( search forums )
How many people will my server be able to handle?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Server Help
Artea
February 24, 2003, 12:13 pm
Recently I set up a server for 8 players, but when it was full it was really laggy for some people. My upload is 12.6 kilobytes per second upstream and 80 kb/s downstream (broadband) How many peeps should my server be able to handle?

DNA.styx
February 24, 2003, 12:18 pm
Have a look at Exile's server post, it's the closest that anyone has come to working out what you're asking.

Exile
February 25, 2003, 3:48 am
" it was really laggy for some people"

That is the key phrase. If it was laggy for ALL the players, then there is a problem with the server hardware or your bandwidth. But if it is only some, then the #1 reason is network conectivity.

Not all of the players are going to have smooth conections to your servers. Come play on mine and YOU will see lag even though I have a dedicated machine running soldat and a more than modest conection.

The first thing you ask someone who is crying about lag is for them to do a trace route. several in fact.

Ask them to open a DOS box and type in tracert xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (your ip #). Then if you see the ugly little * anywhere, then they have a problem getting to your server. If you really care that that player has a good conection, then it is time to call your ISP and bypass the people who tell you to open my computer, etc.

A 12.6 Kbps upload should be able to handle an 8 player server as long as you have nothing else using bandwidth.

- do NOT register in the lobby. pings from ase and the lobby will eat b/w.
- do not check your e-mail
- do not run a kazaa server!
etc

Exile
February 25, 2003, 4:06 am
oops. Sorry, I had a few beers tonight and screwed up in the answer above.

You obviously have a broadband conection of some type. Do NOT call your ISP since running servers of any kind is illegal on a broadband conection. Letting your ISP know that you have a server may end by you losing your conection.

Your answer to anyone crying about lag is, "go find another server"

toadsMoke
February 25, 2003, 5:28 am
ya, i actually notice a problem with kazaa. any time i play an online game with kazaa running i always lag out. close kazaa before you start playing. it oddly sucks up more bandwidth than it says it does.