( search forums )
ctf map idea
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
OutofOrder
November 6, 2005, 6:19 am
I bet someone else has had to think/do something like this, but i haven't seen it yet, and the forum search feature doesnt seem to be working for me. If not, i hope someone can get to do this.

The idea is a simmetric-like ctf map. The final look would be something like this (this is one half of the map):

[IMAGE]

References:
S -> spawn
F -> flag
a ramp is a ramp :P
GUN -> stationary gun

First of all, jet fuel setting is little to none.
Each side of the map is like a fort, which has to be invaded by running along and up the ramps. The image i submitted is for the main idea, i think the ramps should be relatively quite longer, and/or with higher angle.
The smallest ramp (it's also the lowest one) shouldn't allow a player to get to the enemy fort. That way, players can use it only to invade (adding some strategy value: should we defend this weak point more?).
The ramp above the small one should be long/high enough to barely get to the enemy's lowest one. But not any further.
The highest ramp (not the roof) should let a player get to the enemy's middle ramp, not any further.
The top of the fort is just like the start for Red team in inf_bobsled (i guess you know that map!). I was actually inspired by that map for this. I think you could make from there to anywhere in the enemy's fort, because sliding would be quite powerful.
The inner part of each fort (the "guts" of each fort) may not be simmetrical (steps, spawning places, jumping polys). But the flag sites should stay at the same place.
The blue parts in the posted image would be like hidden tunnels, where players can sit and fire at incoming enemies. One shouldn't be able to get out from those sections to the middle part of the map (that is, these tunnels should not work as ramps).
The length of the deadly pit should be long enough to provoke the jumping player some doubt about the speed they are reaching to make the jump :) .
The height of every ramp tunnel should not be high. Otherwise, defending incoming forces could get too hard. So, the drawing i posted is wrong in relative tunnel heights.

This could also work for an infiltration map. The explained-above half of the map would be for red team spawning. The other half of the map (blue team's fort) would have different cave-like entrances, and maybe only one ramp to invade the attackers.

Well, I think that's it. I hope someone to make this map. Bonuses, medikits, grenades... all of the maker's choice. Am i forgetting some detail needed for it to be done?
I would do this myself if i already had experience in map making. But i like the idea for this map, so i would like some skilled map maker to make this the right way :D

Edit: the theme of this map would be of the maker's choice too!

Deleted User
November 6, 2005, 6:28 am
is this section turning into a please make my map section, another idea is to have ice jumps

OutofOrder
November 6, 2005, 6:18 pm
well, after making my first map and noticing this aint THAT hard, i may end making this map after all. but it won't have the leet look i would otherwise expect :P

EDIT: i am indeed into this. and it's going good so far. i believe this will work out quite well (hopefully, i need some luck too!). i got already one half of the map. the ramps are working how i wanted.