( search forums )
Jumping off walls
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
Stern
November 27, 2005, 4:44 am
I know that this isn't mario or anything, but I always find it annoying when I have to quickly change direction in a tunnel. Wouldn't it be cool if you could run up to a wall, jump off of it, and blow the hell out of the guy who follows you? He would never know what hit him! Also, it would look cool as hell.

Deleted User
November 27, 2005, 9:41 am
maybe if it was with jets and it took a bit or alot off your jet fuel

numgun
November 27, 2005, 11:27 am
this guy is talikng about a thing called wall-jump:

1.run and jump against a wall
2.right when u hit the wall press the jump button again
3.the soldat jumps off into the diffirent direction
4.can be repeated on another wall

m00`
November 27, 2005, 11:34 am
just like N! :D

November 27, 2005, 12:19 pm
And in tight spaces, bugs will occur.

I mean, you bounce off the wall, then you are stuck with virtually no space, so it's bounce, bounce... bounce.. get stuck in poly, bounce...

Captain Ben
November 27, 2005, 1:25 pm
Michal said that he was considering making a wall cling. Not for long, only a couple of seconds.
Personally, I think it should be completely on timing. You need to press the right button at the right time.

Deleted User
November 27, 2005, 4:05 pm
SO what your syaing Ben is it would take a little bit of skill to master. I personally like the idea, makes it harder for you to be hit with something like a barret or M79.

Stern
November 27, 2005, 4:34 pm
Yes, m00, it would be like N, except you wouldn't be able to slowly slide down the walls. Once you jumped into the wall, you would press the jump button and the arrow key in the opposite direction. You would have to do this exactly (with a little bit of leeway, of course) when you hit the wall, and you would push off. It would be useful for quick turns in a tunnel, or dodging another player's bullets.

Yuth
November 27, 2005, 8:38 pm
Fun *Thumb Up*

Kaider
November 28, 2005, 12:01 am
quote:Originally posted by Captain Ben
Personally, I think it should be completely on timing. You need to press the right button at the right time.

Captain Ben
November 28, 2005, 1:05 am
There has to be atleast some level of skill when doing it... It should be like the backflip (if you have good timing, you can flip off at different angles), if you don't want to use it, you don't have to.

Stern
November 29, 2005, 12:42 am
Well, not at different angles. The angle to the wall that you approached at would be the same as the angle you shot away at. So if you went straight at the wall, you could bounce backwards! HOT!

Captain Ben
November 29, 2005, 12:58 am
I was using the backflip as an example of the different results you can get with your timing, just as an example for the wall jump, considering it would be kinda [CENSORED]ty if all you had to do while speeding into a wall is hold down left/right and jump while still in the air.

Stern
November 29, 2005, 2:35 am
You'd have to press the jump button right when your soldat hit the wall. How would you do variation though?

Deleted User
November 29, 2005, 12:47 pm
I can see this idea happening. Would give me a chance to take my wall jumping skills from Metroid and use'm in Soldat... Although I doubt there'll be anything like wall jumping up a single wall, etc.

Stern
November 29, 2005, 9:34 pm
Well, that might be possible if you were running really fast, jumped off a wall, and jetted back to it and jumped off of it again.

For the wall jump to work, you should be going pretty fast. If you are going fairly slowly and try it, you should just hit the wall and not jump off of it.

Captain Ben
November 30, 2005, 6:17 am
quote:Originally posted by SternYou'd have to press the jump button right when your soldat hit the wall. How would you do variation though?

quote:Originally posted by Captain BenI was using the backflip as an example of the different results you can get with your timing, just as an example for the wall jump, considering it would be kinda [CENSORED]ty if all you had to do while speeding into a wall is hold down left/right and jump while still in the air.

Tybs
November 30, 2005, 9:05 am
I like this idea... just wondering though, how do u turn around 180 degrees after jumping off the wall? I mean in a bit (notice: a BIT) realistic way... do u just push off the wall with extra force on one leg so u spin around and get the 180 that way, or was the idea to jump off with some kind of half-backflip so u end up with ur body turned upside-down, shooting a bit, and finishing the move with another half-backflip to get ur feet on the ground (instead of ur head)?

Deleted User
December 1, 2005, 12:28 pm
Really, it'd be more like sideways, using one leg to propel yourself from the first wall, and the other leg for the other wall.

Additionally, the speed you're running at should affect how far and how quickly you're propelled off of the wall.

CottonTheMoth
December 2, 2005, 3:09 am
Woah...you could weave through stuff like this :D
[IMAGE]

Jarvis
December 3, 2005, 12:07 pm
I was thinking about something like this the other day...

Rabble
December 3, 2005, 9:32 pm
i think this idea could be implemented, but it would be hard to prevent getting suck in polys. I think it would be especially awsome if you could jump off the wall then backflip, it would be like a matrix move. Would add a great new angle of playing to the game.

Keron Cyst
December 3, 2005, 9:54 pm
Unrealistic Mode, I keep saying...