( search forums )
CTF_Rising Sun
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Dustbag
February 25, 2003, 3:33 am
Hey Guys!

I'm working on this neat little (or should I say huge) map since yesterday. It's a nice CTF called Rising Sun. it comes from the sky color...

It's asymmetric, meaning that each sides are not equal. Actually it's kinda going vertical, the first name was going to be Hill Climbing, but I changed the design somewhat...

The balancing factor resides here: the team on the low end has a hard way getting to the enemy flag, but an easier way getting back to base, and the topmost team has a very wasy way going to the bottom but going back up is another business...

Also, each team's base has a defensive perimeter of spikes, bunkers, and some sniper positions are available throughout the map.

You can see the guard tower, that is midway in the big slope part.
The spiked gullies are pretty deadly, and defence can shoot at the attackers and try to repell them in the 'no man's land' and watch them get impaled helplessly!

Anyway, it's not finished. I put a lot of work in the polygons, but I'm not finished with the scenery. if anyone wanted to test-play it with me, I'd be glad to take contact with you people and play some little games...

Me ---> gcouet @ magma.ca or by MSN Messenger at dj_gab @ hotmail.com
(without any spaces in the addresses of course)

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] screenshot10.jpg42.83 KB

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] screenshot8.jpg26.77 KB

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] screenshot14.jpg42.64 KB

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] screenshot17.jpg32.25 KB

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] screenshot18.jpg49.57 KB

OK! I added this just now...thought it could give a good idea of the rough shape of the map...I'm working on it right now and I added the red flag area's spikes, I also added a shortcut, I thought it could make both sides have a better chance of getting objectives done...as you can see, blue can't get in through it, but can return to base, and red team can get down that way but can't go back up...

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] CTF_RisingSun.jpg61.44 KB

OK Folks!
Here's the first release version of the map. I call it an Alpha version because I didn't put so much scenery in there yet. The map fully playable. Bots are quite stupid and they have great difficulty going uphill...so it works but not quite good...also I had a rough time making them go over the spiked pits...

GET IT NOW!!!

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] Ctf_RisingSun.zip24.79 KB

I'm working on it still...
I spent a couple of hours making dramatic scenery...here are the results...

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] screenshot21.jpg 48.46 KB

a dead M1A1 Abrams tank

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] screenshot22.jpg54 KB

a dead M32 tank

illicyx
February 25, 2003, 3:35 am
Looks good!

Dustbag
February 25, 2003, 3:40 am
Oh yeah! I should add that I used some no-colliding polygons and scenery elements in front of everything to make bunkers more life like... as the bunker that's sitting right in front of the blue flag...you can get in by the back (and by some glitch I have to correct by the front...) and you are covered from harm from almost all sides...

Just wait for updates!

Evolution
February 25, 2003, 3:41 am
when you finish the whole thing(final)
release it in your 1st post!
(edit)
-------
great map!!!!!

AgentSmith
February 27, 2003, 11:14 am
whoa, this one rocks!
thats how a genious ctf map should look like!

Dustbag
February 27, 2003, 8:45 pm
OMG! Thanks dude...I've always been praising the non linear thing, but I think some people deserve more praise than me!

sauron_the_deceiver
February 27, 2003, 8:49 pm
that... is beautiful.

evolution: variate your vocab dude

Zleeper
February 27, 2003, 10:53 pm
Very Nice, Cant whait to see the final version...

Flanagan
February 28, 2003, 12:59 am
It is pretty good, but you need to work on how you place the polys. Like in screenshot 17, that little bunker, or trap thing by the Blue Flag, it doesn't look that great.

Evolution
February 28, 2003, 7:53 am
when you finish, i would like to have it.
o whoops i see......
--------------------
and no i am not star hunting.
i got a warning from DNA Styx and i now
edit my messages instead of posting
multiple ones. (as you see, i am in the sin bin)
LOL :)

illicyx
February 28, 2003, 12:16 pm
Evolution, I think you are 'Star Hunting' or something because you are doing alot of reposting of the same thing, that you like the map. While that is all well and good, you don't need to say it more than once, however you say it.

(Edit: Please note that if you READ this post Evolution, you would have seen that I said I think there is nothing wrong with making good comments as well as any comments on them for that matter.)

Dustbag
February 28, 2003, 9:05 pm
LOL...just wait to see both spawn points...I've been working on it for maybe 5 hours since last night...both are just mind-bogginly good looking...I'm not telling more or posting any screens now until I've finished.

Dustbag
April 8, 2003, 4:30 pm
hey guys! I'm making an update here, I know it's been a month, but it was a busy month for me. I didn't have time at all t work on the maps, but I kinda went somewhere with my base idea. I finished the spawn points...I think you'll like them. (some people might diss the fact that flying stuff doesn't look good, but it's only for scenario, guys...not for realism...

anyway, you spawn in a chopper! And I worked hours on the GFX, especially the Blackhawk. That one has 3 separate image files to create the illusion you are inside, but the door is open and you jump down from it...

Also, I made a nice looking little hummer that I inserted somewhere...anyway, I'm not making this map for the sake of making a map...I'm doing it to test how I can make scenery better...maybe do a scenery bundle sometime...vehicles, structures, stuff like that...

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] screenshot24.jpg42.86 KB

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] screenshot25.jpg29.99 KB

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] screenshot36.jpg26.59 KB

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] screenshot26.jpg45.04 KB

F@NTOM
April 8, 2003, 6:40 pm
a good looking map..I especially love the scenery :)

Flanagan
April 9, 2003, 12:44 am
Sh*t. The scenery is so freaking good. Holy Cow! Wow. That is nice work man. I am in awe. Vehicle scenery is going to improve the look of almost any map 100%.

wormdundee
April 9, 2003, 12:51 am
holy holy holy crap, that is damn good, i wonder why other people havent been using vehicle scenery in their maps, but it sure as hell makes it look good, and that spawning from a helo, genius!, i cant wait till this map is done

Duke33
April 9, 2003, 1:05 am
Helll, man, that is the sweetest, without doubt one of the very best CTF maps i have ever seen. The vehicles are beautiful, the scenery is nice, and everything is GOOD. Anyway, are there waypoints yet? COs if not, im sure that you will not be short of volunteers here to help you. Even Michal probably would help you. :)

Dustbag
April 9, 2003, 1:48 am
I had started the waypoints...actually, I had worked maybe 4 hours on that. The problem is that, for bots, it's REALLY hard to jump over the spiked pits without messing up badly...so that's why I put the spawns after the pits and the flag area and not before... that meant another capping tactic, too, so I thought it could be good...the team at the top has no problem going down to the bottom and they cap the enemy flag quite easily...the only problem is that they just can't get back up... they get stuck in the enemy spike pit, and or die there on the spikes, or just remain there until someone passes (at which point they usually kill themselves on the spikes...they suck...)

For the team going uphill, they manage to do it (more or less, some get up quite fast and some others tend to get stuck) but when they get to the floating islands parts, they always miss the waypoints, fly too far or stray from the course and en up bumping themlseves in the far right wall...

I just couldn't figure any way to make a good waypoint system for the map...

Anyway, my strenght is not in waypointing, but in graphs...

Just wait to see my next map.

Duke33
April 9, 2003, 2:01 am
Well, your map is friggin sweet nonetheless. However, i advise that you should get a perosn who is really good at waypoints to do them for you, cos a good map deserves good waypoints..

N1nj@
April 10, 2003, 1:39 am
holy...the tanks and helicopters are really good...it match with the map too

too bad you cant drive them :)

Wolf_363
April 10, 2003, 3:56 am
I really like the look of you map, but when I downloaded it and tryed it, I got an error about the scenery, and it wouldn't work.
Any thoughts? Or do I need to be more specific?

Dustbag
April 10, 2003, 6:59 pm
I know exactly what the problem is. I should have added the custom GFX in the zip file in the first place, and I don't remember why I didn't do it...it was a month ago...anyway the map has changed much, and here is the new file. You just have to extract the archive in your whatever\soldat\ directory. It should put the files in the good subdirectories if you have the option enabled. Otherwise, images go in scenery-GFX, and the map goes in maps.

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] ctf_RisingSun.zip114.69 KB

Wolf_363
April 11, 2003, 1:57 am
Hmmmm, well, I'm sorry to say I still get that scenery error with this new version, perhaps theres something wrong on my computer.

Dustbag
April 11, 2003, 2:45 pm
Naw...it must be that I forgot to add a custom texture that is not used anymore in the map, but is still in the GFX list.

The explanation to this problem is simple:

When you make a map, if you use a custom texture, it adds itself to the GFX items list...don't ask me why this exists, I never use it anyway (prolly no one does, really). But even if you get rid of that texture and don't use it in the map anymore, if you saved your map in the meantime, it will remain in the GFX item list, as part of the map. And if you try to play the map without having ANY, and I mean any, file that has the same name as the one in the list, it will give you the error. You just need to have a file in the scenery-GFX directory that matches the name in the GFX item list. I'll find out which one it is, because anyway no one will be able to play it unless I find the file name that's missing. THX for the feedback, it will help me solve the problem.

***edit***

I found it. Actually, it was a silly mistake from me, I forgot one of the files that actually WAS used in the map, even if I had taken care of the ones not used anymore... [:P]

Here's the new updated zip file. If this one doesn't work, I'll be damned!!!

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] ctf_RisingSun.zip162.98 KB

Wolf_363
April 11, 2003, 9:08 pm
Works fine now.
Like that map, well done.