( search forums )
Immortal when selecting a weapon
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
DeLarge
November 14, 2005, 7:52 pm
This can prevent spawn killings.

You know your character will be created even if you select a weapon it will be vulnerable to killers. But, there could be a solution: when the weapon dialog box comes up, you will have unlimited health until you select your primary and secondary weapons.

_Mancer_
November 18, 2005, 10:00 pm
I am Mancer and I approve of this.

Deleted User
November 18, 2005, 10:02 pm
Approvancy.

Echo_Trail
November 18, 2005, 10:03 pm
i don't have a problem with spawnkillers. I simply quick-select full-automatic, and send down a rain of bullets onto'em. anyhow, i am tired of people screaming up about SK's, and for that i support this!
Stop spawnkills! - it leaves whiny jerk-off's for the rest of us to listen to..

papasurf31
November 18, 2005, 11:54 pm
My name is papasurf31, and I approve this suggestion.

Deleted User
November 19, 2005, 12:46 am
I am Officer_Bulbock, and I approve of this as long as you don't spawn until selecting a weapon rather than being invincible until you select one.

zyxstand
November 19, 2005, 1:09 am
ladies and gentleman, you apparently do not realize the problem with this:
one could just wait until conditions are ideal for him to get an instant kill when spawning (swith to knife and throw). All one would have to do is wait a few seconds then select weapon and go and own.
So may i be the first to say:
I am zyxstand, and i disapprove of this uncarefully thought-out suggestion.

Deleted User
November 19, 2005, 1:51 am
Er... We'll have to add, remove actually, something else to remove abusing this. If we're going to do this, then let there be no invincibility right after you choose the weapon. This could be abused because it gives the person awareness of what's going on in their base without being harmed.

Deleted User
November 19, 2005, 6:24 am
I approve unless flag falls on you and u choose weapon till flag return.. -.-

Echo_Trail
November 19, 2005, 8:46 am
God, that'd be lame..

this would be good if you suddenly had to answer you phone or something! You'd get killed once, and then be immortal while talkin'..

but i too think this will be abused the hell out of!
one would have to votekick then! O_o

STEELIX
November 19, 2005, 8:50 am
How about you don't spawn until you actually chose your weapon, with the screen being stuck somewhere high above the level?

Deleted User
November 19, 2005, 9:43 am
I am who I am and I approve of Officer_Bulbock's and STEELIX's train of thoughts, not the unlimited health thingey.

Also this would only happen when first joining a sever, not every time you die, because that'd be annoying.

m00`
November 19, 2005, 9:49 am
quote:Originally posted by STEELIXHow about you don't spawn until you actually chose your weapon, with the screen being stuck somewhere high above the level?

lol hell no, it will just make soldat look buggier than it currently is

DeLarge
November 19, 2005, 10:01 am
quote:Originally posted by zyxstandladies and gentleman, you apparently do not realize the problem with this:
one could just wait until conditions are ideal for him to get an instant kill when spawning (swith to knife and throw). All one would have to do is wait a few seconds then select weapon and go and own.
So may i be the first to say:
I am zyxstand, and i disapprove of this uncarefully thought-out suggestion.

I am DeLarge, and I find your useless statement a flop!

Alamo
November 19, 2005, 3:24 pm
I am Alamo and I approve of zyxstand's 'floppy' statement. He's right! If something similar should be put into the game, make it a customizable time of invulnerability for the Player to choose his weapon (like 3-4s?) This would solve spawnkilling and the problem of DeLarge's suggestion.

And DeLarge: Maybe you should not just bash comments in the ground but carefully read them. You didn't give any reason why his comment would be a flop. You are the kind of people noone likes (to discuss with).

Keron Cyst
November 19, 2005, 4:08 pm
I still stand by my "Ready to Respawn" suggestion over this one, which takes place entirely before the weapon menu ever appears.

Deleted User
November 19, 2005, 4:19 pm
i dissaprove this because of ctf.....

Kaider
November 19, 2005, 5:41 pm
I'm not quite sure about this own, because if people were just standing around being either invincible or invisible on a CTF, then an enemy comes, you still have full health and can choose an auto and spray them, or if it's an open map choose a barret, etc.

Saint-Cross
November 19, 2005, 6:12 pm
Maybe you can be invincible, but you must choose your weapon in say 5-10 seconds before the invincibility wears off?

Chonoryoku
November 19, 2005, 6:33 pm
quote:ladies and gentleman, you apparently do not realize the problem with this: one could just wait until conditions are ideal for him to get an instant kill when spawning (swith to knife and throw). All one would have to do is wait a few seconds then select weapon and go and own.
So may i be the first to say: I am zyxstand, and i disapprove of this uncarefully thought-out suggestion.
I disapprove too, because of Zamorak's statement.

quote: I approve unless flag falls on you and u choose weapon till flag return.. -.-
Probably the biggest problem with this idea. Someone could grab a flag, run back to thier base, have a team mate standing there in the Select Weapon menu, and return his team's flag without having to worry for his safety. Very unfair, very stupid. :|

I would rather go with Keron Cyst's "Ready to Respawn" idea.

.Loki
November 19, 2005, 7:23 pm
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this suggestion. This would be horrible in DM, you could be invincible until you feel like picking a weapon, which you could use to kill people. Wait til they unload a clip and then shoot them down.

I have no problem with spawn camping in soldat. It is usually easily avoidable, just many people are too newbish or lagged out to do it. Really though, all you have to do is jump or roll, and then shoot.

_Mancer_
November 19, 2005, 7:27 pm
quote:Originally posted by STEELIXHow about you don't spawn until you actually chose your weapon, with the screen being stuck somewhere high above the level?

This suggestion is perfect. I dont see any reason not to implement this idea right here into soldat. Nobody who disgareed in this thread can put up any hard evidence as a reason why not to respawn until you actually get your weapons picked.

DT
November 19, 2005, 8:06 pm
More spawn invulnerablity (did i spell that right?)time would be better...
3 or 4 seconds...

STEELIX
November 19, 2005, 9:48 pm
quote:Originally posted by m00`quote:Originally posted by STEELIXHow about you don't spawn until you actually chose your weapon, with the screen being stuck somewhere high above the level?

lol hell no, it will just make soldat look buggier than it currently is

Or something like that, obviously. It doesn't really matter, 'slong as you don't see what's happening where you'll be spawning.

The @venger
November 22, 2005, 6:44 pm
i dont approve

Tybs
November 23, 2005, 11:58 am
I dont like the idea of having some invulnerability time while picking ur weapon, meaning people just stand on their spot, even if its only for a few seconds... usually when i see an enemy, i start shooting right away or throw my knife at them (no matter if they spawned or not). This would mean someone spawns, one second later i get him into sight, i take my knife, throw it and hit him, and he would still not have a scratch... then he selects his weapon and kills me before i can switch to my other weapon.
The idea not to spawn before u selected a weapon is good though. This gives no reason to complain about spawnkilling (the moment u spawn u can shoot right away), and there will be no problems like i mentioned above. I approve if u dont spawn until u chose ur weapon (remains an issue though were ur screen will be until u spawned... id suggest just to have it above ur corpse like usual).

Deleted User
November 24, 2005, 2:32 am
My name is to the left (why are you all putting ur names?) And I think we could extend to pausing aswell.

Deleted User
November 24, 2005, 2:39 am
quote:Originally posted by _Mancer_quote:Originally posted by STEELIXHow about you don't spawn until you actually chose your weapon, with the screen being stuck somewhere high above the level?

This suggestion is perfect. I dont see any reason not to implement this idea right here into soldat. Nobody who disgareed in this thread can put up any hard evidence as a reason why not to respawn until you actually get your weapons picked.

Agreed. Even better then the original idea.

*Two Thumbs Up* :D

Ralnir
November 25, 2005, 6:47 am
Spawning is for punks, I hope this gets passed.

Deleted User
November 27, 2005, 9:50 pm
Do you ever think?

1. you follow a random teammate (like when your spawn-time is counting down) after
you've died with the weapons menu up.

or 2, the camera stays where you were killed or where you will be spawned.

simple as that

Harwin
December 5, 2005, 5:46 pm
Personally I dont think it would help.

What if your team player having the flag gives you it? You can hold it with no chance of getting killed
and just not select a weapon until they have been killed by your teammates, it would be used to advantage.

And I dont think it would help generally either,
the enemy could just guard you until you pick a weapon and then shoot you down.

Right?

Deleted User
December 5, 2005, 6:08 pm
How about you don't spawn until you select a weapon?
You can't hold a flag if your not there...

Veritas
December 5, 2005, 7:37 pm
quote:Originally posted by Officer_BulbockHow about you don't spawn until you select a weapon?
You can't hold a flag if your not there...

Very good idea, makes me think of the system implemented in BF2.

Alternatively, until you select a weapon, you're invulnerable but you can't move or see anything (other than the map itself).

Deleted User
December 5, 2005, 7:53 pm
I like the idea of not spawning until you choose your weapon a bit better.

nfsjunkie91
December 6, 2005, 12:45 am
My name Denis Mitchell and I approve of Officer_Bulbock's idea, that we should not respawn until we have selected a weapon.

Paid for by The Committee for a More Fair Soldat.

DT
December 6, 2005, 8:16 am
quote:Originally posted by DTMore spawn invulnerablity (did i spell that right?)time would be better...
3 or 4 seconds...

enuff said

Deleted User
December 6, 2005, 11:58 pm
I aprove this Idea... Dont like spawnkillers

zyxstand
December 7, 2005, 2:14 am
how about an entirely new format of anti-spawnkillers
if you kill someone with one hit weapons within the first 2-3 seconds of spawn, you automatically get killed... (or something like that)

person
December 7, 2005, 6:14 am
Yes, the don't-spawn-'til-you-select-a-weapon idea is by far and away the best idea for minimizing spawn killing.

The problem of where the weapons menu goes should be solved by a new map object: place this at each spawn point, and when you are randomly spawned there, that's where your vision will go to display the weap. menu. That'd reduce the time it takes for the camera to move all the way down from "somewhere", to being right where you spawn.

Sure it may take a little more coding, making the new maps a different format probably, and so wouldn't be able to be used in previous versions... but so what. I think there are heaps of improvements that could be made to how maps, and the new custom gostek ideas that should be included, that SHOULD be made to improve the level of customization available to end-users. Also there could be a function to password maps or something to prevent others from opening it with an editor, should the maker not want the map to be ripped off while in development stages or something.

aaaanyway...
I'm some person, and I approve of this suggestion.

Tybs
December 7, 2005, 9:34 am
quote:Originally posted by zyxstandhow about an entirely new format of anti-spawnkillers
if you kill someone with one hit weapons within the first 2-3 seconds of spawn, you automatically get killed... (or something like that)

*Sees enemy*
*Immediately throws knife at him*
*Suddenly gets killed because some freakin guy has to spawn between me and the target*

Deleted User
December 7, 2005, 10:27 am
I disagree the idea of not-spawn-until-weapon-chosen, althou I hate spawnkillers and barrettards :P
just think of the situation: people get killed in ctf_run. they'll wait at the base, keeping not-respawned, until enemies come to get the flag. 2 or 3 players doing this can spoil the whole game as they are more lame then campers as they are not shown.
and plz dont think of that in bf2: bf2 respawn only at the occupied area which can be invaded. and they counted soldiers number. soldat doesn't.

person
December 7, 2005, 11:04 am
Maybe there could also be a time limit... like something between 6-10 seconds, after which the player automatically spawns; to prevent that kind of thing.

I don't think many people would do it anyway, but still...

Antifate
December 7, 2005, 11:35 pm
It'd be HIGHLY abusable... Grab the flag. Kill yourself over the spawn point, nab the flag and don't pick a weapon. Even if you're mouse is high above the level someone can tell you "cap" or something.

Harwin
December 8, 2005, 12:16 am
What about just showing a transparent picture of your soldier at the place it is going to spawn at until you click a weapon?

That way you are not spawned and cant capture flags, and the transparent soldier
fixes the problem or where to keep the camera when you pick a weapon.

Hm?

Deleted User
December 8, 2005, 2:55 am
A valid point, Harwin :O

Deleted User
December 10, 2005, 2:15 am
people won't take advantage of this because if you wait around for an opportunity, you won't get as many points as someone who is active. The person who picks an opportune time to pop in will get one cheap kill (maybe) and everyone will call him a noob