( search forums )
The lack of knowledge supplyed here.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Interface Mods & Mod Making - General Discussions
GAMEOVER
November 28, 2005, 12:20 am
I was browsing through the map sections and seen a lot of real nice tutorials on shading, etc. Why dont we have any how to tutorials in here for mod makers that cater for both expierenced and not so expierenced modders. I know id love to see a how to shade weapons correctly type tutorial for im not an artist and thats just to get started theres plenty of tutorials that can be made by you better modders. [cough] papasmurf31, serial killer, FMB, Michal etc etc [/cough] ;]

Echo_Trail
November 28, 2005, 12:42 am
yeah.. we should do that.. with all kinds of editing..
maps, mods etc.!

Deleted User
November 28, 2005, 12:59 am
Because modders never reveal their secrets, especially to people like you.

GAMEOVER
November 28, 2005, 2:03 am
quote:Originally posted by aznbl00dBecause modders never reveal their secrets, especially to people like you.

wtf is that supose to mean, way to encourage people to mod your nothing special so stop acting like you are.. what an idiot. Thats just like me saying your mods are crap and your skills as a player are even worse but instead of me giving you pointers ill just sit back and laugh at how bad you suck. Some asset to the community you are..

BFG
November 28, 2005, 5:15 am
Nice Nice The idea is nice but how would you do this? ever a new thread 1 billion post to this and so on, i cant believe that this will gonna end in happieness

GAMEOVER
November 28, 2005, 5:20 am
All you have to do is look and see all the nice tutorials in the maps sections by good mappers, it just sucks not to see mod tutorials in the mod section. I sure could use some help/tips on shading.

Deleted User
November 28, 2005, 5:22 am
Look first and then ask.

http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=4802

Deleted User
November 28, 2005, 10:28 am
I quess every single modder have his own style so it's hard to say how u should make mods...
...just try urself again and again ...it isn't that hard.

Or just watch others work with max zoom and look on poxel by pixel work...

Deleted User
November 28, 2005, 11:13 am
Its not necessary. Setup your Weapons, make your pictures and its done. If you can't do that, then I don't know why you post here.

Deleted User
November 28, 2005, 2:22 pm
quote:Originally posted by DezonusIts not necessary. Setup your Weapons, make your pictures and its done. If you can't do that, then I don't know why you post here.

When u don't want help,then I don't know why you post here.

GAMEOVER
November 28, 2005, 3:14 pm
I am just lousy at shading .

Deleted User
November 28, 2005, 3:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by GAMEOVERI am just lousy at shading .

Everyone is at the beggining,
just keep on working and experiment with the colours.

Keron Cyst
November 28, 2005, 6:44 pm
Shading? Eh, it's all about hitting Alt + C-E-D while in Paint and tweaking Lumination by 10, 20, or 30, depending on how drastic you want the shading to be every pixel you pass. It's really simple if you just want to shade plain horizontally/vertically.

reckon
November 28, 2005, 8:09 pm
Keron beat me to it.
Its not overly hard, just time consuming.

Deleted User
November 28, 2005, 8:54 pm
It's not time consuming if you do it right/you are awesome.

November 29, 2005, 12:43 pm
number 1: never ask ANYONE for help if you don't know any basics (i.e, using MS paint, not flaming about how Photoshop is a better modding program (IMHO no))

number 2: don't flame numgun, he's special in his own way. least he can make a good mod.

number 3: for shading, just practice on making palettes. Start with the darkest version of a colour you want and then get the brightest version you want. Then go into the colour editer and increase the darkest version's lum by any interval (10 or 5 suits me, 20 for drastic, 5 for incredibly detailed)

palettes rock.

GAMEOVER
November 30, 2005, 4:35 am
I dont understand why Photoshop gets bashed a lot when it can do everything ms paint can x100 more. This isnt being directed at anyone I just hear it a lot. I have a full version of the latest CS2 and it seems really need however its really advanced with enough options just to overwhelm you in itself. Im learning PS now so I can move on and use the 3d Max I just have sitting on my comp unused. I know people who would kill for that software yet it sits in the hand of what is now an inexpierenced designer I guess you could say. I guess thats life though. I wont let such expensive programs sit around when I can be learning from them.

November 30, 2005, 8:19 am
exactly what i mean.

You do not understand the fact that Photoshop had absolutely no good features in it, that paint doesn't already have. It's paintbrush is a block ffs. FFS.

and 3dsmax is not worth the effort. I stress the fact that it DOES NOT MAKE LIFE EASIER.

In fact, it's basically getting the computer to shade it for you, you wouldn't be doing any artwork apart from either a) ripping a map out of a game or b) making one yourself.

Either way, i don't believe in it for anything except for different angled pics.

Deleted User
November 30, 2005, 11:06 am
Paint shop pro kicks paints ass. I should make one of my guns bullets Neon green or pink (green would have problems though)

December 1, 2005, 7:20 am
well, i can't afford anything lest it be freeware.

Anyway, once anyone realise that photoshop isn't any better at shading than paint/paint shop pro (watever that be), then they will also realise that using the shading tool in Photoshop will screw up the invisible green.

GAMEOVER
December 2, 2005, 12:31 am
Well PS CS2 that I have now its easyer to shade stuff for me because it has tools like smudge etc not to mention the 100s of brushes out there for it. If 3dsmax was garbage or too complicated then why do all the high end designers/artists use it? You can go to pixel2life.com which is where ive been going the last 2 days and find really simple step by step tutorials for both programs.

Deleted User
December 2, 2005, 1:26 am
quote:If 3dsmax was garbage or too complicated then why do all the high end designers/artists use it?

Because they have a job in which they do not hang around forums asking for advice on pixel art. Instead, they design high-end 3D models and graphics, much larger than your standard 20 by 60 pixel interface graphic for Soldat.

GAMEOVER
December 2, 2005, 4:22 am
I didnt mean I had 3dsmax to mod soldat lol I actually have it to make 3d renders which im learning.