( search forums )
Drammy's first Soldat partial-mod (NS - TSA)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Interface Mods & Mod Making - Show off your partially 1337 mods!
Dramavian
February 26, 2003, 1:11 pm
Here is my first attempt at making a partial-mod for Soldat...and as such..be as critical/insightful as you want...its the only way i'll learn.

This is set to the theme of the TSA Frontiersmen from the Half-Life mod Natural-Selection.

All images that are contained within have been edited by permission from Flayra and are the property of Natural-Selection.

First up is a screenshot of the in-game modified user-interface.

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] TSA.jpg21.97 KB

Next is a screenshot of the pickup-boxes that have been modified.

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] Replacements.jpg14.26 KB

Known Issues:
1. The vest replacement is absolutely ugly..due to the image being resized down to 16x16 from an in-game 1024x768 shot of dropped Heavy Armour (you can still kinda see it in the 16x16 if you look hard enuff)

2. Transparency doesnt show for the pickup-boxes (duh) however I set the boxes outline to green because it seemed highlit it better than the standard white..

3. Since the TSA logo is inside back.gif it seems to cause problems when picking up beserk, flamer and predator boxes (the logo will become very large, half-cut off and different colours) ...its still playable..just..a rather big annoyance that i wish to address soon.

4. (Lol can't believed I left this out last edit). The bullet-reload.gif is another .gif that im simply not happy with at the moment...any attempts to get it to a nice level of contrast have been a failure...i'll be working on this again tomorrow..I need sleep =p

With all that said and done, here's the download file, unzip the NS - TSA folder to your custom-interfaces folder for Soldat..and extract the box replacements (the ones you want that is) in your Soldat\textures\Objects directory.

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] NS - TSA.zip24.6 KB

N1nj@
February 26, 2003, 9:13 pm
holy [:-censored]!....some some nice graphics...and nice sig btw

illicyx
February 26, 2003, 9:24 pm
I used to play NS...made alot of skins etc...

Name was 'ctx'.

Looks alright so far.

Yardbomb
February 26, 2003, 9:50 pm
ctx, is this where you've been hiding?
You were awesome at skinning!

illicyx
February 26, 2003, 9:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by Yardbomb
ctx, is this where you've been hiding?
You were awesome at skinning!

[;)]

mateenjahanmiry
February 27, 2003, 12:04 am
WOW, THAT HAS TOO BE THE BEST INTERFACE I'VE SEEN SO FAR!!

Dramavian
February 27, 2003, 12:15 am
Lol, well i can't take any credit for the images I used. Most (all but the TSA logo contained in back.gif, which was taken from the NS manual) have been extraced from game screenshots and just edited pixel-by-pixel to add the 255 green transparency and such.

Thanks for your comments guys, im currently working on the next version of this interface, trying to fix the problems ive stated on my first post.

I dont think i'll ever make a user-interface that i've drawn myself...for i can't draw for crap.

Ideas ive been throwing around for next interfaces:
NS - Kharaa (and possibly a fitting version of the pickup-boxes)
Little Fighter 2 (will have to obtain permission to edit in-game images..just in case)

Oh and if you want the linkage to the NS mod homepage its: www.natural-selection.org

[EDIT] My sig was made by a fellow NS clan member, goes by the name of Carbon14...like i've just said..my own artistic abilites sux0r =p [/EDIT]

mateenjahanmiry
February 27, 2003, 12:18 am
to tell you the truth, that's what most great interfaces and mods come from. usually pics. from other games, but sometimes other people do make them, yet that's not always. they usually turn out crappy, some of them are just real talented, so you should get as much credit becuz u made a nice mod

Dramavian
February 27, 2003, 12:27 am
woo thanks :D

illicyx
February 27, 2003, 1:11 am
The replacements are a bit blurry, I would suggest making them a little sharper.

Dramavian
February 27, 2003, 2:21 am
Ill try illicyx, (can't do it now, sister is using my computer...bah)

Anyway..

Slight Update.

Re-arranged the layout of the interface a little (the ammo text was overlapping the fire-bar)

Resized the TSA logo (by half) in back.gif (it still obscures view with bonuses...not quite as bad i s'pose....if only back.gif was seperate from what shows up when bonuses are picked up =/)

Added a TSA arrow.gif, its 6 pixels wider and larger than the standard (made it that way cause 10x10 made the arror rather fugly).

I fiddled around with the ammo-reload bar again....made it even worse...decided to stick with the originally uploaded version of it.

I'm still new to this whole ripping-images-and-then-editing-them thing...this is more of a way for me to learn all that PSP 7.0 can do...haven't really learnt much so far...but i'm getting there...slowly..

Screenshot of the updated interface:

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] update.jpg38.44 KB

And the updated files:

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] update.zip2.47 KB

Dramavian
February 27, 2003, 2:50 am
Ooer...I luv your sig/avatar n1nj@

Planning has begun for the Kharaa version of this part-mod (interface and some of the bonuses).

...Today is my day off from the school life so i've got all day to work on it...that is...when my sister gets off The Sims...grrr.

If you have any requests for this part-mod or the Kharaa part-mod please post them and i'll see what I can do...I think I've found my new hobby [:D]

[EDIT] Update2

Taking up illicyx suggestion i've gone back and sharpened all 5 of the kit images. I've removed the green and replaced it with pitch black...easier on the eyes and all that..

The vestkit has been changed again, this time the HA screenshot has been removed and instead been replaced with the commander-mode HA icon (why didnt i think of that before?)

No screenshot this time around i'm afraid (it was over 100 KB in size after all), but the updated .zip itself is small anyhow...

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] Update2.zip4.15 KB

Well...back I go to get images for the Kharaa interface.
[/EDIT]

N1nj@
February 27, 2003, 8:58 pm
thanks Dramavian...taht i made it myself..
once again...nice update

ClanKwH
March 18, 2003, 3:58 pm
Damn it just destroyed my Soldat!

Smut peddelers
March 18, 2003, 4:14 pm
hey at last someone from denmark dude whats you MSN?

N1nj@
March 18, 2003, 9:55 pm
darkespionage@hotmail.com

qtR`
March 19, 2003, 5:30 pm
Hey im from Denmark too!!!

Abortion
March 19, 2003, 10:21 pm
ClanKwH - WHat do u mean?

N1nj@
March 20, 2003, 11:36 pm
i think he mean he dont like it...and he cant get back his orgininal file back