( search forums )
a shield (as secondary weap)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
numgun
November 28, 2005, 5:48 pm
yea, a shield that would stop/richrocet(how u spell that?) bullets.
the police use shields against crowds in nowadays.
how to use?
-selectable as secondary weap
-it uses the ammo bar as its health (when zero, the shield brakes)
-richrocets bullets away (not directly back ofcourse)

GOOD:
-if u have to retreat, this gives u a better chance of survival
-or u can use the shield to get closer to an enemy until it breaks

BAD:
-if it breaks, u cant get it back
-u can only use nades when using the shield (no melee attack with shield)
-the shield cant withstand explosives --> shield brakes immidiatly and does damage to u.

Deleted User
November 28, 2005, 6:14 pm
This idea does sound like fun, like a more effective defense then kevlar? Also, it might be better if it were a power up, so it wouldn't be so over used.

The Geologist
November 28, 2005, 6:55 pm
Edit: My mistake...the other shield topic was slightly different. My point still stands. A shield just isn't gonna happen.

Try the search function next time. This has been suggested and shot down more times than I can remember. All the other topics about shields either turn into innane banter or just get locked. It's one of those ideas that looks good on paper but isn't going to cut it in game.

http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=25269
http://soldatforums.com/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=19195
http://soldatforums.com/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=13482
http://soldatforums.com/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=10488
http://soldatforums.com/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=6750

Do your homework.

Deleted User
November 28, 2005, 8:02 pm
Why would it be locked..? :S Anyhow, I like this idea, sounds like fun.

Veritas
November 28, 2005, 8:10 pm
Interesting idea, it might work.

metal123
November 29, 2005, 1:54 am
Sounds a bit like counter strike. Dont forget a bad part could be your heads vunorable to attacks. There could just be a mod like realistic mod for this but theres too many other topics wothy of a mod.

Deleted User
November 29, 2005, 2:04 am
Could come in handy, but us skilled players dont need them. I'm not into camping, and if did, it would be with the law or barret, not a sheild.

Tybs
November 29, 2005, 10:10 am
I think this could prove useful in CTF... it occurs now and then that im almost dead while running away with the flag, and a shield would be way better than shooting back at people chasing u.

Echo_Trail
November 29, 2005, 10:52 am
i don't think it would work out, but i'm for trying it out! Maybe it should only deffend against bullets that bounce off ground.. that was it would be great in narrow quarters..
Let's not make this game all to cs alike..

numgun
November 29, 2005, 11:12 am
well... i dunno about cs, coz i havent played it ever.

but few things i like to add:
-the shield covers ur torso and a little bit of ur head
-ur legs are fully vulnurable, unless u crouch (ur head will be still vulnurable a little bit)

GOOD:
-ur team mates can go behind u for cover if u have a shield

and the shield would defenatly NOT be over-used because of its 1 time usage.
(the shield can brake! remember that.)

Echo_Trail
November 29, 2005, 12:05 pm
if it doesnt cover your hole body, what's the deal?
Any well placed shot would kill you.. And also, think about the time it takes to switch from shield back to primeary gun! If the shield isn't more protective than that, it simply will be of no use..
I like the idea about having to crouch in or for it to protect the legs though..

Captain Ben
November 29, 2005, 12:28 pm
I'm only going to support this if you can use it as a sled for going down slopes.

numgun
November 29, 2005, 4:40 pm
good idea!

1. take out a shield
2. find a slope
3. press the prone button
4. slide

and the shield would cover the soldier 2/3
(head, torso, penis? xD)

Deleted User
November 29, 2005, 5:04 pm
Argh, stop trying to do Soldat same as CS :/

Shield just gonna lalglaglalgalg. Like tha new LAW:<

Deleted User
November 29, 2005, 5:11 pm
Does the shield go into effect just by being held or will you have to fire it?

Echo_Trail
November 30, 2005, 8:28 pm
I love you, Ben!

Veritas
November 30, 2005, 8:47 pm
quote:Originally posted by Captain BenI'm only going to support this if you can use it as a sled for going down slopes.

I'll second that, and also, you should be able to kill people this way, or at least damage them by running into their kneecaps.

numgun
December 1, 2005, 8:12 am
quote:Originally posted by Veritasquote:Originally posted by Captain BenI'm only going to support this if you can use it as a sled for going down slopes.

I'll second that, and also, you should be able to kill people this way, or at least damage them by running into their kneecaps.

Approved! =D

Muffin: just hold it tight, thats all. the ammo bar will represent its ''health''

Nookie:how would a shield lag? eh. and as i said before i dont play CS!!1

Tybs
December 1, 2005, 10:05 am
Think most people like the idea of the shield... anyone still objects? Otherwise, i really think MM should implement this :D

Deleted User
December 1, 2005, 12:06 pm
I can see me and Numgun changing it to a laser sheild. I don't want to see a sec weapon drop out, so I reckon add one

Deleted User
December 1, 2005, 12:23 pm
I can just picture ctf_Iceland with this... As if the chainsaw alone didn't make it hilarious enough.

A shield would make an interesting addition to the game, as a 5th secondary to choose from. I also like that shield-bashing thing; it could be like a punch that knocks the target over or pushes them back.

Tybs
December 1, 2005, 12:40 pm
It should be a bash that stuns a soldier for a few moments... not too long, 1 second or maybe half a second would be enough. Could give a new possibility to succesfully flee ^^

numgun
December 1, 2005, 1:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by DezonusI can see me and Numgun changing it to a laser sheild. I don't want to see a sec weapon drop out, so I reckon add one

wtf? are u reading my mind or sumthing?!
coz that was in my mind!

and yea, it will be a new secondary, so no removing other weaps.

Captain Ben
December 1, 2005, 2:41 pm
I have no qualms against the sheild. Hell, make it so it's unbreakable! The only real catches would be you not being able to attack, you can still get taken down from behind and you use up your jets 50% faster than normal, not to menion that your speed should also be cut down a fair bit.
But then again, if you should crouch with it, you should be completely covered from the angle that you're facing.

PROTECTION SHOULD COME AT A PRICE!

Deleted User
December 1, 2005, 9:07 pm
I reckon when you have the sheild, you should travel at half speed, but when it's not in your hands, it should protect your back. Of course, when sliding you should travel double.
quote:Originally posted by numgunquote:Originally posted by DezonusI can see me and Numgun changing it to a laser sheild. I don't want to see a sec weapon drop out, so I reckon add one

wtf? are u reading my mind or sumthing?!
coz that was in my mind!

and yea, it will be a new secondary, so no removing other weaps.

I don't need to reed your mind, cause thats my style aswell. My stuff is ment to be from Megatrazainian, which is set in the year 5000 (If your intrested, go to [URL]). So yeah, of course I'm going to have one, and I've seen your weapons, which are pretty similar.

numgun
December 7, 2005, 5:14 pm
well... ok then. let it be reloadable!
here:

-the shield has a health bar which indicates how many hits it can take
-once it goes down to zero, the shield ''reloads'' back.
-while reloading, u are fully vulnurable
-a slow reload (maybe same as law)

Antifate
December 7, 2005, 11:53 pm
I would like it to be an unbreakable thing, but you need to SHOOT to block, and when you shoot you cannot move. That would be good. It allows the player you're facing to have an okay chance of killing you. When you are blocking autos, you can hold the shoot button, but over time you will take damage, so you have to shoot repeatedly...

numgun
December 8, 2005, 9:42 am
nope... just no.
how do you plan to rampage with the shield then?

GARAoftheDESERT
December 8, 2005, 2:35 pm
I like it. Although a baret would probly still go right thrugh it (or break it in one hit) And this is NOT cs, more like Red Faction
I like the idea of covering my team (would make it easyer to kill stationary guns) :)

Tybs
December 8, 2005, 10:51 pm
I see people working together already with one guy shielding, and another using m79 to shoot over his teammate and wreaking havoc... :P

Deleted User
December 8, 2005, 11:29 pm
It'd be good. Promote teamwork.

And others could come up behind you and fire, as if they were firing over an obstacle. With thier gun pointing over the top. But then obvuislly the guy with the sheild would have to be crouching.

Deleted User
December 12, 2005, 3:20 am
The way I see it, the shield'd work by having you hold it forward when "firing." Naturally, for that to work right, there'd have to be practically no reload time and a firing interval of 1 (or even better, no firing interval). Something like the barret would obviously penetrate it, and something high-powered like the stat-gun would push you backwards bit by bit.

For bashing people with the shield, "firing" can simply have the effect of whacking people instead of blocking bullets, preferrably with its own animation.

DeMo
December 12, 2005, 4:18 am
Has been suggested a thousand times.

And please, Soldat is NOT Counter-Strike.
BTW.. the shield was the most stupid thing added to CS ever.. imagine how it would be on Soldat.

numgun
December 12, 2005, 10:09 am
GODDAMMIT DeMo!!!1 read the whole topic! as i said before i havent ever played counter strike. so i dont know anything about it! [CENSORED]!

Deleted User
December 12, 2005, 11:28 am
I think youre idea its not just good in soldat

Lolly
December 16, 2005, 7:53 pm
<3 Shield.

My idea: Holding the shield blocks bullets, and clicking would do sort of a shield-bash. It would protect everything except the feet while walking, but everything's protected while crouching.

This would be overused. ^^

Solution- When hit with a large bullet(eg: Barret/A couple stat rounds) you stumble and lower your shield, leavining you vulnerable, while your reload bar refilled.( You would reposition your shield during this time)

Any thoughts?

CrazyKid980
December 17, 2005, 4:38 pm
Lol, we could have bobsled maps now, heh heh.

Kaider
December 17, 2005, 7:49 pm
This would rock. I like the idea of after the shield depletes,it has to reload (you have to repair it). I can imagine good teamwork strategies with this implemented. I'm a strategist, so I'd have to say this is a great idea, i'm all for teamwork.

Add on: You know how people mod the chainsaw to make it push you forward? Imagine that with the shield, rampaging into the enemy base with a shield. Then there would be reload (repair) times, So it would be like a jetpack (get your fuel!)