( search forums )
Friends List(Another one by Puddle Jumper)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
Puddle Jumper
November 10, 2005, 7:13 am
A Friends list would be so perfect for Soldat. And its not so much coding as you guys would think. MMORPG's like Runescape have it.

Deleted User
November 10, 2005, 7:15 am
No reason not to.

DeLarge
November 10, 2005, 7:21 am
This was my idea!

vash763
November 10, 2005, 8:15 am
Agreed.

m00`
November 10, 2005, 8:47 am
having a friend list would mean needing people to register nicknames/usernames on soldat, i dont think that will happen

DeLarge
November 10, 2005, 9:34 am
No it won't. Not this time.

This was my idea!

Deleted User
November 10, 2005, 11:41 am
delarge many people thought of this idea when halo 2 came out, and your not the first.....o yah this isnt halo 2, use xfire or msn.....or aim

November 10, 2005, 12:10 pm
I don't want some idiot to register my nickname and make it completely unusable, and if he makes a bad image with that name, if i used the nickname, i would more or less likely get banned.

MMORPGS are not like soldat, and we don't need to keep track of our friends if we already have MSN.

AND IT WILL TAKE CODING COS RUNESCAPE IS BROWSER BASED, THEREFORE THEY CAN CHECK WHETHER USERS ARE LOGGED ON. WHAT IF YOUR FRIEND IS PLAYING A LAN MATCH?

Puddle Jumper
November 10, 2005, 6:02 pm
I think it should be IP based. Whom ever connects to the server with a certain IP address, would be logged into a giant archive. Each person would have his/her own separate little section where they store, maybe a certain amount, IP addys. there should be some sort of form where you enter the name and such.

It would entail another tab at the top, and not a bad idea at all. Its worth putting effort forth to see if it works.

P.S. I was comparing the friends list of runescape just to show that it really wouldn't take a whole lot of coding, since its browser based.

P.S.S. It could be a feature where you don't have to register... or must register... or something......

.Loki
November 10, 2005, 7:32 pm
Personally, I'm not about to give any soldat player's my AIM/MSN. A friends list would be nice, however.

Then again, Xfire works perfectly for this. It's just that not everyone knows about it or is willing to download it.

DeLarge
November 10, 2005, 8:20 pm
quote:Originally posted by dascoodelarge many people thought of this idea when halo 2 came out, and your not the first.....o yah this isnt halo 2, use xfire or msn.....or aim

Me and Puddle Jumper were chatting on MSN, and I brought up the idea of it in the conversation. Instead he asked to write it himself and I accept his question. But now I regret it. He doesn't give credit to me thinking about it.

.Loki
November 10, 2005, 9:02 pm
This really isn't the first time that this idea has been brought up. I've personally seen it suggested a couple of times. You can even find some still in the game improvements section.

If you think you have a good idea, chances are ten other people have already posted it, and even more have thought of it.

Social Poison
November 10, 2005, 9:12 pm
Binding it to IP wouldn't work since some of us are using dynamic ips.

Deleted User
November 10, 2005, 9:32 pm
Didn't he mention a huge database?
So the ip could get updated (i think)...

Or a registered only function.

Puddle Jumper
November 11, 2005, 12:30 am
Alrighty then. After much debate with someone, we decided that there should be a few options that we could do.

A) Soldat should have a database of names, and a login. Tie the name to the friends list. This wouldn't be too much coding, and it would benefit every player on soldat. I have a problem with a Legend Killer on 1.2.1 where he changes his name to my name and says crap to other people. Its annoying. You could also incorperate a ranking list.

B) The friends list would be tied to the IP address. The comupter would have an site, or even a database, where (if it where a dynamic IP) it would send the old IP and the new IP to the database. It would be a secureshell thing, so it wouldn't be too vulnurable on the net and all. Basically, if you had a dynamic IP, your comupter would send your current IP address, and your new one(telling it to change it to that IP address instead of the first one.). Simple, eh?(not canadian)

C) This(not this ^, but the idea in general) was all DeLarge's Idea. I take 40% credit... heh

Deleted User
November 11, 2005, 5:14 am
after much debate with my self ive decided that soldat does and will not have that puddle. in the mean time download nick auth. from the fan apps section and then maybe nice EnEsCe will add a friends list for us

Puddle Jumper
November 11, 2005, 6:14 am
Someone made a friends list?!

DeLarge
November 11, 2005, 6:26 am
If they did, congratulations.

Deleted User
November 11, 2005, 7:37 am
yeah EnEsCe,m there was also another attempt but its dead. the nick auth. by EnEsCe only registers it so no one can play with you nick cept you, but doesnt have chat, friends list, whos on and so forth. i suggest maybe xfire

DeLarge
November 11, 2005, 7:35 pm
X-Fire is over-rated. NEXT!

Puddle Jumper
November 11, 2005, 8:08 pm
I would think a friends list would be the most efficient for clan members/leaders. Think about it. You are the leader of a 20 people clan, and need to find your members(whom are 'busy' on MSN or Xfire or whatever, because they are playing soldat) and you have to find them for a huge spontaneous clanwar. A friends list would be uber awesome. in that you could find if they are even on, and what server they are in. Go find them, tell them to come to the clanwar. Its a smart idea, and it could even not have anythign to do with chat. Just to show where they are.

Echo_Trail
November 11, 2005, 8:17 pm
quote:Originally posted by DeLargeThis was my idea!

No, it was my idea.. i sugegsted this for a toppic many times, but it kept being cancelled because of earlier postings. yet, this topic comes up:D strange.. nevermind, it was my idea.. and a hell lot of others' ideas.. :)
anyway, this is the missing link to a perfect soldat..
quit all the weapons ajusting crap.. make them as they were in 1.2.1, add a friends list, and soldat will be perfect..
that'd be lovable..
btw, don't mind my optimism, i'm just happy to play this wonderful game.. and i've had one beer too many..
c ya on forums..
echo out

Deleted User
November 11, 2005, 8:23 pm
Just say it was everyones idea :o. Sounds good because if I have Xfire on while I play soldat the fps go down. Also, I don't like it when it gets minimized in the middle of shooting.

.Loki
November 12, 2005, 12:27 am
This idea is really only feasible with registered users. And even then, I think a better Idea would be a built-in soldat chatroom/player list. Not just a list of 'friends'.

Puddle Jumper
November 12, 2005, 1:25 am
Well, it would also be smart to start small, and work up. I think that 1.4 is way too far into development to put an entire chatroom into it. And I agree that only registered players would have a friends list.

Kaider
November 12, 2005, 3:06 am
I agree with Puddle Jumper, the Friends List (if added) should be IP Address based. But why would you need to be registered to have the Friends List?

Puddle Jumper
November 12, 2005, 3:21 am
err... I don't know, but it made sense to me in my mind...... somehow, it does. I think. I hope.

P.S. @Kaider, where did you get your avatar?! it makes me giggle everytime it plays through...

nfsjunkie91
November 12, 2005, 3:31 am
quote:Originally posted by Puddle JumperA Friends list would be so perfect for Soldat. And its not so much coding as you guys would think. MMORPG's like Runescape have it.

are you comparing soldat to Runescape?!?!?!?!? firnd list: get xfire man.

<ontopic> and if it were ipbased, what if someone had a dynamic ip such as dialup users and others with dynamic ips. possible each version fo soldat could have a special id-broadcasting key that is sent out when you go online, nad firiends would be tracked by that. just a thot

Deleted User
November 12, 2005, 3:47 am
If it is ip based, what about dynamic ips?

Alon
November 12, 2005, 4:24 am
Battlefield Vietnam had buddylist. There was no name registration there.

nfsjunkie91
November 12, 2005, 4:58 am
Uhh... m33p, read below plz.

quote:Originally posted by nfsjunkie91quote:Originally posted by Puddle JumperA Friends list would be so perfect for Soldat. And its not so much coding as you guys would think. MMORPG's like Runescape have it.

are you comparing soldat to Runescape?!?!?!?!? firnd list: get xfire man.

<ontopic> and if it were ipbased, what if someone had a dynamic ip such as dialup users and others with dynamic ips. possible each version fo soldat could have a special id-broadcasting key that is sent out when you go online, and friends would be tracked by that. just a thot

lol, idea theif!!! ima tell ice about this and yur gonna be busted. :P

EDIT: ahem:
|
|
V Spam O_o

Puddle Jumper
November 12, 2005, 7:23 am
lol

EDIT: yep

DeLarge
November 12, 2005, 8:53 pm
X-Fire could be another one of those memory hogs.

Puddle Jumper
November 12, 2005, 10:11 pm
X-Fire IS a memory hog.

DeLarge
November 13, 2005, 8:21 pm
Ahh yeah!

Hoodlum
November 13, 2005, 8:22 pm
Yeah I think it'd be cool to find out what server your friend is playing on but Xfire has this pretty much.

DeLarge
November 13, 2005, 8:26 pm
Pretty much what?

DePhille
November 13, 2005, 9:00 pm
Hi,

I'm currently working on a Soldat Friends list.
Lol , i was working on it two days before the topic started :) , it pretty much has the stuff sugested in here in it but it is NOT finished yet.

It uses a DB to store the accounts and their correspondent E-Mail Addresses.

I'll put it under fan apps when i'm ready.
I think the first version (Very basic , no chat , just the friends thing to join servers) will be done next week. If it gets much popularity i'll start implementing chat features and study further into the coding to improve the engine.

Grtz , DePhille

Hoodlum
November 13, 2005, 9:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by DeLargePretty much what?
On Xfire you can see what server your friends are playing and it gives you the info so you can go to it.

The bad thing about Xfire is that it lags my comp.

Puddle Jumper
November 13, 2005, 9:34 pm
THANK YOU DEPHILLE!! YOU ARE MY HERO!! Tell us(post here) whenever you get it done. This is so frekain exciting...

DePhille
November 13, 2005, 10:12 pm
I will , don't worry.
I hope it gets done sooner , if my friends get online so i can beta-test it. I think the beta testing will take the most time from now.

Grtz , DePhille

DeLarge
November 14, 2005, 2:54 am
The time has come!

Puddle Jumper
November 14, 2005, 3:21 am
I can/will do some of the beta testing for ya. My MSN messenger is chrisbook@msn.com

WILLING TO HELP!!

DePhille
November 14, 2005, 5:41 pm
I'll add you if I'm ready with the coding and if i need more betatesters.
Thx for the application :)

Grtz , DePhille

Echo_Trail
November 14, 2005, 7:22 pm
quote:Originally posted by DePhilleHi,

I'm currently working on a Soldat Friends list.
Lol , i was working on it two days before the topic started :)

Grtz , DePhille

Hmm.. Someone tell me, is DePhille made in Heaven?
I think i'm in love with you!.. o_O(?)

DeLarge
November 14, 2005, 7:49 pm
DePhille, you gotta work faster.

DePhille
November 14, 2005, 8:28 pm
DeLarge: My life outside PC goes before this app so you'll have to wait a bit ;)
Echo_Trail , let's finish the app before the wedding.

Grtz , DePhille

DeLarge
November 15, 2005, 12:31 am
Nah, I purposely wrote it. If you know what I mean!

Puddle Jumper
November 15, 2005, 4:42 am
o.0 wtf m8?!

Aegis
November 15, 2005, 6:25 am
Registration and chat/IM systems are really expensive without being directly connected to your peer. Atleast, ever since some schmuck came up with the idea of selling bandwith, which is IMO, a useless, imaginary money-making scheme.

DePhille
November 15, 2005, 3:27 pm
My program will partially connect to a db with all the updated IP's (Same host that SoldatPage and the Webring are hosted on , so i'll see if the bandwidth stays below 100Gb/month) and connect P2P to check for the Soldat ingame nicks and the server where the other is playing on.

So far i've done the most difficult part , the multiple P2P connections and they seem to work to my own PC (ip 127.0.0.1). Using my own Inet IP (dynamic) doesn't work because i'm behind a router , i guess you'll need to forward ports for that but i'll check that later. If I can't get this to work over the internet (Chances for that are small) i'll most probably need another month. Like i said chances are very small that it won't work over the internet so most probably the app will be finished soon.

Also it'll require to register an account to allow ppl to store their dynamic IP addresses.

//EDIT: Good news! i've done some beta testing with a friend and it all worked. There was some small stuff (like i showed ass offline , i forgot i'm behind a router , i should've enabled port forwarding. Secondly the VB controls didn't work , i can fix this by putting it in an installation file.) that weren't working but the overall idea worked. Just a bit more functions to be added (Exit button , handy huh. Add Buddy , Del buddy , Join Server and some minor stuff such as soldat niock reading which should be done in 15min) and the program is ready to be released after it's final beta-testing. Now there's only one thing that can stop this program and that's my Webserver (if it gets too crowded or so , very very little chance).
Release date is still targeted at saturday/sunday. maybe it's done tomorrow , if it all works from the first time.

Grtz , DePhille

Puddle Jumper
November 15, 2005, 11:53 pm
Sounds like some good stuff man. But I have a quest, or a conundrum if you will. Try to make it so you can log the friends as just the IP's. ^^

It would be fairly simple, just log your IP with a DB and have a name attached to the IP. Simple, eh?

EDIT: Otherwise, fabulous job man! I am so exiceted already!! >.-

DePhille
November 16, 2005, 12:59 pm
Yea that's what i mean.
If you login with your account the program will update your IP in a database.
If someone adds the person 'CoolGuy' or so the program will read the IP from the database and connect to it.

//EDIT: I've done some beta testing with Yukwunhang and it all worked. Just a minor problem with the automatic port forwarding that is solved now. All the functions worked , and i'm going to add one more thing: Save soldat folder location and then i'm most probably going to release it , so check the fanapps forum , i guess it'll be there a few hours after this post.

Grtz , DePhille

Deleted User
November 16, 2005, 5:47 pm
Will this prog. use a lot of the computers memory?

DePhille
November 16, 2005, 6:27 pm
PROGRAM RELEASED AS PUBLIC BETA.
http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=29326
Please send your Console.txt files to DePhille@gmail.com so i can see how the program works on other systems!

Sgt. Beaver: Less than X-Fire.
Don't use Windows Task Manager to determine the RAM usage of a program , in that case HL2 would be using 34Mb here! Windows Task Manager tends to give incorrect values. Sometimes my program uses 1Mb , sometimes 7Mb according to Windows task manager , the .exe file however is only +-130Kb big :/

Grtz , DePhille

DeLarge
November 17, 2005, 9:51 am
Yes! There is finally one. Puddle Jumper, come and get your download.

GARAoftheDESERT
November 17, 2005, 2:38 pm
I vote yes. But is it necisary. Mabey a registered feture

Puddle Jumper
November 17, 2005, 11:59 pm
Already went over that one GARAoftheDESERT