( search forums )
How would we make programs?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Fans - Fan Apps
Deleted User
November 15, 2005, 12:19 am
What I'd like to do is make a weapon modding and testing program. But is it possible, and what would I need for it?

mar77a
November 15, 2005, 1:50 am
You will need a good computer, programming skills, the compiler and time;pacience (lots of it).

vash763
November 15, 2005, 1:53 am
patience

Deleted User
November 15, 2005, 2:10 am
Still dosen't help the fact that I don't know how to make that sort of program.

Jap_man
November 15, 2005, 2:29 am
First of all you need to know a programing language, if you do not know one, you wont be able to create a program. There are many different programing languages but looking at the kind of program you wish the create you would probably need to use C++, Visual basic or Python.

Assuming that you do not know any of these programing languages, I suggest you learn one of these programing languages and look into it further, before you plan out your program.

DePhille
November 15, 2005, 3:37 pm
If you want to get to coding quickly use VB like i do , it covers all the basic and intermediate stuff with ease. For hard stuff you'll need to know a whole lot of VB.
If you want to get further into programming use C++ it resembles alot like PHP and it is the most used language i guess (HL2 mods use it etc.) but it is also one of the hardest languages.

What do you mean with Testing program? you mean that you'll be testing (firing with) weapons in your program or in Soldat. in the first case (firing weapons in your own game) that'll be impossible unless you rewrite Soldat :).

Grtz , DePhille

Dark_Noddy
November 15, 2005, 5:06 pm
I'm working on a Weps testing proggie (slowly anyhow) (in delphi) - Just wanted to say that so if he has same Idea as me I wont get flamed for "rip off" :)

bbqchips
November 16, 2005, 9:47 am
quote:Originally posted by DePhilleuse C++ it resembles alot like PHP

Sorry to go a bit off toic here, but C++ doesn't resemble PHP (pointers, etc). Anyway back ontopic... I recommend using VB .NET as it can easily make GUI programs with simple code. Microsoft recently released their Visual Studio Express edition free, check it out here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/default.aspx

b00stA
November 16, 2005, 7:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by bbqchipsquote:Originally posted by DePhilleuse C++ it resembles alot like PHP

Sorry to go a bit off toic here, but C++ doesn't resemble PHP (pointers, etc).
The other way round. Considering that PHP is a scripted language and used for HTML as output, it resembles C++ quite much actually.
The syntax is similiar, but it's definately not as low-level as C++.

rainrider
November 17, 2005, 1:11 pm
Blehahahahh, programming lessons 1-10: from zero to hackero ;D

DePhille
November 17, 2005, 3:43 pm
Off-topic:
C++ syntax is very similiar to PHP if you know other coding languages too.
PHP isn't as bare-bone as C++ , you don't have to write strings to the memory and all (you just assign a string and that's it) but it's syntax is more of the same. I tried to start with C++ and i actually could skip 80% of the tutorial because of the similiraty between PHP and C++ , the other 20% were functions , then i realised i could do all that with VB too and i stopped learning C++ :P.

On-Topic:
I really suggest VB , unless (like i said) you will use it for professional goals too.
VB doesn't need a compiler and can handle most of what c++ can (you'll have to dload functions off the inet sometimes). VB is one program , it has a function so u can 'play' the program , which means testing it without having to compile it. It also has the extremely handy function of evaluating every line of code , you advance to the next line with F8.

Grtz , DePhille

Elephant_Hunter
November 17, 2005, 7:58 pm
If you are on a budget and don't have a legit copy of VB, I would suggest you use SharpDevelop. It requires the .NET frameworks, but it works every bit as well as Visual Studio .NET (with support for both C# and VB.NET.)

Download

[IMAGE]

Yukwunhang
November 18, 2005, 10:16 am
Thanks alot, EH.