( search forums )
Desert Eagles
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Weapon Balance Discussion
Rooster
November 24, 2005, 3:23 pm
Warning longish balance post :)

I'm probably the most well known desert eagler in aus these days and i'm kind of hoping they get buffed in the next version.

Reason is because they are jut so difficult to use, i personally have mastered them and rarely miss in most situations, but i feel 3-4 is so difficult that even at times i get frustraited with them.

The fact that you require pin point aim 3-4 shots in a row at thier speed is frankly stupid for the range they're best at. I find myself constantly out gunned by the spas and ruger at range and up close but only just.

Not one person has mentioned them on this forum and i'm surprised. Hardly anyone uses them in Aus these days and it's not cause they're overpowered or balanced now is it?

They are truley a more diverse gun in 1.3 and i like that, i like the fact that they dont beat spas up close and everything at mid range cept ruger :). I have some ideas on what the gun needs to make it perfect, NOT to make it so i can kill 4 guys with one clip etc.

- Quicker reload
- 3 shots on all body parts (if possible)
- Or as an alternative, make the fire rate slightly faster.

After seeing noone uses these guns in 1.3 it's clear to me the balance of them is imperfect, obviously they arnt ment to beat everything at every range, and they are sposed to fit right in the middle nowdays but they could use a slight buff to further that, one that isnt going to make people go omfg deagles op'd again wtf.

Maybe with all the changes to other guns it will find it's perfect place but for the moment it hasnt.

Messiah
November 24, 2005, 4:56 pm
Man, deagles would be amazing if shots would register, basically it take about 5 shots to kill someone with deagles, due to nothing registering, the only time they register is when they get shot in the head or chest but the legs dont do anythingg and neither does the chest sometimes.

MisterX
November 24, 2005, 6:25 pm
I'm a full-time deagler, and I consider myself being a good one as well. But actually I don't have big problems with Deagles. They are weaker than most of the other weapons at the moment, that's true. But I don't think that's because they are underpowered. They were overpowered in 1.2.1, I guess most people know that. The problem now is that some weapons still are a bit too powerful, especially compared to the Deagles. So I don't think we should buff the Deagles, but nerf other weapons a little. For example the Ruger: Ruger is just easier, yet more powerful than the Deagles are, and even a little overpowered in general if you ask me. So if the weapons which are overpowered now, even if only a little, are nerfed, I guess the Deagles will be just fine.
And actually I gotta say, I'm very happy that my beloved favorites aren't overused anymore. I like feeling special ;)

Deleted User
November 24, 2005, 6:29 pm
I think they are just perfectly balanced,
and if you use them with soccom ... now that's
a deadly combination.

3rd_account
November 24, 2005, 9:53 pm
As it seems most of the guns will get a bit nerfed, and that should make deagles less underpowered in comparison. The biggest concern is that the hits doesn't always register. You could hit a guy five times and he might not even be bleeding.

rabidhamster
November 24, 2005, 11:21 pm
i would like a faster ROF, maybe 1 or 2 ticks faster, that'd be nice. i find that deagles take slightly longer to kill with than most other weapons.

Deleted User
November 25, 2005, 1:29 am
I think they are perfect. They just take some time to learn.

Koon
November 25, 2005, 4:42 am
I love the deagls but i sometimes find myself choosing the HK over them. I think they should be improved somewhat.

Vostok 4
November 26, 2005, 11:17 pm
After being a deagle user for over 80% of my 5000 kills I recorded on my old server in about a month, I have to say they are much worse in 1.3. I know that in 1.2.1 they were awesome, but now instead of going 4:1 or 3:1 I'm havin trouble gettin 1:1. They are just not powerful enough, and they need to reload faster.

The AK I never use anymore either due to bink, its just Minimi and MP5 people on any 1.3 server, thats why I play only on my 1.2.1 server now, its much more fun (and always full!) with the weapons working like they used to. Nothing seems unbalanced, no weapon is truly in command over the others, I see people owning with every single type of gun on the server constantly... don't know why it was changed :/

Stern
November 27, 2005, 8:36 pm
I feel that the only thing that the deagles need is a slightly less curved bullet path. They are strong enough, and the rate of fire is good (the reload could be a little faster), but what really brings them down is their overly curved bullet path.

MisterX
November 27, 2005, 11:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by SternI feel that the only thing that the deagles need is a slightly less curved bullet path. They are strong enough, and the rate of fire is good (the reload could be a little faster), but what really brings them down is their overly curved bullet path.

But this actually makes the deagles be unique. Like this the aiming is pretty challenging on longer distances. But as long as it isn't underpowered, that's just the way it should be in my opinion.

Deleted User
November 27, 2005, 11:47 pm
Yes, the curving bullets is what makes it unique. Ive been using deagles for a while now, and I feel like it has a really slow reload rate. :|

Ok
November 29, 2005, 9:42 am
Well deagles would indeed be amazing.
Messiah, here I thought it was something restricted to israelis :)
At first I thought it was just me, then I talked to bugs and apperently the same thing happens to him (I even played on his comp and noticed the same problem).
Unregistered hits happens with all weapons really but with the De's its just too much, you just see the shots go in, the man is standing infront of you and nothing happens.

Maybe that's why no one has talked about it, because they thought it was just them having a bad connection or something.

Well its not, unregistred hits are a major problem with De's, so much that they're almost useless.
I do play with them sometimes when facing a weak opponent, since I just love the sounds of them shooting ^_^

MisterX
November 29, 2005, 9:30 pm
Hm.. actually I haven't really had big problems with that, yet. For sure there are always unregistered hits, but I really didn't have bigger problems with this when using Deagles compared to other weapons. But also I mostly have a ping around 16-33, so maybe it isn't just Soldats general lag.

Zoltan_aus
December 2, 2005, 11:28 pm
Hey, I'm a friend of Roosters in Australia. I've been playing soldat for like 3 1/2 years and in all versions I have been a deagler. I was forced to take up spas in this new version because of its complete domination of deagles. It has pushback, more dmg, and more versatility in general. I still love taking out the deagles on noob clans now and then but it isn't really the same =/. I completely agree with rooster, a faster reload / firerate is needed OR a buff of dmg, we discussed how a clean 3 hit kill would work (head, body or legs). But yeah I think that should be looked into by the BETA testers.

Thanks

-zolt

XenocidE
December 3, 2005, 12:43 am
quote:Originally posted by ZambinoI think they are perfect. They just take some time to learn.

The Deagles are relatively perfect. The fact that most of the shots don't register is the only real main concern. Playing just last night I was getting 3 shot kills not problem (of course these were all head shots). It really just takes a great deal of practice and time to learn to use the Deagles efficiently. Maybe 1 or 2 points more dmg (with better registering of shots), but nothing else should be done with them.

I don't think you guys want the Deagles to be one of the strongest weapons in the game like they were in 1.2.1. Most of you guys should remember that 2 shot kills with DEs occured all the time with more skilled players.

Deleted User
December 3, 2005, 1:29 am
I like the deagles a lot, but I don't they can compare to most of the other weapons in 1.3. I like the idea of the 3 hits (head, body, or legs). I also feel that the ROF is perfect and just needs a slight increase in fire. A faster reload is a must, I find that in most situations it lacks in this department.

Deleted User
December 3, 2005, 4:32 am
Deagles are fine. The only problem is they don't register far too often.

person
December 3, 2005, 2:31 pm
I think 2 to the head, 3 to the rest would be a better way to go. That way you could probably keep them being as slow as they currently are.

And I seriously think that weakening all of the weapons is most definetly -NOT- (I can't stress that enough) the way to go.

And Zolt, I think you meant "destruction"... or something along those lines... rather than domination.

Zoltan_aus
December 4, 2005, 12:56 pm
Not really person. The other guns 'dominate' deagles in this version, it's a fact. But I still can't completely put them down because they are a personal favourite of mine and it kills me to see them so useless.

-zolt

vash763
December 4, 2005, 1:01 pm
I LIKE HOW ALL THESE PEOPLE ARE THE BEST WITH THIS GUN EVAR

They're fine, lower the reload

Rooster
December 4, 2005, 2:02 pm
He was referring to the spas dominating deagles i think.

_Mancer_
December 4, 2005, 5:01 pm
I only think the damage needs to go up a VERY VERY SMALL AMOUNT.

Rooster
December 4, 2005, 5:36 pm
Lets compare them to the ak.

Deagles:
- 7 bullets
- 3 hit kill for the headshot
- slow reload
- Arc'd bullets
Ak 74:
- 40 bullet clip
- 5 hit kill for head shot
- slow reload
- direct line of fire

Now personally i think most people are going to choose the gun that can get 8 kills in 1 clip over the one that can get 2 if you're lucky or incredibly experianced. They have aprox the exact same rate of fire aswell. the simplest of things could change deagles drastically, but i seriously think they need SOMTHING with socom getting nerfered deaglers are going to be rooted. even if it's one more bullet in the clip it would make them perfect i reakon! also sorry for double post :D

person
December 4, 2005, 8:06 pm
Oh sorry, my mistake Zolt :p

was late.

Deleted User
December 4, 2005, 11:31 pm
Ive been using deagles since I started Soldat, they have always been my favorite gun. Frankly, they're too weak. Its been said once, and im confirming this, they're the most weakest guns in soldat, thanks to the bugs we find in 1.3

For the love of god, pump them things some damage. I am absolutely sick, of it taking 5-6 shots when im hitting a guy from screen distance, or even mid distance for that matter. It would also be useful if they could somehow bink barrets more. I dont mind the reload, nor do I mind a slower fire rate, but damage is whats bothering me. If a few points is what it takes to make them do a solid 3 kill hit 90% of the time, then so be it.

frogboy
December 5, 2005, 5:57 am
I use Deagles a lot, and I feel that they're fine as is.

Tyrs_Hand
December 5, 2005, 8:45 am
Make the Ruger 2 hit clean kill and slower in between shots and have the deagles take the place that the ruger occupies now. Two good hits and they die, but most of the time three hits to kill so that that they don?t completely dominate with their high fire rate.

Zoltan_aus
December 5, 2005, 6:24 pm
Completely agree with you Tyrs (another Australian ;D). Will a BETA tester reply to this topic? By the looks of this topic the majority of people that use deagles want the damage buffed.

By the way, would it be possible to get an Australian BETA tester helping out? That way the soldat community over here in aus can give our thoughts through him. (Y)

There are quite a few responsible people that would most definitely wanna help out. Myself, Rooster and Tyrs Hand being three of them.

My msn / email - mattsta_623@hotmail.com

-zolt

MisterX
December 5, 2005, 7:36 pm
Well, at the moment there is nothing planned for buffing the Deagles. And I can only tell you my own opinion: I'm fine with the deagles the way they are in 1.3 :) And I also just don't want the Deagles to be overpowered it again. I really prefer if the weapon is a little less strong than other weapons, but not overused, overpowered and found lame, the way it was in 1.2.1. But to me it really still seems to be very effective. The only problem is that some other weapons are too powerful, which is going to be changed. Perhaps this is what makes the Deagles seem so weak.

And I doubt a beta tester for Australia is really needed. It's really not like we have different people of different countries, representing only their own nation. Also the comments written in this forums section aren't unseen. Each post has to be seen by at least one moderator anyway, so you can be sure of that :) We just can't angree to each single opinion written here. They differ very much partially (which needn't be a bad thing), and some are more thought-about than others. But in the end we're also just usual players and hope to make a good balance, which not only we like, but which anyone should be able to find "fair".

Deleted User
December 5, 2005, 8:31 pm
quote:Originally posted by MessiahMan, deagles would be amazing if shots would register, basically it take about 5 shots to kill someone with deagles, due to nothing registering, the only time they register is when they get shot in the head or chest but the legs dont do anythingg and neither does the chest sometimes.

That is the 1 problem with the Deagles, if hits registered they would be equal to the other guns in my opinion.

Deleted User
December 5, 2005, 9:21 pm
I agree with mostly everyone here but MisterX has a excellent point. There are other weapons which are overpowered, which makes deagles seem underpowered. Personally, when I have used deagles, ive noticed it usually takes 4-5 hits to kill, which is unacceptable for a weapon with a clip of 7. I would like to see guaranteed 3 and 4 shot kills on this weapon, however if the other weapons will be weakened, theres no point in touching this one :o.

SeanCapsAss
December 5, 2005, 11:49 pm
meh i use the spas all the time and shots dont register too, i don't think its a desert eagle specific problem

Algernon
December 6, 2005, 1:38 am
why can't we just up the damage on the weak weapons to match the already overpowered ones? i'm sick of all this nerfing and at this rate oldat is going to become a watered down boring game. it's going to become a game where it takes half a clip on an auto to take someone down. there should be a clearly definded hiarchy as to what weapons are the most powerful and at what ranges they are the most affective. by controling those two variables you can achieve balance instead of just reacting and over nerfing one weapon at a time only to find that the others are now overpowered by comparison.

i say that the deagles should be the 2nd most powerful gun in the game (bar the m79 and barret), second to the spaz. IMO, the spaz should be 2 shot kill and the deagles should be 3 shot kill. the spaz should have less range due to slower bullet speed but a shorter firing interval, where as the deagles should have a greater range. also, deagle range should be < auto range.

Deleted User
December 6, 2005, 1:54 am
I use spas alot and see almost all my hits register, I guess the desert eagles just hate me.

@Poop-They can kill in 3 maybe even 2.

Deleted User
December 6, 2005, 12:24 pm
Another thing about the DEs is that they're really more specific in when they're useful or not than other guns are. The curve of the bullets makes them great for places with lots of uneven terrain (I tend to use'm in Ratcave and HH), but you're definitely better off with an auto in more level playing fields, especially when there's wide open areas.

...Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing the DEs beefed a slight bit in power, though. I also see a lot of red flags going up soon, since it sounds like there's going to be a good bit of nerfing going on, while a lot of people would rather see weapons made stronger in order to achieve a balance (not to say that I do, though...). Exactly which weapons are you referring to as "overpowered", MisterX?

Rooster
December 6, 2005, 1:52 pm
I seriously hope 1.3.1 is fun cause 1.3 sure isnt for alot of people. Somtimes you have to sit back and wonder if you are over complicating the game. I trust the beta testers are doing what's right for the community as a whole and not just their own opinion that 'the deagles were/are fine in 1.3 so we'll keep it that way'. At the end of the day i dont want to take 10 seconds to kill 1 soldiet with my weapon of choice.

Like Mr x said this section is being watched and so forth, i only ask that you take some opinions into account and have a tinker with the gun instead of deciding that it's fine when there is some obvious kinks in it and in 1.3. By the way i'm not taking a stab at the beta team or anything like that i'm just trying to help, i want soldat to be perfectly balanced, and if you guys think making other guns worse will make them better that's cool in my books but i just hope it doesnt slow the game down by weakening all the other weapons and that you truley take some ideas into account.

person
December 6, 2005, 4:08 pm
As I feel it seriously needs to be taken into account, I'm just going to say that I agree wholly with Rooster and Algernon on the general issue of balancing the weapons for 1.3.1.

On something else, brought up recently... I think beta testing positions actually SHOULD be distributed to people from various locations as a representative for those people. That would work out to be ultimately better in my opinion, as the people selected would be familiar with their community and can help to express this in the balancing for later versions.

Zoltan_aus
December 6, 2005, 4:31 pm
I was in the testing server for the new version, I must say it has been done excellently. The deagles are average, I still think 2-3% more damage wouldn't go far astray but in the end its up to you guys.

(y)

-zolt

Deleted User
December 7, 2005, 11:16 pm
Just for the record, deagles CAN kill in 2 shots. You have to shoot straight down at the person or close to it, though.

DeafBox
December 9, 2005, 10:07 am
lol whats with australians posting randomly in this topic :)

Btw i dont mind the weap balance as it is now. Wouldnt really touch it other than returning the law to normal.