( search forums )
Matches of Death?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
.Loki
November 12, 2005, 3:05 am
I don't think it needs to be said that many (most) of the players who have been playing soldat for a long time tend to play primarily CTF mode. I personally have never been too much of a fan of capture the flag in soldat; I generally don't like relying on my team to win a game, and it doesn't seem quite as fast paced as DM.

Recently I've been thinking - why is it that most "pro" players only play on ctf/inf servers?

I asked some people, and some of them said that the mode is too simple - fair enough. However, even more people stated that DM mode is too "easy". This strikes me as an odd thought. After all, in any mode in soldat, the game is only as difficult as your opponent.

So this brings me to the forums. Are you more of a CTF player, and if so why? Also, why is it that practically NONE of the other modes are frequented? Point match, HTF, and (more understandably) Rambo Match are always deserted in comparison to the relatively overwhelming number of soldaters in CTF games.

Do you DM?

Kaider
November 12, 2005, 3:10 am
I'm not quite sure why there aren't many Hold The Flag servers up at a time,maybe it just needs to "settle in". Point Match is MM's favorite mode,he should add more hype to it. I don't play Rambo much, but I do notice there aren't many Rambo Match servers.

And I am proud to say I DM!

Deleted User
November 12, 2005, 3:11 am
I mostly play CTF because there are good rs ones that don't lag. I love DM, I think it is more exciting and have, but I can't usually find any non lagy realistic dm servers.

.Loki
November 12, 2005, 3:22 am
IMO, R/S Servers are much better in DM than CTF.

And yeah, i feel you on that meep. It's really annoying when there are only 3 low-ping DM servers, and two of them have passwords and the third has only one person in it.

GAMEOVER
November 12, 2005, 3:34 am
I play in DM servers a lot ive seen some people who others consider pro in there from time to time.

lithium
November 12, 2005, 5:58 am
I enjoy Deathmatch, but only from time to time. It's boring to me, because I can never find a DM server that isn't filled with beginners so there's little competition and it always deteriorates into a mindless killing spree. CTF is more appealing to me because better players tend to gravitate towards it and it involves more strategy and less mindless button-mashing.

Deleted User
November 12, 2005, 7:51 am
i play ctf caus i like playing against captain ben and EnEsCe and stuff in the EnEsCe AUS server

ThaD
November 12, 2005, 9:59 am
quote:Originally posted by .Loki

So this brings me to the forums. Are you more of a CTF player, and if so why? Also, why is it that practically NONE of the other modes are frequented? Point match, HTF, and (more understandably) Rambo Match are always deserted in comparison to the relatively overwhelming number of soldaters in CTF games.

lack of good servers in the case of Rambo and maps in the case of HTF

Chonoryoku
November 12, 2005, 3:24 pm
Actually, I think most "pro" players play mostly CTF and DM, not CTF and INF. I do agree, however, that HTF and Pointmatch are underplayed, and Rambomatch completely ignored. People should try playing more Rambomatch with OHK weapons disabled. It's a complete blast.

Deleted User
November 12, 2005, 4:16 pm
sometimes i want to play with team so i choose CTF or TM but sometimes i want to kill everything i see so i play DM or PM but my favorite mode is TM only becourse i want to kill alot of people i always choose the team that dont have many people in there MORE VICTIMS TO KILL,LSV(LAUGHING SCARY VOICE)(MUHUHUHAHA).

_Mancer_
November 12, 2005, 4:21 pm
DM is the best mode of all... sadly nobody very very good plays it..

DM > INF > CTF

Thats my order.

And if anyone wants to play me sometime... please give me a ring :)

.Loki
November 12, 2005, 5:33 pm
Yeah, you guys are pretty much confirming what I thought. No good players play in DM because... well... no good players play in DM. A self-prepetuating cycle of DM-less soldat.

I try to post DM ip's in #soldat.gather, but not a lot of people seem interested. So if you see me do so, join ;). Or I'll kill you.

...or was it join and I'll kill you...

Deleted User
November 12, 2005, 5:35 pm
Yeah, I just played on a pretty good realistc DM server last night and I didn't get bored of it :) Just hope I'll see some more around.

Echo_Trail
November 12, 2005, 6:34 pm
well, it's hard to say wich is the "hardest", and who's the best.. The CTF'ers, the DM'ers, The INF'ers or the HTF'ers.. it's all completely different games..
sometimes in DM, people just burst forward and shoot randomely, so many times it's just about being in the right place at the right time.
i couldn't say, but i think HTF really calls for some skills, then again, you're relying on a team that knows what they're doing..
like i said, it's a completely different game whether u choose CTF, HTF or whatever..
it's kinda like what you're up for that moment..

Deleted User
November 12, 2005, 7:39 pm
DM is good for the beginning, but its too simplistic. Soldat is 2D game and just shooting others withought any other goal, well, you can do that for couple of days/weeks but CTF or INF is better choice if youre going to spend some years (like me) playing this game.

Also, there is tendention to move to R/S later.

Deleted User
November 12, 2005, 8:04 pm
I must say that i rather visit a dm/tdm server than a ctf one (i like inf better than ctf though)
It's just about fun.

Deleted User
November 12, 2005, 8:20 pm
I never playctf beause I do not like relrying on other ppl in fact I like it when I play DM with everbody agaist me but I also like INF

Captain Ben
November 13, 2005, 2:23 am
I may sound up myself, but when I bless DM servers with my presence, it's just to easy. I don't know why, but I'm usually in the top 3 and get called a hacker. I like CTF, HTF and INF simply because it's one team pitted against eachother, and it's fun to team chat. :D

a-4-year-old
November 14, 2005, 12:04 am
i dm some times but, teamwork is fun sometimes, and htf is retarded. i like it at it's "slower rate" and it is more difficult to go through 5 guys grab a flag and run away.

i like the yellow text to captin ben :P

Deleted User
November 14, 2005, 12:06 am
So it pretty much goes down to the mode that you play or have played the least that makes it more interesting.

TheRelinquished
November 14, 2005, 2:57 am
Well as we all know, Soldat is a simple game. Easy to play, easy to get into, non-committal, etc. But the thing is, getting to be about as good as you're ever going to be get doesn't take very long. And personally, I'm probably at that point.

Because of this, as in countless other games, pointless slaughter is no longer as appealing to me as it once was, now that my technique is at its apex. And thus, I must find some other sort of means to challenge and better myself. The only way to do this is to work on strategy, and more specifically, my ability to work in a group...

That's my theory on why people get tired of just killing everyone in the room all the time.

"Self improvement is masturbation."

And boy do we ever love to masturbate.

(I do however like an occaisonal DM to soothe my frustrations with a pathetic team.)

GARAoftheDESERT
November 15, 2005, 2:37 pm
CTF stresses teamwork. Granted it may not hapen but its a team game. I do like team match, DM is my traning mode

Have you ever tried to fight 31 bots? Very fun!

Deleted User
November 15, 2005, 5:13 pm
I for one like CTF because of the teamwork aspect of it (as GARA pointed out). Come to think of it, R/S CTF is the only mode I play. I Can't find any Team Match servers that don't lag.

Close Combat
November 15, 2005, 5:14 pm
CTF is not all teamwork ive been thorugh many matches where i did all the work. i killed i snatched and i planted . round IN and round out. if i switch teams we pwn my opposing team. thats just the way it is!

The @venger
November 22, 2005, 6:56 pm
i love the teamplay in ctf, but in htf even more so (teamplay is what gets me wanting to play), dm is okay, but it gets too chaotic, with too many players.

Deleted User
November 24, 2005, 7:37 am
Well, I prefure Rambo and Point match but it's hard to find those games with players in them so I stick to RSCTF and Inf.

metal123
November 27, 2005, 6:16 pm
I love ctf though i hate excessive barreters picking you off when you get remotly close, HTF is awsom but theres no servers hosting HTF so i just gaveup on it. Maybe its newbs that play ctf cause I die 3/5 of the time in DM, and newbies tend to leave after getting killed a couple times.