( search forums )
Second Jet
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Yuth
November 6, 2005, 8:00 am
Second Jet...

By double clicking Jet.

A Jet which gives you a quick thrust.
Even in air, you bounce in the direction you aim.
(Would make it possible to dodge a quick attempt)

Would add a lot of fun to the game play.
Don't you think?

And by double clicking the Jet, you can do flips.

(Aiming to the right)
Down + Right + Double Jet = Right frontflip.
Down + Left + Double Jet = Left backflip.

Deleted User
November 9, 2005, 4:57 pm
I think this would be cool, if it only gave you a quick boost and not a full jet.

Deleted User
November 9, 2005, 7:42 pm
This idea's got potential.

numgun
November 9, 2005, 7:58 pm
a rocket boost! this is idea is so thumbs up!!!!1
double click on the jet and u... well... bounce off (in mid air too) and it will take
only 1/3 of ur jet fuel (from standard fuel amount)
and after u have done the boost ur jets will restore in a 0,5-1 secs
and u can either boost again or fly normally!

and yuth, i really <3 luv ya if this will be implemented!

Deleted User
November 9, 2005, 8:08 pm
I like it, but only if it uses up all or most of your jet fuel when you do it, otherwise it would be abused.

Yuth
November 9, 2005, 10:11 pm
Yeah, (1/3) of the Jet fuel will be used in a double click.
(That's exactly what I was thinking of)

I'd rather say Soldat is getting boring, and this would get Soldat even more players than there usually is.

Just imagine you do a backflip and when someone is about to shoot you while you're still in the air, you quickly dodge the shot.

(I imagine a fade of the player as this quickly thurst attempts)

It would be really cool and enjoyable.
I suggest he should at least try it and see how successful it gets.

Kaider
November 9, 2005, 10:27 pm
I like this idea, even more manueverability for your Soldat :D

Yuth
November 9, 2005, 10:29 pm
tquote:Originally posted by YuthSecond Jet...

By double clicking Jet.

A Jet which gives you a quick thrust.
Even in air, you bounce in the direction you aim.
(Would make it possible to dodge a quick attempt)

Would add a lot of fun to the game play.
Don't you think?

And by double clicking the Jet, you can do flips.

(Aiming to the right)
Down + Right + Double Jet = Right frontflip.
Down + Left + Double Jet = Left backflip.
Just want to straighten my thoughts.

(Double click Jet = Quick thurst to the direction you aim)
(Double click Jet + Down arrow = Flip in aimed direction)

.Loki
November 10, 2005, 12:12 am
allready suggested, but whatever.

Fine by me, but the boost shouldn't be based on percentage.

On ultra-high jet fuel maps, it would be useless.
On ultra-low jet fuel maps, it would be too powerful.

Just make it a fixed amount that is impractical for getting to high places - but good for dodging.

Marine
November 10, 2005, 12:37 am
I don't think "double jet" is a good idea, but definitely an option to, say, double click jet button real fast, and it will drain all your fuel but send you shooting up very quickly. I like it!

Deleted User
November 10, 2005, 1:20 am
quote:Originally posted by YoMammasMammaThis idea's got potential.

a-4-year-old
November 10, 2005, 2:48 pm
[noob1] omg haX0r s33d hax!
[a-4-year-old]*sigh* again!
[major]pwned
[noob2]omg geh!
[noob1]overpowered dubblejet!
[a-4-year-old]oh stfu and rtfm

i love it but jet should last like half the time it does now.

Deleted User
November 10, 2005, 4:17 pm
It might help too if it was server optional, if it is possible.

numgun
November 11, 2005, 4:19 pm
man, when this will be implemented im gonna have 2X fun in prone fly-knife stabing...
just boost and SLASH!

- Tek -
November 12, 2005, 8:10 am
This idea would render air prone useless for dodging!

Close Combat
November 12, 2005, 1:47 pm
IF u gave someone like me this advantage the most skilled players will be those who mini surf.

Imagine it

a surfer who can maneuver himself any which way in the air. the only people who take surfers out is barretsons, and M79 rapists. Pistol poppers ,Bush boys(automatic users) , and shot gunners will stand no chance against the MINI gun. yes i said it.

but only a chosen few knows who to mini-surf. its quite easy. if u see me in a game i'll show U.

HAIL THE SECOND JET. PWNAGE will be inevitable!

Koon
November 12, 2005, 5:00 pm
It should instantly drain all jet you have remaining and use it to send you in whatever direction you choose, this would keep people from doing it multiple times.

Captain Ben
November 13, 2005, 4:59 am
Plus bink you like a rabid prostitute on fire.

CottonTheMoth
November 14, 2005, 3:07 pm
What about maps where you have to rapidly click the jets to get farther, such as training maps..this would really suck for the creators and ruin their maps. *rapidly clicks jets and goes flying into a spike ceiling* XD

Echo_Trail
November 14, 2005, 7:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by MuffinI like it, but only if it uses up all or most of your jet fuel when you do it, otherwise it would be abused.

i agree with Muffin.! i like this idea..
in some cases soldat is kinda like a run-kill-run-die game.. like the rolling-and-dodge suggestion i think that any dodging ability is great! within reasonable limits that is!
echo out

Tybs
November 15, 2005, 8:42 am
I like the idea, but i think it would be wise to have a minimum fuel required... otherwise u can just use 5/6 of ur fuel for normal jetpack first, and when ur almost empty, u quickly use the DJ (=double-yet :D).

quote:Originally posted by numgunand after u have done the boost ur jets will restore in a 0,5-1 secs

I think numgun mentioned something important here... after u used the DJ, there should be a short time u cant use any kind of jetpack anymore.

numgun
November 15, 2005, 9:53 am
exactly, otherwise it wouldnt be ''fair''.

y0da
November 15, 2005, 1:12 pm
another way to make it harder to kill? i would say no.

Close Combat
November 15, 2005, 5:22 pm
YEA MASTA YODA IS A BANTA- POODOO!

Lolly
November 15, 2005, 7:47 pm
;__; *Happy tears*

A chainsaw-lunge!

vash763
November 15, 2005, 8:05 pm
im not ahuge fan of this idea, makes the game feel to arcadish

ray
November 19, 2005, 11:31 am
This is my idia :) I think about it first time i see Soldat. So i countenance this idia. It is very natural. The way we move (fly) in Soldat today is just one from the several possible.
To turn one way we fly to another must decrease/increase aiming posibility and posibility of monuver. So me rich balance.

But we duble klik is not the good way. It must be independent button for alternative means of fly. I have 3 button. So i can have two jet button and one fire on mouse. If we use dubble klik we can not fly - we alwais do the dubble tripple quadro klik to fly around in old way, so how hall we will fly if dubble klik starts the switching over second fly means ?
It will be the hall for gameplay. Only independent button for the second jet, to fly in the direction we aim.

Off corse will be a choice in wich direction second jet is actualy(exactly) directed in - in "+" or in "-" ("from" or "on" the crosschear).

Tybs
November 19, 2005, 3:04 pm
Actually, the idea was to not being able to fly for a short time after using the boost... so i think its better to use doubleclick. I use my third mouse button for something else already, and i dont like my "system" of keys getting messed up :P

Alamo
November 19, 2005, 3:30 pm
This ideas has a lot of potential. It would make Soldat cooler, it would give you more maneuverability and the chainsaw would be a lot of fun. :) Thumbs up.

y0da
November 19, 2005, 8:13 pm
if you want to have fun during play of Soldat, just do something with the weapons settings!

Tybs
November 21, 2005, 1:47 pm
Are u saying u cant have any fun by just playing with the normal settings? :P

Raptor
November 21, 2005, 4:42 pm
In a pretty log time of reading suggestions for improvements, this is the best one I've ever read! :D

Deleted User
November 22, 2005, 12:50 am
I would like to state my full approval of this idea as well.

The @venger
November 22, 2005, 6:40 pm
i think this should use up almost all of your jet fuel, so you only could do it once without regaining. other than that, i like this idea, it would be easier to get in cover.

ray
November 25, 2005, 10:15 pm
2Tybs

The Dubble klick can not be usable becose if it will be realised we can not be able to fly in old way. Why:

In "Unreal" there is one ugly stuf colled Dodgying. When you push dubble strafe you jump in towards smb. (in right or left ditection) So if you push strafe twice quikcly, the game interpret this as dubble push and jumped when you did not ask. I always fall in lava by this cause. In Soldat this misunderstanding will show up himsalf in every second, becose we allways push fly button and very frequently and in quickly way. So we MUST think out something else. Binding the second fly function on keyboard is not acceptably, this kind of action(like a fly or fire), must be used by mouse key button only(!) to make it usable at all.

So the only way to turne the secon fly button acceptably is to introduce the switch button on the keyboard, wich turned fly means from one jet to another (over and back).

tomz26
November 25, 2005, 10:40 pm
I like it very nice.

diediedie119
November 26, 2005, 9:30 am
hey guys i got a good idea(SRY havent posted for a year busy with school tests)

the DJ wud use 9/10 of jet and i got several key suggestions
1st: v(cause its close 2 the 'wasd' keys)
2nd:3rd mouse button or scroll mouse button(press it down)(cause its near jet button, though u may mix it up LOL)
last but not least: "Shift"(again near "wasd" kays)

LUUUUV THE IDEA

Tybs
November 26, 2005, 11:38 am
@ray

Good thinking there... must admit i knew the problem with UT already, only i didnt think of it while dreaming on about the dodge possibility. Now that u mention it, i often use jet-clicking myself... when im out of fuel for example, but almost reached the place i want to be, so it gives me the last few, short boosts that i need to get on top.

Well, guess we have to think of some other button then. Shift wont work for me, i set that on grenades already... in fact, all easy-to-reach buttons have a function in soldat already :(. I have WASD for moving around, Q for switching weapons, E for reload (didnt like R because i had to move my finger further away :P), space for toss weapon, left mouse for shooting, right mouse for jetting, middlemouse for going prone (easier than having to move my left-middlefinger down). On the new pc, i luckily have a mouse button #4... guess ill use that, but on the other pc's... well, maybe x then, for i wont use my middlefinger while jetting.

Ah well, im sure we will think of something :)

ray
November 26, 2005, 8:52 pm
When i use prone i allways misunderstand the actualy event - do i "prone" in game or the button was did not turne the ptone "ON".
The bast way is to make Prone a momentary button. Push down button - pron is ON, let off button - pron is off.

So in second jet it is the bast way. On keyboard switching button must be like "Mouselook", or "Run" button in Quake. Keyboard Button pushed - the second jet binded on right mouse button, keyboard button let off - on right button is the first means jet.
So we will use mouse button for both jet.

We must have the right to choose. Use a Switching button on keyboard or use the especial separate mouse button for second jet.

Yuth
November 26, 2005, 11:42 pm
Yeah, should probably add a bind in the game.
But I suggest using Shift button as the second jet.

The reason why I recommend the Shift button is because that's where my pinky lies. *Smiles*

So in game I would just press it downwards and I thrust away.
But bind would be helpful, there will probably be many other things added to Soldat changing the gameplay.

So bind would be helpful for further use of movements.

Tybs
November 27, 2005, 4:52 pm
But i always use shift for grenades already... i wouldnt like to have shift button for boost :(. Although it probably will be possible to customize the button anyway.