( search forums )
Constant servers?
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server Help
Deleted User
November 23, 2005, 7:04 am
It seems to me that alot of the servers are on constantly. Particually stuff like GODS pub servers. Is this possible, and how?

Vijchtidoodah
November 23, 2005, 7:07 am
Set up the game, leave the server on.

Deleted User
November 23, 2005, 7:17 am
Yeah, but then it can only run for a certain amount of time (I'm not stupid). What i'm thinking is something like it runs on the internet on some site or something.(?)

Vijchtidoodah
November 23, 2005, 7:53 am
Why would it only be able to run for a certain amount of time? If you had the time and patience, you could run that baby forever.

Leo
November 23, 2005, 8:33 am
For a pro 24/7/365 Soldat server you need a dedicated host. Means you have to pay for it ;)

Deleted User
November 23, 2005, 10:42 am
Oh, ok.
:Vijchtidoodah my computer is in my room (where I sleep) so you can't do it. And why do you link to some weird picture?

Yukwunhang
November 23, 2005, 11:09 am
quote:Originally posted by DezonusOh, ok.
:Vijchtidoodah my computer is in my room (where I sleep) so you can't do it. And why do you link to some weird picture?

Why can't you do it? Just leave the computer on.

DePhille
November 23, 2005, 12:22 pm
Buy a better CPU/PSU and (if you have one) GFX fan , doesn't cost as much as a Dediacted Server and I bet you won't even notice it running.
A good idea like i did is to buy a computer case with rubber contacts between the fans and all other hardware. Sometimes I let my PC running while sleeping (defragmenting disks etc.) and i don't even notice.

Make sure you got enough bandwidth to run a server , it uses a whole lot if your server is popular.

Grtz , DePhille

Rune
November 23, 2005, 1:32 pm
And make sure to run your server on some ultra-stable linux distribution so it never crashes

Deleted User
November 25, 2005, 6:41 am
quote:Originally posted by DePhilleBuy a better CPU/PSU and (if you have one) GFX fan , doesn't cost as much as a Dediacted Server and I bet you won't even notice it running.
A good idea like i did is to buy a computer case with rubber contacts between the fans and all other hardware. Sometimes I let my PC running while sleeping (defragmenting disks etc.) and i don't even notice.

Make sure you got enough bandwidth to run a server , it uses a whole lot if your server is popular.
I could run it for a long time, we have unlimited, But one big annoying problem. WIRELESS NETWORK!!! It disconects heaps, esspicially when you don't pay attention. And it would be to painful (mentally) for me to leave on. And I don't think I will buy one of those servers. I don't even have enough money to register, cause I got my eyes set on a USB Removable hardrive.