( search forums )
upcoming ctf
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
OutofOrder
November 10, 2005, 1:47 am
After finishing ctf_weee i thought that i should still make a map based on sliding. So here's what i'm working on right now.
General overview:

[IMAGE]

Close up:
[IMAGE]

Almost the entire surface is ice, except three rocks and each team base. The yellow arrows in the first pic show the different way to slide your way up (or down :D ) the enemy flag. They are tested and working, for both ways. The second pic is a closer view of a base.
As you see, since the main way to get to the flag is by sliding (there is also enough jet fuel to get over there just by flying), there is a need to give many options to the invaders. Otherwise, camping foes would get an easy task. The stat guns don't reach a high angle of fire so their job gets limited too.
There's a platform in the center, just below the highest path, where you can find most of the grenade stock (highest chance to get a grenade is there: 6 out of 8). It's there to be a strategic point to dominate the bottom part of the map (by camping).

So, i want to know what do you think of it, and if there's anything that should be added/removed. I haven't started any shading nor added scenery, so please comment about the layout and possible gameplay weaknesses.
Thanks in advance for the replies! :)

rabidhamster
November 10, 2005, 2:27 am
good concept, but, the top path should have some floating platforms. i'll leave the visual improvement talk to geologist, rambo, or keron.

OutofOrder
November 10, 2005, 3:31 am
Yes, that path makes it too easy to score, that's why i just cut it right in the center. Yet it doesn't stop any sliding, but gives access to the top to any player battling in that area. Platforms? Sounds right, i'll try some either over that path or over the forts.
http://www.soldat-lra.net/uploads/files/preview_ski4.jpg
I also added a hidden tunnel behind each stationary gun that (hopefully) will bring more defensive options.
http://www.soldat-lra.net/uploads/files/preview_ski3.jpg

.Loki
November 10, 2005, 8:30 am
Concept is nice. But visually (no offense) it's a mess.

There is literally no shading. Pick an angle from which the light source is coming and shade accordingly. Also, 'floating' platforms tend to look better if you create scenery that looks like supports. For example, if your platforms were held up by a couple of wooden boards or kept in suspention by ropes it would look MUCH better.

Though I do realize that is why this is in the mapping ideas/discussions section instead of new maps. Also, I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think having multiple drop points for powerups (berserk, vest, etc) increases the drop rate (again, not entirely sure). So you might want to reconsider having multiples.

Also very symmetrical, but I guess thats the point.
Other than that, good stuff.

OutofOrder
November 10, 2005, 10:20 pm
yes indeed, i didn't want to start any shading nor adding scenery until i was completely satisfied with the layout :P i have an easy choice when it comes to themeing tho, since the floor is ice.
i'm going to add some platforms to defend/secure the top path, then i'll step into shading. and i'll see how powerups work when i add more 0:
thanks