( search forums )
Visible Field of View
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
Michal
November 20, 2005, 1:45 am
Well, something like this has been suggested many times before, but I think it would really improve gameplay in realistic mode.

The basic idea is: What can or cannot be see in realistic mode should be somehow visually discernable.

This is a little rendition of mine, what can't be seen has the colour reduced (to 50%).
[IMAGE]

A visual indicator like this would make it immiediatly obvious that you have joined a realistic mode game.
But The main reason for such a thing, is for players to know exactly where they can or cannot see.

headstone
November 20, 2005, 2:26 am
Except, you can always see an enemy behind you unless they are behind something, so the marker would be huge and annoying... nice pic, though :p

Deleted User
November 20, 2005, 3:23 am
This is in realistic.

Deleted User
November 21, 2005, 8:40 pm
U are right many times before has been this suggested ...
...I am realistic mode playin player...
...but It looks like MM isnt makin anything to be realistic mod better...
...I would like it...as I said before...

Stern
November 22, 2005, 4:26 am
Um... It's ok, but it would be a pain. I like the 180 degree field of vision instead of the cone, but if it was changed, something like this would be nice. Preferably a little more transparent.

Veritas
November 22, 2005, 4:31 pm
A change in colours to indicate visibility? The hell, decrease the brightness of what you can't see instead, if you go [CENSORED]ing around with the colours it'll just get you some very annoying results.

But regardless, how are polys and scenery going to affected by this?

Deleted User
November 22, 2005, 5:10 pm
lol , I've got Idea right now.... does anybody know here Commandos ?
there is something like this and the enemy soldier didnt see u in some distance when u was crouchin or laying on ground but when u are standing he can see ya ...

Echo_Trail
November 22, 2005, 5:34 pm
commandos rox... the second one at least!

to get back on topic.. i think this idea is great! it should be selectable feature such as sniperline...

Keron Cyst
November 22, 2005, 6:54 pm
@Officer Bulbock: did you glance at the image without reading his text? He wants that to actually be what it looks like in-game (all area outside a soldat's line-of-sight is darkened). And I'm for it.

BTW, the view of a soldat in the game covers the 180ยบ of the side he's facing (left or right), not an angle, unfortunately. That would also be good to improve on.

Echo_Trail
November 22, 2005, 7:35 pm
he meant it as a reply to headstones post...

person
November 22, 2005, 7:49 pm
100% support for this or something like it.

Leo
November 22, 2005, 8:42 pm
Only with the option ON/OFF from soldat.ini :)

rabidhamster
November 23, 2005, 3:46 am
^of course.

btw, although this topic has been brought up many times, i still love the idea. maybe the area nonvisible would be at 80% brightness or something.

Stern
November 27, 2005, 4:49 pm
If this was done, the polies shouldn't be darkened (if possible). The people who make maps take great care to make prettiful looking polies, and I wouldn't want to see dimmed polies when I was playing with the FOV cone.

Michal
November 28, 2005, 1:01 am
quote:Originally posted by SternIf this was done, the polies shouldn't be darkened (if possible). The people who make maps take great care to make prettiful looking polies, and I wouldn't want to see dimmed polies when I was playing with the FOV cone.

Yeah, I was thinking that too, that's why I left the polys alone in the pic :P

Stern
November 28, 2005, 5:15 am
What I just noticed is that I'm having trouble telling if the area inside the fov cone is lighter/greener or if the area outside of it is darker/greyer. Maybe darken the area outside of the fov cone even more, so that you can see even better what your soldat can't see.