( search forums )
Grenade Bar / Delay Between throws
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
November 30, 2005, 8:17 am
Idea is simple. Basicly, a small bar probably below your ammunition bar or above it that represents Grenades, and would most likely move your grenade counter under to aswell.

Now to get indepth...

Grenades you wind up to throw. Basicly, the longer you hold E, the bar will gradually rise to show full power of the throw. This will NOT affect how grenades are thrown, none of that. Once again, its a simple representation of the power put into the throw.

For the second half of this idea, and the more relevant part which I really want to focus on...

Grenade spam, IMO is a bit annoying. It lags, and things get extremely messy, and extremely annoying. Its not a major problem, but it gets annoying. One way it is ESPECIALLY annoying, is for example at Ctf_Voland when you're inside your base, perhaps you just spawned, and someone spams the area around the flag or the passage leading to the flag, blowing you up into the spikes in the base.

The way i wanted to slow grenade spam down a bit, is just have a small delay inbetween each throw. The bar will work great, because once you throw a grenade, there will be perhaps a 1 second delay inbetween each throw, and the grenade bar will instead slowly decrease, until you can throw another, similar to shot delay.

EDIT:

I found one tiny error in this. Well, if you throw a grenade LIGHTLY, bar barely goes up and slowly coming down would mean a very small delay, not solving anything. I thought the bar could shoot up to full when the grenade throws, but whatever, its just minor.

-----

Swarmer
December 1, 2005, 4:18 am
I think the best way to improve the issue of nade spam is to focus on fixing the netcode. nades are easy to dodge, but plenty of people die becuase the location of the nade is poorly represented by its image. If the nades were actaully were they appeared to be, there would be less deaths from nade spam.

Another solution would be to make explosions not trigger grenades. That way there will be more controlled explosions, and not massive kabooms that send everyone flying.

Deleted User
December 1, 2005, 6:20 am
Im talking generally about keeping people from launching 50 million grenades at once. The netcode doesnt affect how fast you throw grenades. o.o;

numgun
December 1, 2005, 8:09 am
umm... what does ''IMO'' mean?

Leo Da Lunerfox
December 1, 2005, 9:13 am
In my opinion (IMO)

The Geologist
December 1, 2005, 9:34 am
Would this be because you died on Voland? ^_^

I like the nades as they are, aside from the issues that Swarmer pointed out. As things are I like the ability to throw nades quickly, especially if I'm in the air or short on ammo. A delay would just add another odd feeling to the flow of the game, and delaing weapons is already a very tricky matter. People raised hell with the law, and nades are much more commonplace in terms of use. Dun mess with 'em.

Tybs
December 1, 2005, 10:30 am
Like geologist said already, keep the nades like they are now... the way it goes atm works great for this game. The only thing with nades that should get solved is the problem lag can give... sometimes i throw a nade to someone, on my screen it exploded because it hit a crate or something like it, but when i get to the ground and want to continue, i suddenly kill myself because of the nade which was actually lying around there... i only couldnt see him because it exploded on my screen before already.

The idea of having a bar that shows the strength ur throwing with is nice though... of course not necessary, but it would be a good add-on for the game.

Deleted User
December 1, 2005, 9:22 pm
Grenades are perfect as they are, we don't need a delay. There is already a slight delay set anyway, or are you thinking of a similar delay to the barret?

Deleted User
December 2, 2005, 6:22 am
No, a delay inbetween throws. Basicly, you cant throw 4 in under a second (What the hell, 2 seconds - thats actually balanced -_-). Just slightly slower, easening up Grenade Spam. I was thinking this could totally be edited in weapon editor too.

reckon
December 2, 2005, 8:20 am
Id like to see the feature if a grenade is hit by a bullet, it would explode, this would be great for clearing any that might be in your way.

Tybs
December 2, 2005, 9:09 am
Thats something ive been thinking about some time as well... it would be a good feature to add i think. Cant wait to have people explode their own grenades in their face ^^