( search forums )
Backstory fun thread :D
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Deleted User
November 26, 2005, 10:58 pm
One of the best things about Soldat is the lack of a plot or backstory. But if you could, what backstory would you give it?
Just wondered what you thought :D

lieroguy
November 26, 2005, 11:09 pm
It's tough to give stories to games like Soldat, since it's tough to realistically explain respawn...

I would probably make it something along the lines of reason for an entire world to be up in war... though, again, the realistic weapons of today make such apocalyptic claims to seem a little unrealistic...

You could just call it a "battle simulator" and leave it at that, where there is simply no reason for there to be a story because it's there for you do to your own thing.

Deleted User
November 26, 2005, 11:13 pm
Perhaps...

A huge tournament where tough soldiers come to duke it out for some grand prize. And given awesome hi-tech respawn device to avoid permanent death...I guess...Meh it's just a thought.

lieroguy
November 26, 2005, 11:15 pm
So basically Unreal Tournament, eh?

Deleted User
November 26, 2005, 11:17 pm
"in 2445 in an effort to control deep space mining..." - UT
use the unreal tournament story :P

Deleted User
November 26, 2005, 11:45 pm
Yes, Since I'm so orinigal, the Unreal Tournament story :\

reckon
November 26, 2005, 11:59 pm
Well my soldier has a halo, so he is an undead warrior fighting in a tournament to get his life back!

Deleted User
November 27, 2005, 12:02 am
sorry, i didn't read your post :P

Captain Ben
November 27, 2005, 12:06 am
The year is 1971, where people used to shoot each other and come back to life for fun. Everyone should know that by now!

Deleted User
November 27, 2005, 12:38 am
It should be like serious sam, and it's in a alternate reality

Deleted User
November 27, 2005, 12:42 am
There was once a little boy named Solda.
He was a good boy who loved oranges. One day he went to his grandmas house,
where she baked him a few ginger bread man cookies. He ate some, but then his teeh exploded.
His grandma then pulled an auto gun out of her pocket, and gave the little boy a chocolate bar.

Kill, kill, kill.

No, i don't have any ideas.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
November 27, 2005, 1:14 am
It's Quake style:
A couple of guys decided to kill each other and you can be one of them.

:p

Deleted User
November 27, 2005, 1:26 am
F.E.A.R story ftw

Kaider
November 27, 2005, 4:22 am
quote:Originally posted by semagae"in 2445 in an effort to control deep space mining..." - UT
use the unreal tournament story :P

Lol semagae.

I say that the story is that it's a virtual reality game. You are playing a game within a game.

vash763
November 27, 2005, 4:29 am
I love captain ben now

Social Poison
November 27, 2005, 9:01 am
Generally speaking stuff like respawn is kind of hand-waved at when it comes to games and their backstories. A lot of MMOs have come up with creative ways for explaining it... but I'd just say "screw it" all together... and pretend respawning doesn't exist for the case of the backstory (or any story for that matter).

Respawns and ressurrects make for stupid plothole type stuff when you think in game mechanics apply to storyline in all instances. *cough*Aerisneedsapheonixdown*cough*

Deleted User
November 27, 2005, 9:39 am
lol yeha i was thinking that when is it happend, phh aeries is dead again, throw her a pheaonix down...ah its not working....oh [CENSORED] the fuzz scramble :P

any way my idea.
the date is october 2001 (random date, significance later). russia and america, joined by there respected allies, wage a secret war. the rules are set, 16 a side , with a limited choice of weapons. november 2001, a recorded 20000 dead. relising the un-needed loss of life, with michal moore hot on theyre tracks ,the RAWBPC (russia and america war backup plan commity) find the 5 best programmers in the world and face them against eachother in a both physical and mental contest of prowess. one of these 5 is a young boy by the name Michal Marcinkowsk, a geneticly engineered human of 50 years in the making made by a crack team of scientists espiecally for this competition after making a time machine that coincidently took them to the start of this competition.
the competition was set and the contest was on. the first challenge, jump 3 times your own hieght. the second, launch yourself with an explosive with no protection. the third, heal your self to full capacity with a common first aid kit. and thourth carry an unlimited amount of ammo with you. Michal ,being geneticly engineerd and the only one alive after the other competiteers died horrible bloody deaths on the second challenge, won.
michal then set out on making his game, and soldat was completed in michals own image in 6 days, and michal said "this is good" and rested on the 7th. before devoting himself to banishing all the bugs of soldat as a result of finishing it in 6 days.
Now with the program in place the military of the world realise an important lesson. soldiers are [CENSORED]house on the computer. the governments of the world now turn to the children, the only computer literate generation to wage this war.
MeanWhile, walking home from school you are approached by a strange man, he opens his hands to reveal a red and a blue pill. he begins to speak " the red makes you an elite soldier in the world struggle against good and evil, making you a hero and a god among men. the blue is a razor blade concealed in a capsule that will lead you to the hospital with internal bleeding. choose now"
The call is heroism, DO YOU ACCEPT THE CHARGES.

Leo Da Lunerfox
November 27, 2005, 10:50 am
I take the red pill SIR!

Deleted User
November 27, 2005, 11:29 am
quote:Originally posted by EnEsCeF.E.A.R story ftw

The story sucked massive amounts of [CENSORED], as did the rest of the game.

metal123
November 27, 2005, 12:07 pm
Heres the best story line so far "It's Quake style:
A couple of guys decided to kill each other and you can be one of them."
straught from the manual!

p.s. Ville mk.2 take that back!

TheFunktopus
November 27, 2005, 2:06 pm
In A.D. 2012 war was beginning. Some Cats dude set up us the bomb, we get signal. All our base are belong to Cats dude, we have no chance of survive, so we make our time killing each other.

Deleted User
November 27, 2005, 11:51 pm
A bunch of guys suddenly realized that there were no women around, and so they abruptly shot each other to release their sexual frustrations.

Echo_Trail
November 28, 2005, 12:38 am
quote:Originally posted by lieroguyIt's tough to give stories to games like Soldat, since it's tough to realistically explain respawn...

No, it's not..

early morning it was. Still tired, he woke up. That darn watch was beeping like hell. It was one of those cartoony moments, where all you really ask for is a giant hammer..
Well, as he stumbelt halfway into the bathroom door, he remembered: that chick, the night before.. She was dead. Probably still lying soaked on blood in that back alley on River St.
The Hangovers was unbearable, and it seemed like forever to fill that glass with water.. Why bother anyway, it wouldn't do [CENSORED] to his headache.. He dragged himself to the window.
The bleak day licked his face, like you like a postagestamp. In the end you know it's just going to be thrown out along with the envelope. That's how I felt. my name is Trail, Echo Trail! I'm a private eye.
It was half night before i dared enter the outside.. or the unsafe as i often referred to it on my own. A guy like my knows nothing about lonelyness. it's a term used by infidellic fellahs, wandering around, boozing on their selfpitty. how describing.

I followed the shadows along the narrow corridor. Always keeping an eye over the shoulder. In Soldat City, u never know what is at hand..
I keep my friends close, but my enemies closer! at my left hand i have my scotch. It keeps me loaded, and at my right i keep my SOCOM.. I keep IT loaded. in soldat city, anyone who stays out of trouble, asks for it.
That night, she came to me as i was sitting lonely in the corner at o'berrys.. i like it there.. people keeps their to themselves.
That night was different.. she walked by, as if paid to do so..
She looked at me, asking for a match..
She sat down besides me, and i lid her her smoke. She blew the hot smoke straight to my face. The way that would usually be damn irritating, but in such sexy way.. I was hooked at the sec.
I fealt the warmph grow in me.. She said she'd be right back, and she entered the ladies room..
After 20 minutes i senced something might be wrong.. That moment i scream is heard.. No doubt it was her..
I got up, dragged my SOCOM, and went towards the door.. People was terrefied, and was slowly disapearing out the entrance. I kicked in the door, but she was gone. It seemed she had been taken with great force.. there was blood on the floor, and a window was broken. A piece of her red dress was torn on the frame. I jumped out, and there was these two gorillas pointing theyr guns ad me. One was holding a mp5 - the Hekler & Koch model.. the other had himself a couple of desert Eagles. the were up to no good. It a split second i drew my buddy, and within the bink of an eye, i made multi kill..
I continued down the corridor, and there she was..God, she was beautifull.. like nothing i'd ever seen before..
Her throat had been slit, and the blood mixed with the pooring rain.
I wondered who had pulled this course upon her..
I kissed her gently.. At that moment the cops showed up..
Guess who was acusedm of the kill?
Turned up that young girl was someone, and i soon had a price on my head.
The entire Bravo Police force was on my tail. Apearently she was with the Alpha ConLiatti family, cause theres was 1 million$ in reward on my head.
I went underground for half a year.. i stayed in my sisters summer cabbin in BigRif County. I did alot of research, and i later found out that the Charlie Mob had taken care of her.. Probable to upset the ConLiatti Family.. Her name was Mia ConLiatti - the daughter of the Big Boss..
Well, as the months passed by, i figured the situation was under control, but i was wrong.
I went to my sisters place.. you know, just to inform her of my suburban return. somehow they'd gotten to her.. she was.. everywhere..
I stebbed outside.. feeling sick. The rain hit my face, as if snet for a purpose of calming me, but there was no turning back now.
They all had to die, even if it meant i had to go down with'em..
Things were gonna blow up now, and i knew that would mean arriving of the Military Delta Department, but none of this mattered no mroe..
Blood was about to flood the streets of Soldat City Once again..
It was early morning as i headed towards the Charlie mobster HQ..
The sweet fume of anger and revenge was in the air.. I went in the back door, and i pulled the trigger..

o_O

Captain Ben
November 28, 2005, 12:59 am
SOunds a bit too Sin City-esque for me...

Echo_Trail
November 28, 2005, 1:04 am
I confess! Just saw it today!...

Captain Ben
November 28, 2005, 1:15 am
You can practically tell when you read the first half of the opening paragraph :D
I like it when he handcuffs the cannibal, though.

shoover
November 28, 2005, 3:40 am
I have a list, which one?:

1. Soldat, Mike was bored, now u wont be
2. Soldat, its another noob fighting, gun shooting, pointless freeware shooting game.
3. Soldat, where stars are born, ones that you see after u get pwned!
4. Soldat, a 2-d multiplayer shooting game, im sorry...
5. Soldat, where a friend told you, in which that friend stinks at the game
6. Soldat, we're scam free! erm spam!.. free.

Lord Boxtop
November 28, 2005, 6:42 am
"One day, you decided to kill people. The End." Short, sweet, and to the point.

Cookie.
November 28, 2005, 7:08 am
I think Soldat would be around during the Vietnam war, all around asia.

This is how the story would go: In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the Soldats!

Basically they would be fighting evil doers all over asia :P

Hence maps named viet, laos, and cambodia

FTW :D

-Edit-
If its not the A-Team, the backstory atleast takes place in Asia, perhaps with 2 different countries fighting war :)

Echo_Trail
November 28, 2005, 7:13 am
i think that's the original story behind it as well.. considering the rambo theme and all!

Hey Cook.. What's the yellow thing on you sig? looks like C3PO!

Cookie.
November 28, 2005, 7:35 pm
What the [CENSORED] why does everyone think it is c3po :'( he has a tail, its obviously a tiger that the panda army has captured :)

Veritas
November 28, 2005, 8:02 pm
quote:Originally posted by Officer_BulbockOne of the best things about Soldat is the lack of a plot or backstory. But if you could, what backstory would you give it?
Just wondered what you thought :D

There would have to be a backstory (or fluff as it's also known) for every single map, having one single backstory for everything would either create insane plot holes or fluff clashes.

The Geologist
November 28, 2005, 8:06 pm
quote:Originally posted by SwazoA bunch of guys suddenly realized that there were no women around, and so they abruptly shot each other to release their sexual frustrations.

ftw!