( search forums )
Requiem for a [img]http://typ356.de/c.gif[/img]
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
DeMonIc
November 5, 2005, 8:25 pm
My attention-whoring goodbye post. Posted in the lounge, hope Kaz doesn't mind, and hope it'll stay clean.

It all started on a fine spring afternoon, when my friend came over and showed me a website, from where I've downloaded this 2D game, called Soldat 1.2.0.. and I got addicted. Soon after, I was playing realistic mode only, and met two very nice guys fins, Deeptwo and Eye-of-Terror (both are WoW addicts now if I recon right.. dang shame), and in a few months time, I joined the Soldat Forums...

..as a horrible prick. Spammed my way up to a post count around 300 very fast, with nothing constructive to say. It was around the time that I've stopped playing Realistic, downloaded the Mapmaker and joined #soldat.forums@quakenet when I slowed down. A few months of doing nothing usefull but playing in the c'n's/BA-SaD private servers, improving my mapping abilities and meeting new people like Knot (whom I looked up to as a Soldat player for a long time) and Urhos, I was surprised as the Beta testing forums were wide open for me to access (thank you n00bface for suggesting me and others for supporting). Slowly I gained understanding of Soldat as the beta tests commenced, and came to realise the aspects of what we call 'Unbalanced Weapons'. However at this time the balance was uninportant, because Michal introduced Bink, which was a 'Just add water' cure for all Weapon balance related problems... or so we thought.

During 1.2.1, the version of Auto Crisis, I've joined the infamous ::NbK::, and met the realIRC community. The beloved private servers were long gone, so #Soldat.Gather was the saviour of many Soldat players, including me. The last refugee from the newbie flooded publics, the Citadell of nice players, and the nest of the community. A few months passed, and I've came across many interesting players, while NbK became the clan which awaited the better days, The Perfect Balance, TNL3 to become active and warmonging. During this period I've became quite skillfull with the mapmaker, and made my breaktrough map, ctf_mare. Altough the map was never played in public games because of its size, it highlighted me in the mapping spot (or so I feel).

As time passed, (SEC finals were over, Hungary ended up second.. from the end of the list) 1.3's beta tests were approaching, we could feel it in our bones: the ESL mapping contest was the final signal, /ctf_marage/ and the beta tests soon began. This time around we concentrated on the weapon balance with full power, we wasted no time and effort into creating a better tomorrow for Soldat players worldwide. Meanwhile Soldat Radio had just kicked off, and I've come closer to Chakra and met my favourite pole, Witcher, and that nice french dude whom no one understands, Ouchek( :{D ). At this same time the 3rd Soldat.hu meeting happened, we camped in a forest and got drunk, badly.

Then D-day came.. 1.3 was released. A big, two ton heavy stone fell of my heart, as I've felt that we finally triumphed, and there was no ground for whining at all. Naturally I was struck-down by the amount of flaming and whining we got from the general public regarding the new version, so I was disappointed. Things weren't alright around the NbK household either: for a very stupid reason (I wanted to lead my own clan, so I created one.. it died after a few days and no wars at all) I left the clan, but Skoskav took me back without a word from either of us. My relationship with the clan leader Jaz became worse and worse, and after he kicked Chakra out (who had joined simply because he's the most sinister brit ever to walk the face of this planet) I told him I'm leaving. His final words were: "Fine, I don't need you". I left, and NbK died the next day, many Soldat player's open a bottle of champaign for the event. Meanwhile I've released more and more maps, growing myself into a known mapper in the community.

TNL3 started soon after, and I've joined the historical clan, BA, to fight within their ranks for the victory. (Note: ironic that NbK died at the door of what we've been waiting for.. TNL3) Overestimating my skills, we lost almost each clan war in BA, Zieg, alias TeenSpirit left for university, and after a rather inactive period the clan fell apart: noseeeh, the only israeli I've ever came to know from closer (and got to like..) left the clan, and I did the same, leaving my pal Liber Lupus behind with Cold_Fusion. Yet another stale period came for me, spent with making a few maps and chatting around with Pienne, Frogboy, Evil-Ville, Funktopus, Sticky, Melba and Amblin in #soldat.forums.

I've turned to the last place where I could find peace: the Hungarian community. The national team got revived, and we started building up for SEC2..

..and now we've reached today: the era of Public Balance testing. Had a lot of discussions with my fellow soldats lately, and frankly, I'm fed up with it all. People have different opinions, different views, different favourite weapons they don't want to change, and I can't change a damn thing for the better. As you can see, I've spent way too much time on this game, and it's growing on me. Have tried hard, but alas I failed, and don't want to ruin this game any more. This is my good bye, and this post was written for the people who would like to know if I leave it all behind, or are just curious of the career retrospect of a Soldat player. The mapping contest won't close, I'll stay for running a few rounds, but after that, it's sayonara. Was fun, and good night.

n00bface
November 5, 2005, 9:46 pm
1st

bye lol

ur still on irc

MisterX
November 5, 2005, 9:56 pm
Well, I said it all on IRC already, so just... Good Bye :|

Denacke
November 5, 2005, 10:01 pm
See ya

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 10:08 pm
Although i don?t know you as well as the others above,

Cya

It was interesting to hear that Soldat Vet history, especially as I?m a relatively new-ish player.

quote:Originally posted by DeMonIc..and now we've reached today: the era of Public Balance testing. Had a lot of discussions with my fellow soldats lately, and frankly, I'm fed up with it all. People have different opinions, different views, different favourite weapons they don't want to change, and I can't change a damn thing for the better.

[IMAGE]

"don't nerf it!"

"Nerf it!"

"give the barret this!"

"Give the barret that!"

"Turn the Minimi into a Steyr!"

I understand that can be a bit tiring.

Cookie.
November 5, 2005, 10:16 pm
quote:Originally posted by SDFilmAlthough i don?t know you as well as the others above,

Cya

It was interesting to hear that Soldat Vet history, especially as I?m a relatively new-ish player.

He is not teh vet :o

Sadly, 1580 Posts later you havn't made an impression on me :\

The Geologist
November 5, 2005, 10:33 pm
Foobar and pickles. You can't go :(

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 10:40 pm
he will come back there always come back there need there fix

Deleted User
November 5, 2005, 11:01 pm
is he actually leaving or is his spamming leaving?

papasurf31
November 5, 2005, 11:47 pm
I had you or Geologist pegged as the next mapping forum mod. Guess this is goodbye then.

vash763
November 6, 2005, 12:01 am
I don't really know you much, but then again I'm pretty damn new. Good Bye.

m00`
November 6, 2005, 12:02 am
bye demonic :(

Deleted User
November 6, 2005, 12:32 am
aww i was gonna use you in a...project of mine, fine leave me, :P

LazehBoi
November 6, 2005, 12:40 am
I won't forget you. Ever. Goodbye, Demonic.

N1nj@
November 6, 2005, 2:08 am
Now we have no one to blame when the next verion comes out =(

good bye

Captain Ben
November 6, 2005, 2:13 am
:( Does that mean I can steal your avatar? Mine's awfully daft.
Byes!

STEELIX
November 6, 2005, 2:38 am
Er. In one sentence: You're leaving?

But... why? You can't seriously expect me to dig through that rant, mate! You'll be back, anyway. As if someone as addicted as you would ever leave. Ppff. Hah!

You don't need to take it all on yourself, get back down to earth, lad! ;) You could also consider not doing so much, and still being active... There's a wiiide area between what you used to do and "leaving".

Michal
November 6, 2005, 4:54 am
Goodbye, I guess.
Hmmm I never noticed that you came to these forums after me, it seemed like you were always around (in a good way ;])
It's not good to lose someone who contributed a lot to the community, you'll be missed.

Kazuki
November 6, 2005, 5:12 am
Demonic, no! =| I realize that you're not happy with the way the public responds with anything you do, but maybe putting yourself in such an important position isn't the best choice if that's the case. It happens in the world itself, so getting away from it here won't really help.

I'd really like you to hang around with the rest of us in the IRC channels. You don't have to put yourself in important positions if it doesn't satisfy you, but leaving us is just a sad event. :(

Vijchtidoodah
November 6, 2005, 5:16 am
:(

Demonic, I haven't even had much of a chance to talk to you lately...

Chakra`
November 6, 2005, 5:26 am

Much like the real world, people can be very disheartening. Consequently we turn to like minded people, cultures and genres; A place we see we can fit into and take comfort in.
Soldat however doesn't have many havens like that, it being just one big long UN-style arguement between various masses instead of a civil place orientated around a simple game, and understandably soul-destroying to anyone who has put as much good in Soldat as yourself.

You'll be one of the few that are actually missed, guv.

Deleted User
November 6, 2005, 5:43 am
i wub woo :'(

mar77a
November 6, 2005, 5:47 am
Oh noes, well, remember me as teh guy who waypointed some of your maps :')

grand_diablo
November 6, 2005, 1:01 pm
NAAAH
Another one leaving the "light side" :(
Maybe it would help if you cared less about the opinion of those who seem to be stamped into one single place and don't bother moving even a single milimetre away from their point of view. This is what saved me from retiring a few month's ago ;)

But if this is your final decision, I wish you good luck for whatever youre going to do in your future.

Alamo
November 6, 2005, 3:42 pm
Bie Demonic :'(

Yukwunhang
November 6, 2005, 4:55 pm
Dunno why, but I actually cried.

STEELIX
November 6, 2005, 5:56 pm
I think it's a heap of bull[CENSORED], really.

b00stA
November 6, 2005, 7:04 pm
Bye Demonics.

The really sad thing is, that you're not some attention [CENSORED] that will come back in a week anyway :(

Deleted User
November 6, 2005, 8:43 pm
Bye,
alltough i have a felling we'll meet on the publics yet again.

DePhille
November 6, 2005, 10:12 pm
This 1.3 version really starts to take it's toll and cause players to leave.
I see this as an opportunity to show what the Soldat community is capable of.
I would advice you to think about it more and just abandon Soldat for a few weeks , you'll see how fun it is to be in here. Ofcourse i don't know if you've done that or not and i respect your choice.

I don't say goodbye but i say cya later. I've seen your posts and i don't know why you would leave.

Grtz , DePhille

karmazon
November 7, 2005, 3:21 pm
your post is too long

_Mancer_
November 8, 2005, 2:39 am
See you tommorow.

Melba
November 8, 2005, 4:57 pm
Cherio :(

Deleted User
November 8, 2005, 7:46 pm
I enjoyed the few games we had whilst beta testing. It's sad to see the few intelligent people around here that I could get on with are leaving now...I guess its just time for a new era of the community.

Silent Soldier
November 8, 2005, 8:24 pm
Ha. Ha. :>

Elephant_Hunter
November 8, 2005, 10:20 pm
f*ing attention [CENSORED] >:(

Joking aside... you can't go. I don't really know you too well Demonic (except for a few arguments you might not remember), but what I do know is that very few people get such an immediate nice response. Reading your post and the replies to this I can easily see that you're an inspiration to the community.

You're a smart guy and probably realize that changes don't happen immediately. Being nice to folks is like investing money. You'll eventually get it all back double of what you put in. If you leave now, what was the worth of investing? Making friends? Putting out a public image? Was it only a game, or were you expecting something more? Funny enough, I could imagine all you dedicated veteran euros getting together and talking about old times over a cold beer.

But if you must leave, I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors.

Deleted User
November 9, 2005, 12:11 am
When me, the guy who never really knew you or anything, is going to miss ya, it's probably safe to say that most all of us will.

It seems you've learned a tough lesson, and through the tough way; you definitely need time away from the game to think about things, at the least. I've been on a bit of a respite myself from a game called Thule, although not for the same reasons.

Best of luck to ya with whatever endeavor you may persue in the future.