( search forums )
setting up linux dedicated server
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server Help
Dermetzgermeister
November 19, 2005, 6:52 am
hello,

i have a old box, (no monitor on it), and i would lyk to turn it into a dedicated linux server.

i have a copy of fedora core 2, but i dont know how to set it up to run soldat dedicated.

is it possible for me to setup a server on this box without a monitor?

if so how,

thanks

Deleted User
November 19, 2005, 11:00 am
lol, no... you would need a monitor to use temporarily and install RealVNC or some generic VNC and remotely control it from another LAN computer.

Soulsnipa
November 19, 2005, 11:37 am
unless the server has the

"Turn on Soldat Dedicated Option" Button on the case.

Denacke
November 19, 2005, 11:52 am
quote:Originally posted by EnEsCelol, no... you would need a monitor to use temporarily and install RealVNC or some generic VNC and remotely control it from another LAN computer.

It's a linux computer, You can log in to it with SSH which is included in all linux distros I believe.
quote:Originally posted by Dermetzgermeisterhello,

i have a old box, (no monitor on it), and i would lyk to turn it into a dedicated linux server.

i have a copy of fedora core 2, but i dont know how to set it up to run soldat dedicated.

is it possible for me to setup a server on this box without a monitor?

if so how,

thanks
As said before, you will have to set up a monitor and keyboard to your server just to install your linux.

Afterwards, you'll have to check for these things to be ok:
- No firewall blocking access for SSH
- Set a static IP
- Try to make sure SSH is running and enabled

Once that's done, you should be able to connect to your server with your other computer. Plug your monitor and keyboard back to your client PC

Install an app to connect with your server, e.g. PuTTY ( http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ ). Then give in the IP of your linux server and log in.

Once that works, you could try this tutorial to set up the soldat server: http://soldatserver.com/ (click on tutorials afterwards)

Dermetzgermeister
November 19, 2005, 5:24 pm
okay will try, another question but... im not quite sure the state of the graphics card (wether it works or not), so could i just install linux on it via another pc and put the hdd in it, this would work rite?...

also SSH, that will allow me to change lots of stuff rite?, say if i wanted to install another dedicated server? or add sum custom made soldat maps (no plans here, just wanna know what i can and cannot do)

As said before, you will have to set up a monitor and keyboard to your server just to install your linux.

Afterwards, you'll have to check for these things to be ok:
- No firewall blocking access for SSH
- Set a static IP
- Try to make sure SSH is running and enabled

my router has an inbuilt firewall i believe... but i doubt this would get in the way of the local network, should only have problems with SSH from an external source...

FliesLikeABrick
November 19, 2005, 7:56 pm
you should do some elementary reading about what ssh is and how to install linux... odds are that you need to have a keyboard and monitor on the computer while you're installing linux

PureGrain
November 21, 2005, 1:25 pm
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickyou should do some elementary reading about what ssh is and how to install linux... odds are that you need to have a keyboard and monitor on the computer while you're installing linux
That is true.

Connect a monitor/keyboard and mouse if needed. Start the computer and go into your BIOS. Be sure that the CD-ROM is set up as your default BOOT device also be sure to turn ofchecking for the mouse on start-up. Put in the Fedora Core 2 disk 1 and restart your computer. Be sure to save your BIOS settings first. :D

Follow the graphical installation and let it partition the hard drive itself for esaier installation. Once you get through a few steps it is going to ask you about which type of installation you want.

If all your going to want this for is a dedicated box and not for a workstation. Be sure to select Server and then choose what you want installed. If your not going to be using the machine as a work station then be sure to uncheck Gnome or KDE since you do not need a GUI for desktop.

Most of the default settings will allow the setup you need to run Soldat and many other games. So you should be ok as long as you uncheck the GUI stuff and maybe some other apps that you will not need loike office apps and such. Now the main reason I say to do this is because I choose Custom install most of the time and I have to select which apps to run, I am not sure if you choose another selection how the setup is ran. Also be sure to select whether or not you want a firewall installed and DHCP settings unless you want to run it dedicated IP.

It will run through a few more windows with some selections and then start installing. After your installation is complete you can unhook the monitor and keyboard. But if you ever have to reboot the machine. The keyboard must be plugged in or you will get an error on start-up from your bios.

Hope this helps a little. I know there is problably a much better and more detailed installation help section somewhere but this gives you some pointers.

Dermetzgermeister
November 22, 2005, 1:07 am
lol thanks for the very detailed thing.

but thats not what the problem is :P.

ive installed fedora core 2, with all the stuff i want. i changed the bios, so it will ignore all errors, such as a missing monitor and keyboard.

i have actually set up the soldat server, and can run and join it locally (havent tested from non local pc's yet).

just wondering how do i install screen via SSH, and this linux script by tank, also hoping for a link to screen for fedora core 2, as the GNU ftp sites are very shocking... most timout when i try to connect. i would prefer an rpm aswell.

aside from screen (ohh and this very noobie moment, when i thought the bash command ls was sumtin else :D ), it seems to work fyn.

thanks for everyone for their help, (though i didnt realli use it, couldnt connect to this forum for the past few days)

FliesLikeABrick
November 22, 2005, 2:00 am
1) install screen from an rpm or yast or whatever the crazy red hat package management system is
2) you dont need tank's script anymore because the server doesn't crash
3) if you're just looking to use screen to keep the server running, just use nohup
4) use debian :P