( search forums )
htf_Specca: my first map...
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
Keron Cyst
November 29, 2005, 1:20 am
Upon request by semagae, I release a screenie of this map.

Don't handicap me by saying "Wow this is liek awesum fer your first map"; I will ignore all such comments. I know what mapping is like, and I know that this map, just like I prophesied to Sticky, is less than official map quality. I want to know what is wrong with this map; something seems strange about it.

It seems plain. There is much scenery but it just seems plain. I shaded most of the polygons and colored various areas but it still doesn't look good IMO.

[IMAGE]

60% zoom.

Thanks to Anna for her 1337 "18 crappy textures" pack

I want to know if it is worth waypointing. What do I need to improve on?

Note: I think I will color the left wall tan later.

lithium
November 29, 2005, 2:15 am
LIEK AWWWSSUMMM 4 UR FIRSTZ MAPP LOLz!1!!

Juuuuust kidding. It looks pretty good to me, but it seems something is missing. As you said, it seems a little bare, and I think this is because the colors and theme of the map kind of blend with the scenery, so it doesn't really look like there's anything there except bare polys. I like the design though, perhaps you just need a little more work with the shading and such.

OutofOrder
November 29, 2005, 2:50 am
well if you placed all of the spawns at the bottom, and the flag at the top, the fight to get there first should be entertaining (so would be the fight to get it out of there or hold it there and defend).
about the looks...don't think i got enough authority for that ;D but it seems too grey for me.

Deleted User
November 29, 2005, 3:28 am
i win :P
i made it into the first 4 words :P

great layout and shading :D
cool texture :D
nothing looks bad :)
let me waypoint it :P

Soulsnipa
November 29, 2005, 3:49 am
the shading on the bottom is actually very sexy.

the rest of the map is just not looking good.

Whats with the random greenness?

As u move up theres less shading...looks kinda gross and blended

some ragged edges all over the place

not a very symetrical shape...kinda weird and goofy lookin

not enough scenery

uppermost top-part just isnt straight and smooth and looks unorganized

Some random pointed polygons on the left

Keron Cyst
November 29, 2005, 4:09 am
·The green? There's vegetation on that side (maybe I ought to add more and make it more perceptible), but I dunno, I wanted to get away from it all. I've tried giving random sections different colors, but then it just looks weird.
·It's not supposed to be completely symmetrical; I hate those kinds of maps. Note how the bridge on the right is busted, so that also tells you it's not "run to the top and hold the flag" or else the right side would be unfair (I forgot to show SPs).
·Not enough scenery? What else is there to add? I guess I'll put some barrels in the top-left, and some junk in the very top-right... another dead tree at the bottom...
·I agree that the upper area looks weird now that I can actually see my own map from overhead xD I'll fix up that small rock later.
·As long as jagged polygons are outside and untouchable I don't care 'bout 'em. Most official maps have weird polygons outside the playing field, anyways.

See, I'm trying to give it a tone similar to inf_Outpost in that there is hardly any vegetation at all and is more of a scorched earth, but of a brighter tone; I'm not sure how to achieve the best effect, and how to go about the best shading method for the higher boulders.

The center-bottom's shading seems too triangular. I'll fix that too later.

Eoi
November 29, 2005, 10:12 pm
It does look like something is missing, and i think its the textres fault, it makes it seem bare and empty, try other textures....might help.
Anyway, good map, thought of downloading it, but
1. I don't download maps because i won't play them
2. I dont play hold the flag

You could also make the outside walls thicker, I like it think, mmmm.....cream
Shading is good
Since the left is green and right will be tan make the flag spawn yellow

Thats my advice

OutofOrder
November 30, 2005, 1:08 am
and you wouldn't have downloaded the map because ... there's no file for download!!! xD

keron, where did you plan to place the spawns and flag?

Keron Cyst
November 30, 2005, 3:20 am
Sorry, I was kinda in a rush so I didn't label them. And that is definitely not 60%; freakin' Photo Bucket resizes images with a large filesize...

What can I do about the shading of upper boulders? I'll take another IS-hosted pic. when that's improved on.

Soulsnipa
November 30, 2005, 3:37 am
start with darker gray at the top and black at the very bottom instead of white at the top and gray at the bottom

Stern
November 30, 2005, 3:54 am
It's good, but add more sceneries, make the green polies look a little less icky, and do more overall shading.

Deleted User
November 30, 2005, 7:53 pm
Can't really tell much about the map if you don't post a d/l link.

Looks:
More or less crapy,
change the colors that they can go well with each other,
also give it an ambient, need LOTS of scenery.

Gameplay:
Can't be for shure,
but it remindes me of Mario style gameplay, which soldat ain't.

Put more effort in your maps,
and make more, some of them are most likely
to be good.

Echo_Trail
November 30, 2005, 8:37 pm
Guys, it's his first map, ok!?!
Give the fellah a break!:D