic none of the weapons shoot crap out, so i like weapon mods just nopt the [CENSORED] ones

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 5:56 am
If they arent removed from being filtered by default in the next version, then theres definetly a need to remove them...or fix them.

Regardless, all the good servers converted to these lame WM servers, crawling with ignorant newbies and morons playing a mutilated version of Soldat. Ive only seen 2=4 of like 20 WM servers that actually have a focusing weapon balance, and those are the ownage 1.2.1 servers and 1-2 other 1.2.1 servers, WHICH are filled with newbies which further ruin it.

u13 is the ONLY public ctf server that comes to mind thats actually any good, isnt laggy, and has a community. Im not sure about leos, but I dont play RS anymore. Really, these morons should be forced back into making actual servers, and reviving this damn game.

However, Geo does have a point as well. Im attempting to make an actual balance as well as others, but the only possible way to filter out the waves of newbies from flooding in, expecting some insane rocket shooting deagles is to make the thing private.

Another logical solution would be to instead of removing them in the next v, just take them out of the filter by default. o.o;

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 6:15 am
There is an ownage 1.2.1 and a regular 1.3 but it still says WM :/

Captain Ben
November 5, 2005, 7:19 am
Sometimes crazy, overpowered weapon mods are fun! THe only issues being that my ping is sometimes too high to totally enjoy them. :/

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 8:25 am
Good WM

DePhille
November 5, 2005, 9:51 am
Please don't start blaming innocent stuff for the latest Soldat-Fashion and prophet talk.
If you kill WM it'll only strengthen these more. Besides , everyone's taste differs , i don't understand the fun of a chainsaw fight or m79 fight , but i do like stuff that other people don't like and i'm not starting a petition against it.

PS: Don't go make a anti-antiWM petition lol , i can see it coming :P

Grtz , DePhille

Aquarius
November 5, 2005, 10:17 am
If there is a lot of WM servers, it means most people love to play on WM servers so STFU.
If there is few WM servers, it means it's not really a problem so STFU.

Only around 10% of servers are WM, by the way.

Whiners are funny.

Meandor
November 5, 2005, 1:32 pm
If a server puts on a WM that is crap, it means that said server lacks dedication, and wouldn't have been a good server anyway. Good connection =/= good server.
Also, there's no going back by removing WM's. *If* something is to be done about it, it should be applying a certain minimum/maximum cap for certain stats (such caps would vary for each weapon) to avoid extreme changes. Another solution, which is better but not very constructive, is to remove the info about the WM from the manual and the ini. That way only one involved server admin would bother to find out about it, and others would stop minlessly typing in numbers.

rabidhamster
November 5, 2005, 5:18 pm
^the caps would be annoying, i've made a couple good weap mods, one that turned the ak74 into a jackhammer (not a retarded jackhammer, a good one that was balanced when put against the current soldat weapons), so modding caps wouldn't let me do that.

about removing the information about weap mods form the manual, how about just changing the weapons.ini file extension, to, i don't know, .sys? the only way to edit it would be to do a right-click, open with notepad, and i assume that most retarded weap modders don't know how to do that, so it would be mildly effective.

_Mancer_
November 5, 2005, 5:27 pm
Stop whining Gheystudboy.. the WM servers are awesome when normal boring ctf gets old. Plus the WM servers are there so people can make their own version of soldat balance and how they like it. but there are also people who mess around with the settings for FUN to test the limits of soldat.

FUN, gheystudboy, FUN. Do you take this game too seriously not to [CENSORED]ing shoot 5 m79 bullets at once or to have an mp5 that shoots rambo bows? Thats fun.. Stop worrying about your score and just play. If you still don't like them, fine, don't play on them, but they arent going to be gotten rid of just because some idiot is complaining about them.

Anyone who wants the WM servers gone, but has EVER complained about balance for ANY weapon EVER in soldat is contradicting themselves.

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 7:39 pm
Leo's is another rare one that make it more enjoyable, I think.

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 9:25 pm
"Anyone who wants the WM servers gone, but has EVER complained about balance for ANY weapon EVER in soldat is contradicting themselves."

Wrong. There is nothing contradictory about not wanting weapon modded servers, and also making suggestions as to how to balance weapons. This is a fallacy of logic on your part.

I prefer a STANDARD set of weapons. That is my preference, and my opinion. There are those that disagree with me and those that agree with me. I think WM servers are lame and ruining the game. Again, some disagree , some agree.

Everything evolves, everything changes. I understand that. I think this was the wrong direction to go in....You can call me a "whiner" all you like. I knew there would be a bunch of pansy fanboys who were going to cry and act gheyer than me and get all defensive. I just felt like I should say something.

I may not be a forum wh0re with thousands of posts, but I have played a lot. There is something wrong with soldat right now in my opinion. Part of this in my opinion is WM servers. If you disagree, thats cool. It is just my opnion, and I only am made this post out of love and concern for the game. Your insults and fanboy-fhagism just show me you have no argument better than "STFU" or "WHINER." I hear no logic from you. I sense a mindless, thoughtless person. I sense someone who doesn't see the big picture.

My Ghaydar is strong, young one.

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 10:04 pm
quote:Originally posted by GheyStudBoy
If you disagree, thats cool. It is just my opnion, and I only am made this post out of love and concern for the game.

Umm, wow.
If the people like the WM, let them use the WM. If the people don't like the WM, then they don't have to use the WM.

Removing WM entirely kind of contradicts what you said.

Echo_Trail
November 5, 2005, 10:09 pm
Some mods are useless, ruining and really rather pathetic. So i tend to agree with you, but let's no forget the ones that are actually cool.. it might not be many, but few are awesome u know.. And most important, it gives a little competition to the game..
echo out

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 11:00 pm
Bulbcawk Said:

"Removing WM entirely kind of contradicts what you said."

No it doesn't. How?

Echo Said:

"And most important, it gives a little competition to the game.."

Actually for me it does the opposite. Competition means comparing skill levels or striving against someone. Someone who is "competitive" with a given weapon (HK, deagles, ruger etc..) would then also be competitive with in any server (public / more or less). For me, WM servers actually lessen the competition in the game. When I play in one, I feel like it is not really a competition...it is more like "who cares, this server is lame anyway.."

Deleted User
November 6, 2005, 12:35 am
quote:Originally posted by GheyStudBoy
If you disagree, thats cool. It is just my opnion, and I only am made this post out of love and concern for the game.

quote:Originally posted by GheyStudBoyI knew there would be a bunch of pansy fanboys who were going to cry and act gheyer than me and get all defensive.

Uhhhhhh.

UGK
November 6, 2005, 1:25 am
Petition signed! BRING DOWN WM SERVERS!

a-4-year-old
November 6, 2005, 1:55 am
just dont make every random noob who wants to do something stupid not able to open it. i hate them, i want it removed so major doesn't noob around as long as they tend to do.

quickslash
November 7, 2005, 1:44 am
Yo theres not as many weapon mod servers as regular and this petition wont help it will take a lot of players away first of all so many ppl play wm i for one hate wmods but i just dont play on the server like kaiden said so i wont sign

some_random_loser
November 7, 2005, 7:29 am
quote:Originally posted by GheyStudBoyThere have been many posts recently about the game being "stale" and complaints about 1.3 (the latest version). I have put a lot of thought into this, and I believe that Weapon Mods are the biggest problem we have right now.

If you hate Weapon mods, please sPLEASE CLICK HERE to sign the online petition to STOP WEAPON MODS.

Or, you can go here: [URL].

Thank you for listening, I know you care about our community as much as I do.

I have explained my position numeroous times before regarding weapon mods, so feel free to do a search under my name to find my entire positions. Briefly, I believe weapon mods (while maybe a good idea ON PAPER) have turned out to be a huge mistake. We only have a few good servers, and if half of them are wasted on weapon mods (and lame ones at that) then that is half of our resources wasted. Imagine the new player, who installs soldat for the first time....do you want her experience with soldat to be in a weapon modded server? We would most likely LOSE that player FOREVER. Weapon modded servers are LAME. The ONLY exception I can think of is modding to an official previous release (like 1.21). And even this I believe is a waste.

Again, I ask you, if you are sick of weapon mods...If you are tired of refreshing the server list only to be stuck in a quagmire of lame ak-47's that shoot law rockets...If you are tired of having to filter out all of the WM servers....

CLICK HERE TO SIGN THE PETITION TO END WEAPON MODS NOW!!!!!!!

Utter drivel...

Deleted User
November 7, 2005, 5:21 pm
Wow you quote my entire original post, then it must have taken you hours to come up with such a well thought out post. Did your two dads help you think of that?

Deleted User
November 7, 2005, 5:56 pm
Weapon mods are not ruining our game. I never play on Weapon-Mod servers. I don't even notice that they're around.

NavySeal
November 7, 2005, 9:37 pm
They are NEVER there for me because I filter them. There is no reason to remove them, I had fun in the start but got boring after 10min of testing stuff. Some of the server are just up for a while and so on. Those people who made mods or just want to have fun now have reason for it.

Seems like you want the beginners to join normal server so you can frag them and come to first place.

some_random_loser
November 7, 2005, 9:38 pm
quote:Originally posted by GheyStudBoyWow you quote my entire original post, then it must have taken you hours to come up with such a well thought out post. Did your two dads help you think of that?

Maybe it takes hours for you to think of a quick reply to a thread, I (having a higher IQ than that of a dead rabbit) don't have this problem.
My reply was short because frankly, you and your [CENSORED]ing aren't worth the time it takes to write a proper reply.

Deleted User
November 7, 2005, 10:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by cHuTWeapon mods are not ruining our game. I never play on Weapon-Mod servers. I don't even notice that they're around.

This is exactly what I am talking about. You never play on weapon mod servers, like the majority of the players don't. They are a waste of space and resources, which soldat doesnt have enough of.

If you had the choice for a) more weapon mod servers or b) more "standard" servers which would you choose?

Deleted User
November 7, 2005, 10:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by NavySealThey are NEVER there for me because I filter them. There is no reason to remove them, I had fun in the start but got boring after 10min of testing stuff. Some of the server are just up for a while and so on. Those people who made mods or just want to have fun now have reason for it.

Exactly my point. They are fun for about 10 minutes, then you never play them again. That IS the reason to remove them. They are wasting our resources and they make soldat look like a crappy game. Wouldn't you rather have a bunch more "standard" servers than weapon mod servers?

quote:
Seems like you want the beginners to join normal server so you can frag them and come to first place.

Hmmm. Well, I DO want beginners to join soldat! One of the biggest problems in my mind is the new player who installs soldat for the first time. They go into their first server, and it is one of those uberghey WM servers....They will instantly get a negative first impression from soldat. WM's are bad for the community. Soldat is like a brand...say "Grolsh" beer....If you start f**cking with the brand (like changing to cool grolsh bottle, or changing the flavor of the beer) you are going to cause instability and people will lose loyalty.

DOWN WITH WEAPON MODS!!!!!!

CLICK HERE TO VOTE TO END WEAPON MODS!!! JOIN THE GROWING MOVEMENT

Marine
November 7, 2005, 11:32 pm
quote:Originally posted by AquariusIf there is a lot of WM servers, it means most people love to play on WM servers so STFU.

No, it doesn't.

Anyway, I used to be dead set against WM servers - I thought it would totally ruin Soldat. However, after this was implemented, I found there were still a good amount of servers with normal weapon stats. Though there were a lot of screwed up servers as well, some weapon MOD servers gave an interesting new mix/variety to Soldat.

I wouldn't go as far to say the game is ruined...

Deleted User
November 8, 2005, 1:02 am
your right marine, of course.

Soldat isn't ruined...Its still a great game. I just they are "ruining" the game (WM'S)....Slowly but surely.

.Loki
November 8, 2005, 2:15 am
WM's themselves aren't necessarily ruining soldat.

However, the fact that you start out with the WM filter checked deters many players. Hell, when I first downloaded 1.3 I quit playing. All the weapon mods sucked ass, and as far as I knew at the time, they were the only servers around. Then someone told me I had to uncheck the filter and everything was fine...almost.

Main point - if a dedicated soldat player like myself quits within the first hour of playing 1.3, what the hell are all the first-time newbies going to do?

Additionally, no one plays the regular servers anymore, and I'm assuming this is largely due to the above mentioned problem. I mean, host a non-(WM) server and see how many people try to join within the first hour. Maybe a couple, but rarely more than that unless you get lucky. Then host a (WM) server and watch the players come POURING in.

And a lot of the people joining WM servers ask what the hell is wrong with the weapons after they do, indicating that this whole WM-filter-by-default thing brought them there.

I dunno. Weapon mods themselves aren't horrible, but you definitely shouldn't have the filter checked at startup.

Marine
November 8, 2005, 3:02 am
quote:Originally posted by .Loki
Additionally, no one plays the regular servers anymore, and I'm assuming this is largely due to the above mentioned problem.

Really? Are you sure about that?

What we need to do, is get that Flecko zombie server back up ;)

Deleted User
November 8, 2005, 1:02 pm
I must agree with GheyStudBoy.
Also, WM is just one of many downgrades in 1.3
I have been playing Soldat for 2-3 years till now but maybe its time to qiut now. As i remeber, 1.2.1 was best version till now witch brought many many great features, network code was better than ever and so on.
I say, Michal, you did a great game (one of my favourite) but now its time to unpack your 1.2.1 from backup and make 1.2.2 ;)

.Loki
November 8, 2005, 6:44 pm
quote:What we need to do, is get that Flecko zombie server back up ;)

God I hope you're kidding.

Deleted User
November 8, 2005, 11:58 pm
Weapon mods are ways of making people have control of soldat, and improve it. They are often BETER THAN THE ORIGINAL!!! Also, alot are very cool.

What the [CENSORED] is wrong with you?

DeLarge
November 9, 2005, 12:41 am
Only 18 signatures currently? Nobody gives a cal on internet petitions.

Deleted User
November 9, 2005, 7:08 am
quote:Originally posted by DeLargeOnly 18 signatures currently? Nobody gives a cal on internet petitions.

I don't understand what you mean. We all have signitures, just not all image ones. I would if they would alow this
[IMAGE]

DeLarge
November 9, 2005, 8:49 am
Get your brain tuned right! There are 18 signatures in the PETITION.

Deleted User
November 9, 2005, 11:31 pm
????

Marine
November 10, 2005, 12:33 am
quote:Originally posted by DezonusWeapon mods are ways of making people have control of soldat, and improve it. They are often BETER THAN THE ORIGINAL!!! Also, alot are very cool.

What the [CENSORED] is wrong with you?

No, no...the question is, what the [CENSORED] is wrong with you?

Deleted User
November 10, 2005, 3:10 am
18 signitures in a few days.....Dude..how many people do you think read this forum? If I wanted to spam it out and fake a bunch of signitures, it would be simple. Those signitures came from people who read it here on this forum, as it is the only place I have ever put the link. Also it has only been a week or so. Its not like this is a huge community. What a tard.

DeLarge
November 10, 2005, 6:24 am
quote:Originally posted by GheyStudBoyWhat a tard.

If you're talking about me, then watch yourself. Stooge.

.Loki
November 10, 2005, 8:12 am
Yes DeLarge. Because you're the smartest person I've ever seen on the net.

No really. I'm being serious...

What's sarcasm?

Deleted User
November 11, 2005, 10:58 am
LOLLLLL
watch yourself GheyStudBoy, DeLarge has got a baseball bat!!!

yes, and about signatures
well, there is lots of kids around here and to make a signature, its not so simple, so...

Bugs Revenge
November 11, 2005, 7:59 pm
**Didn't read all the post, just the original one but I gotta say something**

I totaly agree with you, I guess too many newbi who've just started playing the game saw "wm" version while having no idea what does that means and got into it..

and then they just taught "omg, what's that lame game, I don't wanna take part in this game"..

anyway, yeah, there are some good weapon mods unfotunatly, so I guess there should be an option to make the server only with the OFFICIAL weapon mods, that could be better for the newbis and for the 'vets'.

Deleted User
November 11, 2005, 9:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by DuhLarge
If you're talking about me, then watch yourself. Stooge.

Ohz Noez. You just made all the hairs on my man nipples stand up in fear. I guess you'll be mad at me if I post this picture of you I found on the internet:

[IMAGE]

And youll probably be very upset with me if I provide THIS LINK CONTAINING INFORMATION ABOUT YOUfor everyone to see.

In any case, I think we should get back to the topic at hand. Weapon mods are BAD FOR THIS GAME. And the stupid ramblings of Delarge are just one more confirmation to me that I am correct.

Bugs Revenge
November 11, 2005, 9:36 pm
oh lock this topic already :\