( search forums )
ctf_weee :D
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
OutofOrder
November 8, 2005, 6:24 am
Here it is, i've finished the ctf map i suggested at first (before realizing making maps was actually fun).

Map config:
Jet fuel: minimum Weather: snowMedikits: 10 Grenades: 7 Steps: none Texture: banana.bmp
To the original map idea (which you can read in this thread), i've added a long tunnel that runs along the bottom of the map, both endings are at the higher and outer part of each "fort". There's no visibility inside the tunnel, and it's floor is ice. You've got to be careful in there!
So the name of the map gets justified after you use any of the ramps or after you slide on the tops or in the bottom tunnel. :)

Updated Overviews:

http://www.soldat-lra.net/uploads/files/ctf_weee01.jpg
http://www.soldat-lra.net/uploads/files/ctf_weee02.jpg
http://www.soldat-lra.net/uploads/files/ctf_weee03.jpg

And the UPDATED file (89kb when unzipped):
[URL]

I think the map will probably get dull if there aren't enough players, because of the many entrances to each fort, specially if you play realistic mode.
Yet it has to be fun (hopefully) when played 4v4. I think the optimal has to be around 7v7, 8v8 or 9v9.
This map has stepped to a beta stage. I'd like to test it somewhere. My internet connection is rather slow :/ so i'd need someone with a fast connection to host it and see what happens.
If anyone tests it with many players, please tell me the results!
About game balance, i've tried to make one fort easy to enter but rather tough to exit, and the other one easy to exit but rather tough to capture the flag and get out alive. Of course, the middle part makes entrances equally balanced, but i'm talking about the other entrances.
Sceneries were taken from other popular maps. Hey! Don't stare at me like that.. this is only my second map xD Maybe i'll introduce new sceneries next time.
That's it, i hope you test it and tell me what you think of it. Any bugs, please report them.

Edit: updated links!

.Loki
November 8, 2005, 8:16 am
Heh, looks like a pretty fun map. Layout is pretty sweet, would defintely be interesting to play in realistic mode. Perhaps the bottom path is unnecessary, but then again, maybe not. Just one of those things that requires testing with a large group of players (which can be quite difficult to get).

As far as looks go, I dig the shading. However, the fog effect in the middle is a big blocky, and the bottom path could use some more scenery.

Good job. Enter the next map contest so we have more than 4 people -_-.

headstone
November 8, 2005, 12:49 pm
Put this in new maps, it's sweet

OutofOrder
November 8, 2005, 1:06 pm
Thank you for replying! Also thanks for the comments :>
To .Loki:
What does "dig the shading" mean? I'm sorry, my main language is spanish, and i haven't got the hang of english sayings yet.
Indeed the fog effect looks awful... is there a way to make polys transparent? That'd help in this case. Fortunately, players don't notice about it when flying from one for to the other (unless they sit and fire at incoming enemies :P ).
I placed a path at the bottom because the map seemed lacking options for the invaders. And since it's a single long tunnel, without intersections, it adds simplicity. If the EFC flees that way, your team still has the chance (and the time) to invade the other fort from above and get the flag back, because the bottom path is quite long.
Too bad all of this is in theory, because i didn't get the chance to test it yet :/

To headstone:
I don't want to make it official since i haven't tested it yet. Well, perhaps i'll have to release it untested :P

headstone
November 8, 2005, 1:16 pm
More people will play it if you put it in new maps. It's far from official, many remakes and new versions are made after being posted there.

.Loki
November 8, 2005, 7:10 pm
"I dig it" means "I like it". Heh, sorry, slang from the 70's. And yeah, if you use 'Soldat Polyworks', found in the fanapps section, there is a transparency setting in the Pallet window.

Deleted User
November 8, 2005, 7:23 pm
is there scenery in the basement? i think not.

OutofOrder
November 9, 2005, 2:57 pm
ok headstone i decided to post this map (and my other one) in the new maps forum :P
loki i'm glad you dig it :P
and HHH the bottom path, which i think that's what you were talking about, has been improved in the final version. check the updated links. :)