( search forums )
inf_Geronimo
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
OutofOrder
November 6, 2005, 6:13 pm
My very first map! I think Jeronimo is written with a J, not a G... anyway, a cookie for the one who guesses the reason for the title! :P

Old screenshot (map has been updated after):
Edited to a link, it was simply TOO long (grand_diablo)
http://www.soldat-lra.net/uploads/files/inf_jeronimo.jpg

Updated Map file

Well, the map's a loong (and tight) fall for the red team to get the flag, placed on top, to the very bottom. I think there are already maps like this, tho i can't remember. I'm just trying out map making.
I tried to balance the map not to be too easy for red to score (maybe those efforts turned it too tough). I'm afraid i can't test it with enough players because my connection isn't as fast as i need.
Also my first idea was to make an interesting map for realistic mode... but i think i've failed. :s
I used scenery found in other maps included with Soldat. I'm not sure if that's right, or if i should make my own scenery.
Anyway, I'd like to see what do you think about it. It has no waypoints, so if you're going to try it, don't add bots (although blue bot team seems not to defend too bad without them). I don't think i'll add any waypoints, since i don't really want to learn that stuff.
So i think this turns the map to a beta stage.
Hope you like it! :D

Edit: update!

Deleted User
November 6, 2005, 10:13 pm
Interesting...
But change the middle part.

Keron Cyst
November 6, 2005, 10:44 pm
Actually, it is a 'g' :-P Use transparency and stretching for the clouds. Make the BG colors more... neutral. They stand out too much.

OutofOrder
November 6, 2005, 10:59 pm
thanks for the replies!
quote:Originally posted by Sgt. BeaverInteresting...
But change the middle part.

You mean the part with those dark polygons, right? The idea was to provide camouflage for red team in the middle, but it certainly didn't work as i wanted. I think i should either remove that whole, or work much more on its look.
quote:Originally posted by Keron Cyst Actually, it is a 'g' :-P

Damn! Gotta rename the file name -.- Still, you haven't earned a cookie yet ;D
quote:Originally posted by Keron Cyst Use transparency and stretching for the clouds. Make the BG colors more... neutral. They stand out too much.

I didn't know about transparency until i found about it in a thread over here, today ^_^ i will change the clouds and probably add more scenery.
About the colors, i don't know what to say :0 I think i'm going to wait further replies.. . :P

ppiksmada
November 7, 2005, 2:34 am
I really don't know what to say... looks like fun though

.Loki
November 7, 2005, 2:58 am
Maybe you should switch around alpha and bravo teams around. It looks too easy for Bravo. It would take alpha a long time to get to the top, during which bravo earns points. Additionally, bravo has an overhead advantage over alpha, meaning it will take them even longer to get to the flag.

Haart
November 7, 2005, 12:40 pm
teams are fine where they are - if bravo is at bottom, they'll just line up 6 or so barrets and fire upwards regularily, and add a few miniguns in and red team won't make it down alive...

.Loki
November 7, 2005, 4:25 pm
lol, and they aren't going to do that on top? If bravo sprays bullets from the bottom, they won't make it to the top. How they are now, they could have their entire team floating around minisurfing at the top of the map, shooting downwards.

Haart
November 7, 2005, 5:06 pm
I imagine that it's harder for a barrett-wielder to aim directly down while using jet (since they can't shoot through the floor), than to merely stand on the ground and aim up.

To eliminate "minisurfing" (nice word, ;P), just make the very top of the map deadly polygons, so it they use mini downwards, they'll be propelled upwards and meet quick doom.

perhaps Bravo should spawn in the middle????

OutofOrder
November 8, 2005, 12:43 pm
Thanks for the replies.
I've updated the map file:
http://www.soldat-lra.net/uploads/files/inf_geronimo.zip

Major changes: more thickness of many walls and platforms, and i've indeed taken the middle dark polys out. Also i had forgotten about placing any colliders!! That bunker was quite useless xD
I've improved some bit on how the scenery looks. And added some more. I made almost every edge less angular too. And some clouds can also be hiding spots! >:D
Background colors changed: now the map's got a different afternoon look, and it's also a symbolic transition between alpha's territory to bravo's. :P
quote:Originally posted by .LokiMaybe you should switch around alpha and bravo teams around. It looks too easy for Bravo.

I'm afraid i can't be certain about overall team balances since i haven't tried the map online. But i believe it shouldn't be that hard for alphas to score the way it is now. Switching spawn places would make it almost impossible for red, unless you also mean switching the flag sites. That way alphas would then have a chance. Still, downwards spraying is harder to survive than upwards blind-sniping (like Haart said it could happen). Grenades make it easier for red team too.
Anyway, in this new version i've added a spawn place for Bravo at the top, about a screen high over red spawn places. That will make the game more interesting :D
quote:Originally posted by Haartperhaps Bravo should spawn in the middle????

Bravo has always spawned from the middle to the bottom, check the jpg ;P
There are some more deadly polygons too :D

Oh! And i've changed the map name to inf_Geronimo :P The misspell happened because spanish is my main language, and in spanish Geronimo is written with a J in spanish.

Please keep posting, and if possible, test the map with other players. I'd be very grateful for that :0

.Loki
November 8, 2005, 7:06 pm
Ah, i didn't notice the spawn points at first. This looks fine then ;).

Giantarm
November 13, 2005, 1:39 am
That would be interesting on realistic mode. lol.

Deleted User
November 24, 2005, 5:11 am
looks so fun :P
is it like one of those climbing maps?