( search forums )
Changes to Weapon Selection
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Swarmer
November 14, 2005, 7:35 pm
I'm sure something similar to this has probably been suggested before, but with the public weapon balance beta, I feel that this is a noteworthy solution and should be brought up.

I think there should be an option that lets the server limit how many weapons there can be in use by a team. You could limit a team to 2 barretts or so, and when 2 barretts are being used, they become unavailble to the team. They only become availble once the gun itself disappears (since it drops when they die).

Another option would be to have random weapons assigned upon death. There should be two ways to do this. One way is to have the server assign this as an option: upon respawn, the game picks your guns for you randomly. Another option is to just have a random gun function along with the list of normal guns. This is for the people who like to have fun.

The server should be able to adjust the frequency of weapon occurences. Barretts could have a 5% chance of appearing, and a more normal weapon like the styer could have a 15% chance. Weapons people dont want to use like minigun could have a lower percentage also.

I think these options are probably the most effective way to balance weapons. Good weapons can't really be abused, since they will not be in large numbers.

Echo_Trail
November 18, 2005, 10:10 pm
yeah, i thought of this a swell..
i'm all for the idea about having limited amount of certain weapons, and i find your other idea interresting also.
Perhaps it could be added as an "enable-link"(don't know what to call it) such as suvival mode, realistic-mode and advance-mode.
People could even be able to customize in options menu - to configure the chance in % any certain weapon has to appear.
i think this is a good idea!
echo out

Swarmer
November 30, 2005, 6:57 am
I'd like to know about other people's opinions of this suggestion. I thought it was brilliant :It's like the perfect solution to weapon balance, but only EchoTrail has replied.
Is it bad? I want to hear your thoughts.

Deleted User
November 30, 2005, 8:04 am
Mm. As an optional mode, this idea would work. As an option for any server to limit how many of each weapon they want, I dont really like that. The fact that you might want to practice a gun and 2 newbies are out sucking with them is rather [CENSORED]ty. As much as I hate this overuse, I dont want the servers I go to (which are 3) get even narrower if people are to limit all weapons on a team. This might go against what im saying, and people might just limit only those annoying guns such as barrets and all that, but still.

I like this idea....sort of....but im still sketchy about it.

Swarmer
November 30, 2005, 8:31 am
yeah now that I read it again it's not as perfect as I thought. I was thinking too much about the random weapon selection thing, which I think would be really fun.

But as for the weapon limitations, I think it would be pretty good if the server was reasonable about it. They would only have to limit one or two weapons, and it would greatly decrease the amount of times you see whole teams barrettarding or M79 laming. But i can see where servers would set unreasonable limitations, like 2 AKs or something.

Deleted User
November 30, 2005, 8:34 am
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Servers might switch to like, 2 of one weapon per team. Im extremely confident servers probably like U13 wont even bother with this, IF it were to be implemented ~ Although thats just my opinion of what flab would do. Regardless, im sick of so little servers there are to play on, without having to join a clan and having to get your games through scrimmages and war ~ Not that clanning is bad, I love scrimming and warring much more then normal pub games, however, you dont see many clans scrimming for a few hours straight.