( search forums )
CTF Topguns
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Veritas
November 28, 2005, 5:44 pm
I had one crazy motherf*cking idea and since it would be so easy to make a map out of it, that's what I did.

[IMAGE]

It's rather small and simple, for 4-6 players per team, the whole idea is for it to be a pure dogfight, the best aerial fighter wins.

Anyway, to prevent camping of the only two chunks of polys I made them into "hurts" polys, and surrounded the flags with colliders to prevent players from "pushing" the flags off their platforms, med-kits and nade crates rain from the heavens.

Don't worry about running out of fuel, what you spawn with should last an hour (or more, I haven't tested it yet) and if you go out of bounds you'll just respawn anyway, no death polys.

No way points, I've got no idea how you'd waypoint a map like this, but if anyone of you wants to give it a try then feel free to do so.

Download it here: http://m00.laughingllamas.com/fileupload/?act=dl&file=Y3RmX1RvcGd1bnMuUE1T

Keron Cyst
November 28, 2005, 6:33 pm
quote:Originally posted by Veritas... No way points, I've got no idea how you'd waypoint a map like this...

Mwahahahaha. Don't underestimate me. All I need to know is what the jet fuel limit is.

Deleted User
November 28, 2005, 6:50 pm
If the map is that small as you say, you basicly
do not need waypoints, as the bots
will see each other and start fighting...

The Geologist
November 28, 2005, 6:52 pm
Meh...interesting concept but I doubt its playability.

OutofOrder
November 28, 2005, 7:14 pm
i like how the clouds in the middle overlap
btw your link is wrong!
http://m00.laughingllamas.com/fileupload/?act=dl&file=Y3RmX1RvcGd1bnMuUE1T
that's the one where you download it.

quote:Originally posted by Veritas...surrounded the flags with colliders to prevent players from "pushing" the flags off their platforms...

barrets ignore the collider effects :X

you could just spread around the spawn points to make camping non profitable :D

Eoi
November 28, 2005, 7:18 pm
Add more skill, instead of hurtig polygons they are deadly
this means you have to hover over it to get the flag an not touch the base

Otherwise, nice map

Veritas
November 28, 2005, 7:29 pm
quote:Originally posted by EoiAdd more skill, instead of hurtig polygons they are deadly
this means you have to hover over it to get the flag an not touch the base

If you jet at the same time as you're "standing" on hurts polys they don't hurt you. But anyway, why the hell would anyone stay more than a second in the enemy flag-spawn? And hovering takes more skill anyway, so wtf are you talking about?

quote:Mwahahahaha. Don't underestimate me. All I need to know is what the jet fuel limit is.

Three-thousand-two-hundred-something, good luck.

Cookie.
November 28, 2005, 7:37 pm
You could make it so it has unlimited jets O_o if you wanted xD Seems like it would be lots of fun, no dancing around polygons just aim :D Besides that the layout is nice and simple lol, and I dig the shading :P Get it on a server and im good :P

Veritas
November 28, 2005, 7:56 pm
quote:You could make it so it has unlimited jets O_o if you wanted

I chose "infinite" from Polyworks dropdown menu, but after flying around a while I kinda get the impression that it isn't unlimited, and when you open it up in Polyworks it says "Custom - 32xx".

nfsjunkie91
November 29, 2005, 2:01 am
i blieve the vlae is 32766, something like half of 65355, which is like the highest some bit value, highest port value at least, looks fairly decent, what font r u using?

Cookie.
November 29, 2005, 4:26 am
quote:Originally posted by Veritasquote:You could make it so it has unlimited jets O_o if you wanted

I chose "infinite" from Polyworks dropdown menu, but after flying around a while I kinda get the impression that it isn't unlimited, and when you open it up in Polyworks it says "Custom - 32xx".

Tis because you use polyworks :P Map maker plus has unlimited from what I remember :P

Deleted User
November 29, 2005, 4:37 am
quote:Originally posted by Cookie.quote:Originally posted by Veritasquote:You could make it so it has unlimited jets O_o if you wanted

Tis because you use polyworks :P Map maker plus has unlimited from what I remember :P

No it doesn't. It has the same as polyworks.
There is no "infinite" jet fuel, just a ridiculous amount. Seriously, I jetted for like 10 minutes and it took away 1/10 of it.

Deleted User
November 29, 2005, 5:04 am
Barret would be impossible to use on this due to high mvmt. accu.!

Keron Cyst
November 29, 2005, 5:18 am
Whoa, whoa, whoa... flags are affected by colliders? I gotta remember that!

Veritas
November 29, 2005, 11:22 am
quote:Originally posted by Keron CystWhoa, whoa, whoa... flags are affected by colliders? I gotta remember that!

Um, no, they aren't, but they can be affected by bullets shot at them, that's why I put the colliders there.

Soulsnipa
November 29, 2005, 2:36 pm
if u use the one option in polyworks u can make the polygons dissapear to make them totally invisible if u didnt already.

Deleted User
November 29, 2005, 4:08 pm
Lol , no camper + no snipers :D
Funny map i like it.

Deleted User
November 29, 2005, 4:12 pm
quote:Originally posted by Soulsnipaif u use the one option in polyworks u can make the polygons dissapear to make them totally invisible if u didnt already.

Which pretty much acts like a colider, but only for guns.

Soulsnipa
November 29, 2005, 4:42 pm
no u can land on it

Cookie.
November 29, 2005, 5:34 pm
quote:Originally posted by Sgt. Beaverquote:Originally posted by Soulsnipaif u use the one option in polyworks u can make the polygons dissapear to make them totally invisible if u didnt already.

Which pretty much acts like a colider, but only for guns.

I think you mean a collider, but only for soldats xD

Veritas
November 29, 2005, 6:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by Soulsnipaif u use the one option in polyworks u can make the polygons dissapear to make them totally invisible if u didnt already.

There is no such option, you can change the properties of a poly so it doesn't collide with you, or it doesn't collide with bullets, that's all, there is no way in which you can make a poly transparent.

Soulsnipa
November 29, 2005, 6:19 pm
no there is a way otherwise i wouldnt say it. its control+r

Deleted User
November 29, 2005, 10:15 pm
im no softy, this is crap. you used the same scenery over and over and for the most of it didnt minipulate it in the slightest so it atleast looked like a different scenery. also comes thye fact that every mapper makes a map like this for his first map, i know i did.

Veritas
November 30, 2005, 7:46 am
quote:Originally posted by Taalim no softy, this is crap. you used the same scenery over and over and for the most of it didnt minipulate it in the slightest so it atleast looked like a different scenery. also comes thye fact that every mapper makes a map like this for his first map, i know i did.

You know, if only you knew what you were talking about I'd respect your opinion, but you don't.

First of all, there is really only one piece of scenery that actually looks like a cloud, and it doesn't even look especially realistic.

Secondly, if you'd actually looked at the map you'd know I've flipped and stretched the few sceneries I had to work with, but no random rotation, clouds don't hang in the air at an angle.

And finally, this is my fourth map, and I've never seen anything like it before.

Now this kiddies, is one of the many ways in which you can get pwned.

Keron Cyst
November 30, 2005, 6:31 pm
I've given up on waypointing it. The bots take on a movement life of their own in combat and almost always die via that, so there's no point.

:-P

Veritas
November 30, 2005, 6:57 pm
quote:Originally posted by Keron CystI've given up on waypointing it. The bots take on a movement life of their own in combat and almost always die via that, so there's no point.

:-P

What, you mean there's no point in waypointing?

(Rofl)

And yes, I know about that problem, I've tried waypointing it myself but you need waypoints all over the place or the bots are going to fall out of their paths everytime they see something.

Soulsnipa
November 30, 2005, 7:15 pm
quote:Originally posted by Taalim no softy, this is crap. you used the same scenery over and over and for the most of it didnt minipulate it in the slightest so it atleast looked like a different scenery. also comes thye fact that every mapper makes a map like this for his first map, i know i did.

i agree you could have changed the colors of the clouds.

You could have even created another type of scenery.

In your map there are patches of clouds which have different transparancy, wtf is that?

Clouds also tend to clump together and are a lot bigger than a person, yes there are small clouds but i dont see a sigger cloud bigger than like 20 times the size of a soldat. Perhaps put some big clouds in there, make the transparancy different so there looks likes theres a ton of clouds in the background and dont mkae them all jumbled up because it doesnt loook like anything.

And im sure this has been thought of before, I even did I just never really thought it would be worthwhile to make.

The Geologist
November 30, 2005, 7:26 pm
While the concept is nice, I agree with Taal...and I do happen to know what I'm talking about, so please don't try and bring up any "this is how you get pwned" b.s. No one likes an arrogant mapper who can't take criticism.

I think his points are pretty sound because you 1) only used four sceneries and 2) streached and manipulated them fairly little. A little rotation, a little streaching...not appealing imo. Just looks like ten minutes of work spat out in the map maker. And, has been mentioned, this has definately been done before.

A little more time spent on this idea would make it much better. A novel first try at the concept, I must admit, yet it needs spice. Bit too bland.

Veritas
November 30, 2005, 7:26 pm
quote:i agree you could have changed the colors of the clouds.

To what? F*cking green?

quote:You could have even created another type of scenery.

For some random crazy idea and a map I did mostly because of it's novelty value, I don't think so.

quote:In your map there are patches of clouds which have different transparancy, wtf is that?

That's to make the map look a little less like [CENSORED], but you apparently don't know anything about that.

quote:Clouds also tend to clump together and are a lot bigger than a person, yes there are small clouds but i dont see a sigger cloud bigger than like 20 times the size of a soldat. Perhaps put some big clouds in there, make the transparancy different so there looks likes theres a ton of clouds in the background and dont mkae them all jumbled up because it doesnt loook like anything.

This would lead to everstretched scenery, last time I tried making clouds realistically scaled I was critisised for it.

quote:And im sure this has been thought of before, I even did I just never really thought it would be worthwhile to make.

This map took me a good deal less than an hour to make, if anyone really did have this idea before me then they would have probably made a map out of it themselves simply because doing so would be so increadibly simple and they'd quickly find out if it was a good idea or not. Innovative people never come up with a good idea and toss it in the trash without testing it.

Soulsnipa
November 30, 2005, 7:31 pm
ur entitled to ur own opinion

Soulsnipa
November 30, 2005, 7:49 pm
here u inspired me

[IMAGE]

headstone
November 30, 2005, 8:19 pm
damn

Now set that one up like topguns and let's have a game. Make sure some clouds are set to front for hiding!

Soulsnipa
November 30, 2005, 8:31 pm
when i get around to it, ill make sure to set that up for ya!

since veritas is ignorant and doesnt seem to take any of my help, it doesnt look like this will be of much use for him anyway. Thats what seperates the men from the boys i guess. If only everyone could get along...

Veritas
November 30, 2005, 8:54 pm
quote:Originally posted by Soulsnipawhen i get around to it, ill make sure to set that up for ya!

since veritas is ignorant and doesnt seem to take any of my help, it doesnt look like this will be of much use for him anyway. Thats what seperates the men from the boys i guess. If only everyone could get along...

Help? What f*cking help? The nearest thing to help I've gotten from you is the rather stupid critisism that my clouds didn't have enough colour (when you actually implied a change of brightness).

You stupid goddam big headed fool, and to call me a boy? YOU DON'T EVEN F*CKING KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A MAN.

quote:While the concept is nice, I agree with Taal...and I do happen to know what I'm talking about, so please don't try and bring up any "this is how you get pwned" b.s. No one likes an arrogant mapper who can't take criticism.

I can take constructive criticism, but that wasn't what I got from Taal.

quote:I think his points are pretty sound because you 1) only used four sceneries

To my knowledge, there are only four sceneries that I could have used.

quote: and 2) streached and manipulated them fairly little.

As said in another of my replies, the last time I tried to make the clouds realistically scaled I was criticised for overstrethcing them.

quote:Just looks like ten minutes of work spat out in the map maker.

It was actually 40 minutes in polyworks, remember this; "I had one crazy mutherf*cking idea and since it would be so easy to make a map out of it, that's what I did"?

quote:this has definately been done before.

Where and when by who?

The Geologist
November 30, 2005, 11:58 pm
Sorry, I tend to forget bad maps pretty quickly..couldn't tell you who and when. But a word of advice..let's not argue about who here is actually a man and other such, hmm? Soul has some issues with confrontation and superiority, it takes more to be a man than the ability shout, and responding with stuff like "You doing even f*cking know blah blah blah" makes you look just as bad.

Deleted User
December 1, 2005, 4:08 am
You really could have colored the clouds, yaknow... Coulda made the time of day dusk or night time. Having a limited number of different sceneries to choose from is not an excuse for using so limited a variety of them, either; it's as simple as making your own sceneries that meet your requirements. Also, the way the clouds are sorta mixed together is a nice try, but done kinda sloppily. Their use as simple poly-cover-uppers and not as a way to truly enhance the map also leaves much to be wanted.

It seems to me that this map's construction was simply lazy. When maps are posted here, they're assumed to be (for the most part) finished products, unless it's specifically stated otherwise by the mapper. I see no such indication here.

As such, there is a certain standard that this map is held to, and it simply cannot meet it. There is so much that could have been done to drastically improve the map, and yet you failed to do any of it.

Stern
December 1, 2005, 4:30 am
And besides, there's no need to make massive bundles of clouds to cover up polies. Just make polies that are either the same color as the background or have an opacity value of 0 (that makes them invisible, right? never tried it). It's alright, but could use work. And yes, make the clouds pretty colors. Hippielicious.

Deleted User
December 1, 2005, 6:45 am
I apoligize for my harshness with my post, i was still in command mode from my extra ciricular activities. but my point, minus the harshness was still valid, as outlined by my fellow forumers. us mappers have a silent respect for each other and eachothers style of mapping. with that respect is the duty to comment on each others maps. if it needs work well tell you, if its good well tell you. dont take it harshly, take it into consideration

Veritas
December 1, 2005, 11:01 am
Damn, it can be real annoying sometimes to get bogged down in semantics.

But now that we've all explained our standpoints I can better understand what some of your criticism meant, and I thank you all for it, because it means that any future maps I make will have a higher quality.

Raptor
December 7, 2005, 4:50 am
I though of making a map like this one before... but I though it was going to be a total "fracaso"!