( search forums )
slide 'n' stop
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
zyxstand
November 8, 2005, 12:33 am
this is a simple and minor suggestion.

All it does is add more feature to it. It would require some new animations (actually maybe just one frame!). All it is, is that when you run left facing left and you wanna go the other way, the player should kinda lean backwards with his feet pointed sharply forward so that it seems like he's trying to fully break. I'm sure you can probably visualize what this is supposed to look like. Also, the same thing should happen when instead of just stopping, you turn around and start trying to run the other way. And also have some dirt (client rendered) come off the shoes when doing this.
This idea would eliminate the unrealistic effect that a soldier actually starts running in one direction but is still sliding from momentum ni the other direction.

numgun
November 9, 2005, 8:00 pm
this would be risky in climbing maps : S
nah, it will make ur soldat a bit clumsy...

Deleted User
November 9, 2005, 11:15 pm
i like the idea. it would add to realism, maybe if when your running left and your looking right and you press down you slide like suggested.

Yuth
November 9, 2005, 11:52 pm
Yeah, that's great.
But I suggest it only on ice.

.Loki
November 10, 2005, 12:15 am
We allready have this in soldat. It's called a roll.

zyxstand
November 10, 2005, 12:42 am
...a roll is not a slide last time i checked. and numgun, i'm not saying make it harder for a soldier to stop - if you notice, he already 'slides' when trying to change direction, however his feet are trying to mov one way while his body is moving the other. all this suggestion says is to give it better graphix (sharp slide) to just make it appeal more realistic.
also, maybe if you just let go while running he'll do the same but only to stop.

.Loki
November 10, 2005, 1:40 am
Ah, i thought you were suggesting a new way to turn around quicker.

*shrug* I'm impartial to the idea. not really necessary, but it also couldn't hurt.

Keron Cyst
November 10, 2005, 3:03 am
Hehe, I support this.

Deleted User
November 27, 2005, 10:00 pm
another little thing that i noticed, while we are at this, is this: Jumping up, not moving at all will make your soldier break instantly. In real life, you would without doubt fall to the ground doing this... Or is it just me?
And guys, I think you can do this when you're on ground too...

Kaider
November 27, 2005, 11:58 pm
I guess I support this idea, but it doesn't matter too much.